Any advice for someone who hates exercise ?

Options
13»

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Go to the library and check out the different types of videos. Get free trials at different types of gyms like crossfit, yoga, kickboxing and see what you like.
  • sophiemaecoates1996
    Options
    heyaberg wrote: »
    heyaberg wrote: »
    I hated exercise as well - Used to donate to my gym every month.
    I accidentally stumbled into a pole dancing class and now I'm hooked. It's the most fun I've ever had and because of it I'm now showing up to the gym to get more strength for the more advanced moves :D
    Try to find something you love, try pole dancing, ballet, ballroom dancing or what ever you think you might enjoy :D

I have never really thought outside the box its defintly something i would consider :)

Yeah you should.. There are so many things out there to try and if you're not into dancing there are so many other options.. football (I think americans call it soccer), running, martial arts, climbing, swimming and I could go on forever. Just pick the one you've always wanted to try and go for it :D

Keep us posted on your journey :D I wanna know what you'll end up loving ;)

Okay so have had a look at my local gym and i have decided to take up boxasize.... Its a cross between boxing, dancing and steparobics...... I wll let everyone know how i get on tomorrow :)
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Check out marksdailyapple.com . You don't really need a defined exercise program. Our ancestors didn't have one. Just find a way to incorporate some sort of movement every day.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Check out marksdailyapple.com . You don't really need a defined exercise program. Our ancestors didn't have one. Just find a way to incorporate some sort of movement every day.

He's a quack.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options

He's a quack.

I don't subscribe to everything he believes, but he does have some interesting articles about exercise. I did try the Paleo thing for a while, but I gained weight on it. I did feel good, but didn't want to carry around the extra 15 lbs I gained. I also would lose tons of hair every time I tried to go that low carb. Men seem to do better on it. If you think about it though, our ancestors or even our grandparents didn't go to gyms and most of them were skinner and in better health than our current generation. So what's the difference? They got lots of more activity than we do and they probably had a safer food supply than us.

Did you know he's on the Beachbody DVD's. If I remember right he helped created Shakeology.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise and have failed to fing anything that i enjoy any advice?

My suggestion is to try it for a month before your write it off. It can be a huge lifestyle change and hard to adapt to.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

He's a quack.

I don't subscribe to everything he believes, but he does have some interesting articles about exercise. I did try the Paleo thing for a while, but I gained weight on it. I did feel good, but didn't want to carry around the extra 15 lbs I gained. I also would lose tons of hair every time I tried to go that low carb. Men seem to do better on it. If you think about it though, our ancestors or even our grandparents didn't go to gyms and most of them were skinner and in better health than our current generation. So what's the difference? They got lots of more activity than we do and they probably had a safer food supply than us.

Did you know he's on the Beachbody DVD's. If I remember right he helped created Shakeology.

Right. He's a quack. He promotes primal.

As for our ancestors having a safer food supply lol. Ever read The Jungle? If you're talking ancient ancestors then they died before they reached my age. It's much better to rely upon evidence-based approaches than to rely on nice stories about cavemen leading healthy and fulfilling lives.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options

He's a quack.

As for our ancestors having a safer food supply lol. Ever read The Jungle? If you're talking ancient ancestors then they died before they reached my age. It's much better to rely upon evidence-based approaches than to rely on nice stories about cavemen leading healthy and fulfilling lives.

The caveman thing is 100% marketing. If you boil primal, paleo, or any other similar diet down to the fundamentals, all they're saying is "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." But it's kind of funny watching people twist themselves into logical Mobius strips trying to explain how Weight Watchers frankendinners are a better diet than meat, fruit, and vegetables at the same calorie count.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

He's a quack.

The caveman thing is 100% marketing. If you boil primal, paleo, or any other similar diet down to the fundamentals, all they're saying is "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." But it's kind of funny watching people twist themselves into logical Mobius strips trying to explain how Weight Watchers frankendinners are a better diet than meat, fruit, and vegetables at the same calorie count.

The problem is that they also demonize perfectly legitimate foods, such as dairy, legumes, and grains. Mark also promotes a zero sweets approach which is unnecessary. The overall caveman story/voodoo is also patently absurd and has been the subject of withering attacks from real scientists. I have little knowledge regarding weight watchers except that I think I had an aunt on it once. It seems just as silly.
  • sadmaker
    sadmaker Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I dont love exercise, I just finished 2 months of insanity and it sucked. I love the benefits. Exercize 6 days per week for a month and it'll become a habit.

Also, I don't belong to a gym and probably never will. I'm happy coming home from work, throwing in a beachbody DVD, then showering and moving on with my day. The "scared of the gym/dont like being watched" thing is just an excuse.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think you often have to get used to doing the exercise before you start to love it. Most people don't generally feel great about doing something new, difficult, out of our comfort zone etc. on the first attempt. You have to build some confidence first.

Hopefully boxercise is something you can grow to enjoy, but if it's not totally brilliant first time, maybe give it another go before giving up on it.
  • onefitproject
    onefitproject Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise and have failed to fing anything that i enjoy any advice?

Like Lounmoun said...the key question is
    What's your main goal?
    What is your WHY, your reason for even considering exercise.
    Are u trying to lose weight?
    Be healthier for your family?
    Get stronger??

"Once you figure out your WHY, then the HOW becomes easy!"
  • DaceyG1990
    DaceyG1990 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Dance!!!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    make a deficit with food only

^^^this works^^^
  • Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do group ex classes and they make the biggest difference. It also helps that my gym has an amazing morning group ex group. We all just show up every morning, knowing that people are going to be there with smiling faces and working with you towards similar goals.
  • Khepri_Erika
    Khepri_Erika Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the class, its sounds like you have a gym phobia, not necessarily that you hate exercising. I had it forever until, I challenged myself to just walk in go on the treadmill for at least 30mins. I wasn't focused on anything else just that I made myself get in the gym. When I noticed that there was nothing to be scared of, there are tons of different types of people in the gym at different fitness level. Once I noticed ok how ridiculous that I've been scared, it got easier. To start setting up fitness challenges for myself every time I go in.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Also I do second what someone else said above. I used to HATE excersizing until I started forcing myself to go to the gym, and now I just love how it makes me feel! I feel myself getting stronger and now I challenge myself every time to do the stationary bike faster or lift heavier. On days that I don't go to the gym I feel sluggish. And if someone had said that I'd feel that way just 6 months ago I would have laughed!

I suppose its just that though of going outside of my comfort zone and the thought of people staring at me while working out but then we r all there for the same reason i guess

Do you think the people in the video on the home page of this link are outside their comfort zone?

http://www.adaptivetrainingfoundation.org/

Get going, you'll love it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Wear a pedometer and keep active. You can lose weight with zero exercise, but keep in mind keeping the weight off is going to require fewer calories FOREVER.

I've lost a re-gained. Being more active will help me keep the weight off this time.