that ol starvation mode.

Options
im not sure if this article has ever been posted but its one of my favorite pieces written on "starvation mode". There are funnyish parts and some bad word so count me in! (article pertains to SM not existing) there are some mentions of adaptive thermogenesis which is real.. but so slight it almost doesnt exist. losing weight is hard... but blaming a deficit is kinda funny.. It took me 4 years to gain the 16 (i could have lost about 4 pounds or lowered my bf% when i weighed 116(i am 5'2). in fact it took 2 years to put on the last 5ish. Weight loss isnt going to be fast. Either way sorry for the rant this is a pretty cool read for those blaming that pest "starvation mode" its long but i enjoyed it.
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Replies

• lasirena624
    lasirena624 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The article was funny and informative. I like the direct and simple nature of the article, even though I can see the author has some in depth and understanding of a complicated topic area. I actually used this article to link me to the suthor's note on plateau and I got the answer I was looking for for myself.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This article is brilliant... should be a sticky that says MUST READ!!! :) Now we also need one for detoxes :D
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This was amazing.
  • wnlbutterfly
    wnlbutterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was in WW about 10 yrs ago and on their forums this nonsense was everywhere. I tried to point out how it wasn't logical but OMG they adament. But interesting to see if they are still clinging to it.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This needs a sticky!
  • earthboundveg
    earthboundveg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very informative read! Thanks for posting.
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sad thing is, people can read this and STILL insist that starvation mode is real. Palm? Meet face.

Next you'll tell me there is no Santa Claus.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    That is terrific! Going back to read the "Muscle Weighs More Than Fat" link.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly there is another article in this site about weighing solids vs measuring....

Or maybe the gambit of excuses people use for not losing weight...good site with good info.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this article yesterday, it became my current favorite (cursing and correct information), I passed it along to my friends on my wall as well. :smiley:
  • kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is perfect! It honestly made me feel better because when I tell everyone I've been stuck at the same weight, they always make excuses for me! It motivates me to know that it is within MY control and MY caloric intake. Obviously it's something I'm doing, not "gaining muscle" or "at a plateau". Thanks for the share! :smile:
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Sad thing is, people can read this and STILL insist that starvation mode is real. Palm? Meet face.

i knooow haha it's frustrating. I personally never believed in starvation mode.. maybe i payed attention in history to much to see what it looks like when people starve. I think for most people starvation mode is just a mix of misinformation, frustration, and excuses. Which isn't help'n no one!
  • fishshark
    Options
    This article is brilliant... should be a sticky that says MUST READ!!! :) Now we also need one for detoxes :D

right?! i feel like when someone starts a weight loss journey it should be like.... CICO... dont need to cut anything out, but u can... starvation mode isnt real... be patient.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    That was an awesome read thanks for sharing this!!
  • fishshark
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Someone posted this article yesterday, it became my current favorite (cursing and correct information), I passed it along to my friends on my wall as well. :smiley:

prett much what got me too i was like yesssss!
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    im not sure if this article has ever been posted but its one of my favorite pieces written on "starvation mode". There are funnyish parts and some bad word so count me in! (article pertains to SM not existing) there are some mentions of adaptive thermogenesis which is real.. but so slight it almost doesnt exist. losing weight is hard... but blaming a deficit is kinda funny.. It took me 4 years to gain the 16 (i could have lost about 4 pounds or lowered my bf% when i weighed 116(i am 5'2). in fact it took 2 years to put on the last 5ish. Weight loss isnt going to be fast. Either way sorry for the rant this is a pretty cool read for those blaming that pest "starvation mode" its long but i enjoyed it.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Loved this article! Thanks for sharing!
  • ari7l
    ari7l Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is perfect! It honestly made me feel better because when I tell everyone I've been stuck at the same weight, they always make excuses for me! It motivates me to know that it is within MY control and MY caloric intake. Obviously it's something I'm doing, not "gaining muscle" or "at a plateau". Thanks for the share! :smile:

Just curious, did u find a way to break the plateau?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ari7l wrote: »

Just curious, did u find a way to break the plateau?

a plateau means you are eating at maintenance...eat less or exercise more or both.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Great article.

And when you ask these people to explain anorexia, they ignore the question and keep beating that poor old dead horse.

The stupid is real, people.