What's the biggest pain in the butt when it comes to cooking at home?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Getting the insects and dirt off the vegetables, especially the lettuce, cabbages and broccoli.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    A dishwasher takes care of a lot of cleaning woes imo. For the ones who hate dishwashing, do you not use a dishwasher at home? There are also countertop dishwashers available if you can't fit one under your sink.

I don't have a dishwasher, and with my coffee pot and microwave, I literally have maybe 3-4 inches of counter space between the appliances and the sink. Also I don't want to spend the money on a counter top dishwasher. I've actually never ever heard of one before.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    I do have one of these...and it is good, but I need more!

I like this one

That does sound good!
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I get no pleasure or satisfaction from cooking. I don't enjoy it in the slightest. But I do it because I can manage mfp better than if I constantly did take out.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Getting the insects and dirt off the vegetables, especially the lettuce, cabbages and broccoli.

Yea, this can be gross. However, you can still log in bugs as calories into mfp if you accidentally ate one! I just checked!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

Where do you buy your produce? I never get any insects or dirt from my veggies, lettuce or broccoli. My supermarket keeps the produce area very clean. I wash them but nothing that bad shows in the water.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A dishwasher takes care of a lot of cleaning woes imo. For the ones who hate dishwashing, do you not use a dishwasher at home? There are also countertop dishwashers available if you can't fit one under your sink.

I didn't grow up with a dishwasher. I finally got one and it was really nice when it worked well. There were always things that didn't quite get clean, didn't fit or had to be hand washed anyway. Then it didn't work at all and it is costly to repair or replace so I just wash dishes by hand now.
    Almost all of our meals are prepared from or eaten at home and we try not to use much disposable stuff so there is always a pile of dishes and food storage containers. I spend at least an hour every day washing and putting away dishes. It is a result of our choices but still kind of a pain. I listen to podcasts or music to make it more bearable.

I always listen to music or something while I cook too. It is not uncommon for me to dance while I cook.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I actually really enjoy cooking at home! I order my food online to stop myself throwing healthy dinners in my shopping trolley! I do shift work, so when I'm back late or I don't have much time in the evenings, my boyfriend cooks. This means I get to fit in a work out AND he gets to figure out what I planned for dinner
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i don't mind the chopping...I have a very nice Chef's knife. I hate all the washing and peeling of veggies and fruits (any edible peel I leave on). And all the things that get dirty when working with raw meat that you have to keep track of so as to not possibly contaminate everything in the kitchen with e.coli.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    i don't mind the chopping...I have a very nice Chef's knife. I hate all the washing and peeling of veggies and fruits (any edible peel I leave on). And all the things that get dirty when working with raw meat that you have to keep track of so as to not possibly contaminate everything in the kitchen with e.coli.

I prioritize food safety as well! What you can do is invest in different colored cutting boards. Use a red cutting board for raw meat, blue for seafood, and green for vegetables. Makes it easier to keep track of which surfaces are contaminated
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    cleanup (not so much dishes as pots and pans) and losing all my tupperware for no damn reason. there's a black hole in my cupboards somewhere. there've also been enough rough patches in my life financially that any recipe with more than 5 or so ingredients makes my eyes glaze over. i just assume i can't afford to make it.

I believe I may have all your missing lids, but do you have my containers?!!!!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Kids. They are my biggest pain in the kitchen. It would be so much easier and faster to just prep, cook and clean by myself, but I insist they learn to do all those things as well, so it takes much longer in the end. It will be good for them when they move out on their own, but currently it's a pain.
  • MrsMoviestar
    MrsMoviestar Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Coming home after working all day and then having to cook a decent meal
    Also, coming home from work and having nothing defrosted to cook!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    TIME - a lack of it. Working 60+ hours in a week during a busy part of the year means that cooking during the week doesn't always happen. I try to do as much cooking and prepping on the weekends as I can otherwise cooking doesn't happen.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Weighing everything out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »

I prioritize food safety as well! What you can do is invest in different colored cutting boards. Use a red cutting board for raw meat, blue for seafood, and green for vegetables. Makes it easier to keep track of which surfaces are contaminated

I just use plates to cut stuff. Then in the dishwasher it goes. Less cleaning, lol.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    I do have one of these...and it is good, but I need more!

I like this one

That does sound good!

oh oh oh I forgot this one too! I've passed it on before and everyone raves about it. When I make it I put twice as much spinach in since it wilts down so small and more veggies never hurt :smile:
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    cleaning the dishes...
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It is inconvenient to cook at home. It takes a lot time. I cook most of our meals at home except on Saturday evenings when we eat out. It gets old after awhile but it is worth it if you are trying to be healthy.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Dishes and general kitchen cleanup are my least favorite parts, but man I love to cook. Cooking allows me to completely control my caloric intake by measuring everything in grams and plugging it into the MFP recipe calculator. And that way, I can have really good foods on my diet without just nixing things out entirely. Last night I made char siu bao with leftover smoked char siu I made last week, and had it with vegetable stir fry. I twas like 900 calories, but I budgeted for it and it was delicious.