my daughter is bringing home ice cream right now

Options
124»

Replies

• Genetic_tea_drinker
    Options
    Ask her to pick up some caramel/sweet rice crackers, as they are low cal
    Snack on those for a bit before you you take two spoons of her ice-cream then think. "i've had enough"
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have another serving of ice cream now....Chocolate peanut butter. Yummm!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Evening times are usually when I fall off the wagon. My daughter just left to get some Ben and Jerry ice cream so we can have it during our movie time. What to do when a family member brings your weakness home and wants to share? And forget portion control. What do you do when family members seem eager to share fattening foods?

I totally feel for you. I'm a widow, so there's nobody at home except me, my dog, and two cats.... but I work in an office swimming in crap food, and I can't say anything.... we have a "hospitality fridge" loaded with donuts, cookies, brownies, plus people leave candy around... and the worst is the clients who bake/buy cookies and chocolates and leave them on my desk during the holidays, and I can't hurt their feelings. I get migraines from chocolate and have actually ended up in the ER from this job because I have no will power and will eat it if it's on my desk. If I can, I throw it away when nobody is around.

If you're seriously overweight, have high cholesterol, diabetes, or other big health problems, I would have a sit-down with my family, tell them I needed their help, and would ask them not to bring the food into the house (or substitute better choices). Your daughter could eat the ice cream outside the house and watch a movie without it.

We all need to stop tiptoeing around and putting ourselves last when we have big health problems. Good luck.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Not sure why portion control is not an option?

Some people are sugar/junk food addicts and can't control their portions. I'm one of them. I can't have it in my house. If we could control what we ate, we wouldn't be overweight.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    prob already said, but, can your daughter not just buy a single serving of the stuff? does it have to be a massive tub? i personally do better when there no or minimal temptations (and i plan & have the right stuff in the fridge).

ok portion control, great for those who can do it. i completely lose my chit with popcorn. why would i have that in the house?

i guess above is portion control really. i just think, do that at the store, vs at 3 am at home.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Great. Now I want ice cream. Thanks.

I know, right? All these forums are good for is sabotage.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,715 Member
    Options
    put your bikini on while she's gone and wait on the sofa with your spoon. I'm sure the thought of enabling will appear differently when she sees what she'll be looking like in a few years too. maybe next time she'll go for a baby carrot or smoothie run. I find nothing more satisfying than torturing my children with the ultimate reality that they will turn into me. I find it quite satisfying. Good luck!

lol
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My husbands know better than to bring home food I can't/shouldn't eat, and since it's just us and the baby, home is not a problem. At work, though, there are doughnuts and cookies in the breakroom, people offering me M&M's they don't want, someone always selling chocolate bars for their kid...it's hard! But it's mind over matter. Just remind yourself why you don't need it. If it's that important to you, save room for it in your calories.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth and you will be less likely to eat it and don't forget to drink a large glass of water