Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does a high fat diet reduce cholesterol numbers?

Replies

• willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    My total cholesterol is 116
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    One more thing, just based on the definition of ketosis, I would expect most people to go into it for weight loss purposes (if you have a large deficit). My body fat was way higher than it should have been in the first place.

Those are some awesome ratios. Would you say your source of carbs are mainly processed or not.

Ketosis I think based on my personal experience (n=1) is popular for some because it killed all of my cravings that was driving me to abuse processed carbs that just about took me out of the game of life. As I noted elsewhere I added an apple last night when I learned my ketone level was 2.9 and today it was back down to 2.2 and I feel better.

On a hunch I cut out sugar and all forms of all grains to see if it would manage my pain (and it did) so I did not have to start on Enbrel injections. I had already gone hog wild on coconut oil for the MCT's so I was eating keto accidentally before I found MFP. I am learning about Keto daily on MFP.

I went back in history to when my doctor wanted me on statins (which I took for a while but don't anymore). I was really bad about taking them.

Total Cholesterol - 223
    Triglycerides - 57
    HDL - 62
    LDL 150
    Chol/HDL Ratio - 3.6

I'm 5' 10 and that was when I weighed about 185-190lbs (BMI 27+). I weighed about 169lbs when I got the good results. I kept losing weight for blood pressure reasons.

I am a very bad example for carb eating. I eat donuts, bagels, pizza, whatever but I pay attention to my fiber and protein goals. I also separate my meals in 2-3 hour increments. So some days I load up on fat, others I load up on carbs.

As someone else said, everyone is different with what they can handle. I think though that is leads back to calorie intake levels and body fat (with the exception of some people)

To correlate it back to the OPs original question, if I had the resources available to me for testing, what I would really love to explore is this:-

As fats are increased, and calorie intake is set to maintain within a normal BMI range, there might be increases in total cholesterol, but that increase will be within a reasonable range and the chol/hdl level may be improved.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016

healthline.com/health/cholesterol-can-it-be-too-low#Overview1

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/15/why-low-cholesterol-is-not-good-for-you.aspx William this Dr. plays out in right field out near the fence but he does some times catch a fly ball.

circ.ahajournals.org/content/92/9/2365.full This is a health condition the doctors have know about for 20+ years.

ctds.info/low_cholesterol.html

@willammoney Here is a guy's story you may want to read more than the other links above. His level was 164 was not as critical but this is his personal story.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    One more thing, just based on the definition of ketosis, I would expect most people to go into it for weight loss purposes (if you have a large deficit). My body fat was way higher than it should have been in the first place.

Those are some awesome ratios. Would you say your source of carbs are mainly processed or not.

Ketosis I think based on my personal experience (n=1) is popular for some because it killed all of my cravings that was driving me to abuse processed carbs that just about took me out of the game of life. As I noted elsewhere I added an apple last night when I learned my ketone level was 2.9 and today it was back down to 2.2 and I feel better.

On a hunch I cut out sugar and all forms of all grains to see if it would manage my pain (and it did) so I did not have to start on Enbrel injections. I had already gone hog wild on coconut oil for the MCT's so I was eating keto accidentally before I found MFP. I am learning about Keto daily on MFP.

I went back in history to when my doctor wanted me on statins (which I took for a while but don't anymore). I was really bad about taking them.

Total Cholesterol - 223
    Triglycerides - 57
    HDL - 62
    LDL 150
    Chol/HDL Ratio - 3.6

I'm 5' 10 and that was when I weighed about 185-190lbs (BMI 27+). I weighed about 169lbs when I got the good results. I kept losing weight for blood pressure reasons.

I am a very bad example for carb eating. I eat donuts, bagels, pizza, whatever but I pay attention to my fiber and protein goals. I also separate my meals in 2-3 hour increments. So some days I load up on fat, others I load up on carbs.

As someone else said, everyone is different with what they can handle. I think though that is leads back to calorie intake levels and body fat (with the exception of some people)

To correlate it back to the OPs original question, if I had the resources available to me for testing, what I would really love to explore is this:-

As fats are increased, and calorie intake is set to maintain within a normal BMI range, there might be increases in total cholesterol, but that increase will be within a reasonable range and the chol/hdl level may be improved.

Man those were some awesome numbers/ratios before treatment.
  • 20yearsyounger

Man those were some awesome numbers/ratios before treatment.

My doctor didn't think so. Honestly though, I feel way much better now than I did then. I'm not walking around bumping into things anymore, no back and chest pains from bending over, and I have a little bit more spring in my step :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/15/why-low-cholesterol-is-not-good-for-you.aspx William this Dr. plays out in right field out near the fence but he does some times catch a fly ball.

circ.ahajournals.org/content/92/9/2365.full This is a health condition the doctors have know about for 20+ years.

@willammoney Here is a guy's story you may want to read more than the other links above. His level was 164 was not as critical but this is his personal story.

I've done some reading on this as well and it does seem that there are some potential health problems that can arise from low total cholesterol numbers. You don't usually hear about it though, so much emphasis is on lowering (higher) numbers.
  • willammoney

I purposely lowered it from 140 through diet after reading the china study/esselstyn
  • willammoney
    At 43 I'll take my low cholesterol and 110/70
    Although I have been thinking about it being too low but I have not had any ill effects. Now if I can lose the next20 lbs .....lol
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    @Traveler120 Thanks. It seems like you self-experimented on yourself.
    I wanted numbers and someone that did not lose a lot of weight
    I wanted to know from a healthy vegetarian switching to High fat would help.
    And I think you helped most.
    I'm staying with lots of fruits and vegetables (not on weekends).
    Almost seems like in these studies the people eat a lot of those bad carbs (junk) before changing over.

I 100% agree that low carb is an excellent way to lose weight FAST.
    But I am not sure if a high fat diet BEATS a plant based diet for cholesterol numbers.
    I plan to raise my HDL by exercising more.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Almost half the patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease have LDL levels <100 mg/dL

http://www.ahjonline.com/article/S0002-8703(08)00717-5/abstract
  • 20yearsyounger
    yarwell wrote: »
    Almost half the patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease have LDL levels <100 mg/dL

Maybe thats why HDL is part of the key ratios. 10% had HDL > 60, and 1% a combination of low LDL and high HDL.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    50% of men over age 65 are on statin drugs (chart on site).
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/statin-use-is-up-cholesterol-levels-are-down-are-americans-hearts-benefiting-201104151518
    I wonder if these statins really do anything besides just lower the numbers.
    I think that 50% of people hospitalized have low LDL, but it's a fake low LDL due to prescription pills.
    I think we are getting the wool pulled over our heads by the drug companies !
  • 20yearsyounger
    50% of men over age 65 are on statin drugs (chart on site).
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/statin-use-is-up-cholesterol-levels-are-down-are-americans-hearts-benefiting-201104151518
    I wonder if these statins really do anything besides just lower the numbers.
    I think that 50% of people hospitalized have low LDL, but it's a fake low LDL due to prescription pills.
    I think we are getting the wool pulled over our heads by the drug companies !

Good point. When I was on statins, there was no doubt that my LDL and total numbers were lower but what it did for my overall health that I dont do now? I dont know.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2016
    Man, the posted triglyceride numbers make mine look down right terrifying! My last numbers were

Triglyceride 417 mg/dL -Standard Range 0 - 150 mg/dL
    Triglyceride is greater than 400. LDL Calculation is invalid and cannot be reported.

Cholesterol- 184 mg/dL -Standard Range 7 - 200 mg/dL
    HDL Chol- 24 mg/dL -Standard Range 40 - 200 mg/dL
    T Chol/HDL Ratio- 7.7 Standard Range<5.0
    Non HDL Cholesterol- 160 mg/dL -Standard Range 0 - 130 mg/dLTotal
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Almost seems like in these studies the people eat a lot of those bad carbs (junk) before changing over.

But I am not sure if a high fat diet BEATS a plant based diet for cholesterol numbers.

If you're counting net carbs, there's plenty of room for healthy plants and oils, sí?
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    edited April 2016

FWIW, I can tell you my personal experience. In 20s, eating a vegan whole foods diet and exercising a TON, I remember having my cholesterol checked. My HDL was too low (I want to say around 40 or so?), which seemed to make me high risk, but my total cholesterol was also very low, making the ratio good. I didn't really think about it after that.

Now I've been eating LCHF whole foods for several years. My last check up my HDL was high (around 80), while my total cholesterol was still normal and my triglycerides were low. When I got results, I compared it with a chart, and I was in the lowest risk factor for every single category, not just for my age and gender, but for the lowest values, which I think was 18 yr old males.

My weight has fluctuated greatly between having 3 pregnancies, but now I'm within 5 lbs of where I was at that time in my 20s--lighter with a whole lot less exercising.
  • yarwell
    edited April 2016
    yarwell wrote: »

Maybe thats why HDL is part of the key ratios. 10% had HDL > 60, and 1% a combination of low LDL and high HDL.

Indeed, More than half the patients have admission HDL levels <40 mg/dL, whereas <10% have HDL ≥60 mg/dL.

We should also note that " Before admission, only 28,944 (21.1%) patients were receiving lipid-lowering medications. "

GPs use Risk calculators not single variables. My HDL of 70 keeps the doctor at bay.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Man, the posted triglyceride numbers make mine look down right terrifying! My last numbers were

Triglyceride 417 mg/dL -Standard Range 0 - 150 mg/dL
    Triglyceride is greater than 400. LDL Calculation is invalid and cannot be reported.

Cholesterol- 184 mg/dL -Standard Range 7 - 200 mg/dL
    HDL Chol- 24 mg/dL -Standard Range 40 - 200 mg/dL
    T Chol/HDL Ratio- 7.7 Standard Range<5.0
    Non HDL Cholesterol- 160 mg/dL -Standard Range 0 - 130 mg/dLTotal

Pretty interesting that your total Cholesterol remains so low. I assume this is without medication?
  • 20yearsyounger

FWIW, I can tell you my personal experience. In 20s, eating a vegan whole foods diet and exercising a TON, I remember having my cholesterol checked. My HDL was too low (I want to say around 40 or so?), which seemed to make me high risk, but my total cholesterol was also very low, making the ratio good. I didn't really think about it after that.

Now I've been eating LCHF whole foods for several years. My last check up my HDL was high (around 80), while my total cholesterol was still normal and my triglycerides were low. When I got results, I compared it with a chart, and I was in the lowest risk factor for every single category, not just for my age and gender, but for the lowest values, which I think was 18 yr old males.

My weight has fluctuated greatly between having 3 pregnancies, but now I'm within 5 lbs of where I was at that time in my 20s--lighter with a whole lot less exercising.

This is exactly what I would expect.
  • yarwell