Replies

• KPGrandma
    KPGrandma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Live in Maine, so I only have about one more month to find a pool!!! Thanks
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Lesely2603 wrote: »
    I'm about 2 lbs away from goal weight. As I start to maintain my weight by how much should I increase calories? Also are there any adjustments I should think about making to my training. I currently work with a trainer two days a week, and we will be having this conversation soon, do a Pilates class once a week and cardio once a week, plus walking around five miles per day.

Sorry I missed this question.

It depends on how much of a deficit you are on now. Try bumping up 100-250 a day each week until you are maintaining your weight.

As long as you are focusing on strength training with your trainer, it seems like a good mix.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi I want to improve my running, speed up a bit and maintain that pace. I jog regularly. It will be my 1 year anniversary on 5th august :) I can jog for 30-40 minutes but at a slow pace and I don't know how to enter it in my exercise dairy so I want to know is a 12 min mile slow or fast? because I think I am running at that pace but I'm very confused!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend for toning arms? I've lost over 70 pounds and have about 25 more to my goal weight..I have been using weights and gaining muscle, but I still have sagging skin..will that eventually go away or will surgery be in my future?

@connorsmom28 Unfortunately, one can't spot reduce and skin doesn't instantly magically pop back to where it once was/is supposed to be.

In time,it can take years, the skin on your arms will eventually tighten up a bit. How much will depend largely on genetics and your age. Try to stay well hydrated, keep strength training, and hope for the best.

• shoeoptional
    shoeoptional Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a big hoss who hasn't worked out in over two decades. I'm 6'2", 345 lbs and looking to rebuild some muscle but ultimately get down to the 240-250 lb range. Without buying hundreds of dollars of equipment or joining yet another gym, what exercises can/should I do at home to get started? Knees and ankles are worn out and I have some arthritis in my joints but I'm willing to push myself.
    Options
    What do you recommend for toning arms? I've lost over 70 pounds and have about 25 more to my goal weight..I have been using weights and gaining muscle, but I still have sagging skin..will that eventually go away or will surgery be in my future?

It'll take months if not years, but it should tighten some. Continue lifting using primarily multi-joint exercises.
    Options
    Hi I want to improve my running, speed up a bit and maintain that pace. I jog regularly. It will be my 1 year anniversary on 5th august :) I can jog for 30-40 minutes but at a slow pace and I don't know how to enter it in my exercise dairy so I want to know is a 12 min mile slow or fast? because I think I am running at that pace but I'm very confused!

Everyone's pace is different, but you want to avoid falling into the comfort zone of "going for a 30 minute jog."

1. Mix in some intervals
    2. Go for shorter runs at a faster pace
    3. Go for longer runs at a slower pace

I'm not a distance guy, so I would suggest finding a beginner running program and sticking with that for a few months.
    Options
    I'm a big hoss who hasn't worked out in over two decades. I'm 6'2", 345 lbs and looking to rebuild some muscle but ultimately get down to the 240-250 lb range. Without buying hundreds of dollars of equipment or joining yet another gym, what exercises can/should I do at home to get started? Knees and ankles are worn out and I have some arthritis in my joints but I'm willing to push myself.

You could do the whole push up, plank, sit up, etc. routine, but that isn't going to do much for your goals. You might have to bite the bullet and sign up for a cheap gym membership.
  • Sandra1957smc
    Sandra1957smc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm having problem losing my lower abs. I'm losing my stomach but now my lower stomach is puching or hanging or what ever it's called. And I want it gone. What are the best workouts for this area, please.
    Options
    I'm having problem losing my lower abs. I'm losing my stomach but now my lower stomach is puching or hanging or what ever it's called. And I want it gone. What are the best workouts for this area, please.

There isn't a lot you can do other than reduce the amount of fat around the area. Your posture could play a part, too. People with anteriorly tilted hips generally have a little bulge in their lower stomach.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi, I am a personal trainer/gym owner and I wanted to take the opportunity to answer any questions you all might have for me. Feel free to ask anything in regards to hiring a trainer or what to expect from a training session, or anything fitness and nutrition related. Please, be as specific as you can with your questions. Thanks!

Are there any effective methods to reducing/toning a belly apron besides crunches that are L-vertebrae friendly? Two of my L's are degenerated and easily slip with certain movement, and crunches often cause inflammation in my lumbar region.
    Options
    cinnag4225 wrote: »
    Hi, I am a personal trainer/gym owner and I wanted to take the opportunity to answer any questions you all might have for me. Feel free to ask anything in regards to hiring a trainer or what to expect from a training session, or anything fitness and nutrition related. Please, be as specific as you can with your questions. Thanks!

Are there any effective methods to reducing/toning a belly apron besides crunches that are L-vertebrae friendly? Two of my L's are degenerated and easily slip with certain movement, and crunches often cause inflammation in my lumbar region.

They won't do anything to reduce the size of your stomach, but plank and crawling variations are effective and pretty safe on the lower back. I also think supine belly breathing is very effective are retraining the core to function properly. You can look up "pri 90/90 breathing" to get an idea of what I am referring to.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Master your bodyweight. Pushups, lunges, bodyweight squats. Get a suspension trainer, TRX is the most advertised, but others out there just as good and lower cost. Can really scale the difficulty of the exercises with them.

Good luck.
    Options

You could do the whole push up, plank, sit up, etc. routine, but that isn't going to do much for your goals. You might have to bite the bullet and sign up for a cheap gym membership.

To add to my last answer, I would recommend not trying to do too much on your own. Being detrained and overweight, you are likely to cause a lot of stress to your joints by working out alone. I would seek out a professional to help you. Also, your diet is going to be the most important part of the whole process.
  • primalsarah
    primalsarah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm at 29 yo, 5'5'' female and am at my goal weight of 130lbs. My current goal is to increase muscle and definition. I don't really enjoy doing cardio other than taking long walks with my family, which I do a few times a week. I do really enjoy weight lifting and am currently working on getting back into a routine after having a baby.

HIIT programs like BBG are very popular right now with women my age, and I like the physique you can achieve with that workout, however, like I said, I'm not crazy about all of the cardio. My question for you is it possible to get similar results with a lifting only program? How important are macros vs. generally monitoring your protein intake?
    Thanks!
    Options
    I'm at 29 yo, 5'5'' female and am at my goal weight of 130lbs. My current goal is to increase muscle and definition. I don't really enjoy doing cardio other than taking long walks with my family, which I do a few times a week. I do really enjoy weight lifting and am currently working on getting back into a routine after having a baby.

HIIT programs like BBG are very popular right now with women my age, and I like the physique you can achieve with that workout, however, like I said, I'm not crazy about all of the cardio. My question for you is it possible to get similar results with a lifting only program? How important are macros vs. generally monitoring your protein intake?
    Thanks!

Cardio is never necessary to lose weight and not necessary for most people to lower their BF%.

I would focus on getting your calories set to match your goal. Then making sure you get enough protein. With the calories you have left, you can split up however you prefer between carbs and fats.

• MeganBsr
    MeganBsr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 145 lbs. I gained 8 lbs since I started heavy lifting. It's common to hear people say it's 8 lbs of muscle. Seems ridiculous. My jeans certainly are tighter in the legs. I feel great but being a female it's hard to forget about the number on the scale. Is this common amongst your female clients? How do you help them focus on the results and forget about the scale?? Throw my scale away? : D
  • ericar21
    ericar21 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    when trying to lose body fat/ tone up.. should you track calories or track your macros? whats the difference? I'm kinda new to fitness. thanks!
    Options
    MeganBsr wrote: »
    I'm 5'6" and 145 lbs. I gained 8 lbs since I started heavy lifting. It's common to hear people say it's 8 lbs of muscle. Seems ridiculous. My jeans certainly are tighter in the legs. I feel great but being a female it's hard to forget about the number on the scale. Is this common amongst your female clients? How do you help them focus on the results and forget about the scale?? Throw my scale away? : D

Some female clients will gain weight, some will lose. It depends on where they are starting. If they are 50 pounds overweight and then start lifting heavier, chances are they are still going to lose a lot of weight because the muscle weight they gain will not off-set the fat weight they lose.

It looks like you are pretty lean, so there is a good chance a majority of the weight you are gaining is muscle.

I try and keep them focused on their measurements and body fat %, and off of their scale weight. Ultimately, it comes down to how you look and feel. If you feel strong and that you look the way you want, that's all that matters.
    Options
    ericar21 wrote: »
    when trying to lose body fat/ tone up.. should you track calories or track your macros? whats the difference? I'm kinda new to fitness. thanks!

Both.

Your calories will dictate how much you weigh and your macros will dictate how much of that is muscle and fat. This is assuming you are working out appropriately and eating a realistic diet.

With this said, if your calories don't match your goals, it doesn't matter what your macro ratio is - you're not going to gain muscle if you're only eating 1,200kcal a day, and you're not going to lose fat if you're eating 5,000kcal a day.