• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Ok. I've been lifting for a year now and recently managed to irritate my rotator cuff. I've had issues with it in the past (unrelated to weights) and this time earned myself a cortisone injection and a few rounds of physical therapy. I was planning to ask this when I start therapy next week, but since you're here...what do you think I should do moving forward as far as my weight training goes? Should I simply be doing some light exercises as a warm up before getting into my heavy upper body routine, or incorporating more specific accessory work to improve on this weak area? I hope that makes sense....

He hasn't replied yet, but since this came up....

When you're working with shoulder injuries it is imperative that you perform the full physical therapy course. Sometimes people start to feel better a few weeks in and stop going. DO NOT do this! Re-injury is common and certain movements are known to exacerbate these injuries.

Firstly, you don't say what is going on just that your rotator cuff is "irritated". I'm going to guess its: impingement, bursitis, unstable shoulder, or a minor labral tear.

When you meet your physical therapist they will give you multiple exercises to strengthen all of the small muscles in and around the rotator cuff. The movements will depend on your specific injury but from my experience it will usually be some variation of these:

3cd58f40bcf6dd01c17188b86501bb4c.png

The internal and external rotation was my first weeks homework with an empty waterbottle. Then we moved to a can of beans. then to weights, etc.

You'll want to follow the routine they give you along with your homework, stretching, and foam rolling instructions.

As far as working out in the gym, you shouldn't do anything during this time that can place excess tension on the rotator cuff (especially if you're not working with a personal trainer who can watch your form). This will include: Lateral Raises, Tricep push downs, chest flies, bench press, dips, overhead press and isolated shoulder work, as well as barbell squats depending on your current shoulder mobility. Again, your PT will let you know all of this stuff, so make sure to ask questions!

What to do moving forward? Go to your PT, get stronger, listen to your PT and avoid movements that may exacerbate the problem in the short term.

p.s. if you don't do all of your physical therapy and heed these warnings you might just have to wear one of these. It's not a cute look, trust me. :)

image_zpsaxwjktsl.jpeg

Thank you. Orthopedist said I don't have any tears in there. Just a lot of inflammation, hence the injection. I'm afraid the next time will be a tear if I'm not careful though, and I can't work if my arm is in a sling. They suggested I do 6 PT sessions so I'm all signed up. In the meantime I'm just stretching and keeping it mobile like they said. Not going near any weights! Was just thinking for the future so this doesn't happen again.... Thanks again. :smile:

good! :)

I actually had impengement, then unstable shoulder, then eventually a tear which required this shoulder immobility sling. It's a special sling that doesn't allow any movement of the shoulder which must be worn day and night all the time for 2-3 months. It was hell.

But your physical therapist will show you exercises to strengthen everything and tell you what to avoid. In my opinion the best way to avoid re-injury is by staying active, keeping these muscles strong, and avoiding any improper movements.

Hope that helps and good luck to you!

p.s. i really hate the steroid shots. I got one and had immediate relief for de quervain's, however, it caused atrophy, loss of fat, and hypopigmentation in the localized area. It took over 4 years for my hands to look normal again. Highly recommend to avoid unless necessary. In the shoulder area i personally found voltaren and other topicals sufficient.

My right shoulder is totally jacked up and I'm too young for a replacement. Lol. Love Voltaren.

Voltaren is a beautiful thing. My doc gave me a prescription for Voltaren and Flexiril combination topical. Anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant. Works wonders for my neck injury when it flares up.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ok. I've been lifting for a year now and recently managed to irritate my rotator cuff. I've had issues with it in the past (unrelated to weights) and this time earned myself a cortisone injection and a few rounds of physical therapy. I was planning to ask this when I start therapy next week, but since you're here...what do you think I should do moving forward as far as my weight training goes? Should I simply be doing some light exercises as a warm up before getting into my heavy upper body routine, or incorporating more specific accessory work to improve on this weak area? I hope that makes sense....

He hasn't replied yet, but since this came up....

When you're working with shoulder injuries it is imperative that you perform the full physical therapy course. Sometimes people start to feel better a few weeks in and stop going. DO NOT do this! Re-injury is common and certain movements are known to exacerbate these injuries.

Firstly, you don't say what is going on just that your rotator cuff is "irritated". I'm going to guess its: impingement, bursitis, unstable shoulder, or a minor labral tear.

When you meet your physical therapist they will give you multiple exercises to strengthen all of the small muscles in and around the rotator cuff. The movements will depend on your specific injury but from my experience it will usually be some variation of these:

3cd58f40bcf6dd01c17188b86501bb4c.png

The internal and external rotation was my first weeks homework with an empty waterbottle. Then we moved to a can of beans. then to weights, etc.

You'll want to follow the routine they give you along with your homework, stretching, and foam rolling instructions.

As far as working out in the gym, you shouldn't do anything during this time that can place excess tension on the rotator cuff (especially if you're not working with a personal trainer who can watch your form). This will include: Lateral Raises, Tricep push downs, chest flies, bench press, dips, overhead press and isolated shoulder work, as well as barbell squats depending on your current shoulder mobility. Again, your PT will let you know all of this stuff, so make sure to ask questions!

What to do moving forward? Go to your PT, get stronger, listen to your PT and avoid movements that may exacerbate the problem in the short term.

p.s. if you don't do all of your physical therapy and heed these warnings you might just have to wear one of these. It's not a cute look, trust me. :)

image_zpsaxwjktsl.jpeg

Thank you. Orthopedist said I don't have any tears in there. Just a lot of inflammation, hence the injection. I'm afraid the next time will be a tear if I'm not careful though, and I can't work if my arm is in a sling. They suggested I do 6 PT sessions so I'm all signed up. In the meantime I'm just stretching and keeping it mobile like they said. Not going near any weights! Was just thinking for the future so this doesn't happen again.... Thanks again. :smile:

good! :)

I actually had impengement, then unstable shoulder, then eventually a tear which required this shoulder immobility sling. It's a special sling that doesn't allow any movement of the shoulder which must be worn day and night all the time for 2-3 months. It was hell.

But your physical therapist will show you exercises to strengthen everything and tell you what to avoid. In my opinion the best way to avoid re-injury is by staying active, keeping these muscles strong, and avoiding any improper movements.

Hope that helps and good luck to you!

p.s. i really hate the steroid shots. I got one and had immediate relief for de quervain's, however, it caused atrophy, loss of fat, and hypopigmentation in the localized area. It took over 4 years for my hands to look normal again. Highly recommend to avoid unless necessary. In the shoulder area i personally found voltaren and other topicals sufficient.

My right shoulder is totally jacked up and I'm too young for a replacement. Lol. Love Voltaren.

Voltaren is a beautiful thing. My doc gave me a prescription for Voltaren and Flexiril combination topical. Anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant. Works wonders for my neck injury when it flares up.

Ahhh, I used in my neck too!
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options

1. I believe everyone should do shoulder activation/warm up exercises prior to training the upper body. People with prior injuries and those at higher risk of shoulder injuries, should spend a little extra time warming up. The serratus anterior being the primary focus.

You definitely want to make sure your training is balanced as well. I'm not sure what your training looks like, but most people could increase the amount of horizontal pulling exercises they do. Outside of specific exercises, the form and posture you have during the movement is as much, if not more important that the exercise itself.

2. PT is good to improve isolated strength and range of motion, but often times not great for restoring function. Virtually all non-contact shoulder injuries are due to poor rhythm between the scapula and shoulder joint. If you are lucky you will get a good PT that will be able to help you with this.

Feel free to click around on a few of my articles and YouTube videos for some info on the topic. Eric Cressey is someone good to look up as well.
  • kandi416c
    kandi416c Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    kandi416c wrote: »
    Hi, good day. I'm kandi and i'm 5'2 and 121 lbs. I workout 5 days per week with the Hiit Program Stronger but i still can't get a flat stomach and i still have that muffin top.
    So that worries me. Can you tell what do i need to do, to get rid of my muffin top?
    Thanks!

I would encourage you to do more strength training and less HIIT.

Thanks for the advice, i started making workouts with dumbbells and that is working out good for me. B) Have a good day.
    Options
    I have one that I'm hoping you can provide some insight to. I did Stronglifts last year and developed very painful tennis elbow which continued for a couple of months. I was working on trying to keep my wrists straight and aligned while holding the bar thinking this would help, but to no avail.

I would like to start this program again. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening this time around?

1. Limit the amount of rows and pull ups you do when it flares up.
    2. Massage your forearm with your thumb or other object.
    3. Warm up good.
    4. Adjust your hand position with pulling exercises.
    5. Don't be afraid to use dumbbells or kettlebells instead of a barbell - they allow for a more natural motion.
    Options
    cboes83 wrote: »
    I'm a mom ×3 with 3 c-section. My youngest is 6 and I thought over time my lower abdominal muscles would be fine. I was wrong. Every time I go to do sit ups it burns so much feels like I'm ripping those muscles back open. Any suggestions for easy repairing those muscle to get back in tighten those muscle.

A burning pain or the burning you feel when your muscle fatigue? If you are having pain, go see the doc.
  • mahesj
    mahesj Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Options
    Hi, good day. I'm kandi and i'm 5'2 and 121 lbs. I workout 5 days per week with the Hiit Program Stronger but i still can't get a flat stomach and i still have that muffin top.
    So that worries me. Can you tell what do i need to do, to get rid of my muffin top?
    Thanks!

I would encourage you to do more strength training and less HIIT.

Thanks for the advice, i started making workouts with dumbbells and that is working out good for me. B) Have a good day.

Awesome. Glad to hear.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hi, why are group fitness classes geared for the most super fit people? Why do the less accomplished people have to modify? Why not make classes more middle of the pack and let the super fit make the modifications to increase difficulty? Every fitness class I've ever attended has been like this, except for Silver Fit which is too easy. I think this is why so many people refuse to go to classes! Just curious on an owners perspective.

Any thoughts @DreesPerformanceTraining ?
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to increase my grip strength? It's the first thing to fail when I am doing dumbbell lunges or doing hanging knee raises. Kind of frustrating as I know I could go do more reps or use heavier weight but my grip fails. I have small hands.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hi, why are group fitness classes geared for the most super fit people? Why do the less accomplished people have to modify? Why not make classes more middle of the pack and let the super fit make the modifications to increase difficulty? Every fitness class I've ever attended has been like this, except for Silver Fit which is too easy. I think this is why so many people refuse to go to classes! Just curious on an owners perspective.

Any thoughts @DreesPerformanceTraining ?

I can't speak to the gyms you've been in or that he runs, however, i just want to say that SOME of the gym's ive been in have a ramp-on class or a 4 week beginner class before moving on to the normal classes.

However, it's important to note that these only exist for gym-run classes. Like spinning, trx, etc. Any of the classes which require their own special certification and class routine (like zumba, all of the les mills, soul cycle, Cize, etc.) are exactly like what you describe. It's too difficult if you have no idea what you're doing and the classes just go without any time for you to learn the movements or join in.

I tried a body combat class once and it was just go-go-go and i walked out within the first 10 minutes. I then got a flag on my gym card saying i couldn't take any classes for the next week as a sort of "punishment" for reserving a spot that someone else could have used when i left early.

I consider myself a fit person, and i consider myself strong. But the body combat class was soooo cardio intensive RIGHT off the bat i thought i would die.

Anyways, my opinion is this.... The gyms must offer these classes because they would be losing money if they didn't. The gyms cant, however, alter the style and format of the class in any way that isn't in accordance with the brand.
    Options
    Hi, why are group fitness classes geared for the most super fit people. Why do the less accomplished people have to modify? Why not make classes more middle of the pack and let the super fit make the modifications to increase difficulty? Every fitness class I've ever attended has been like this, except for Silver Fit which is too easy. I think this is why so many people refuse to go to classes! Just curious on an owners perspective.

Sorry I missed this one.

I think it depends on the class and the what their goal is. Perhaps, they feel if they have a lot of fit people in their classes that it will serve as motivation for the less fit to stick with it.

It is also very challenging to work with people just starting out in a group setting. Often times their form isn't the greatest and they need a lot of attention. Someone that has been training with me for a few months just needs to know the exercise, how many sets, the reps, and off they go. A new clients needs the exercise demo'd, the weight picked out for them, to be watched/corrected during the set, and then coached up after the set. Based on the price point of group training, this isn't fair to the trainer or the others in the group.

We have 3 options:

Boot Camp (5+) - cheapest, but least 1-on-1 attention. Good for people with exercise experience and just need structure and a little motivation.

Semi-Private (3-5) - more expensive, but more 1-on-1 attention. Good for people that want/need their own training program, but do not need to be watched on every single set.

Personal Training (1-on-1) - most expensive, 1-on-1 attention. Good for people just starting out and those with special needs (ie injuries).
  • mrswardogsboxing
    mrswardogsboxing Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have one that I'm hoping you can provide some insight to. I did Stronglifts last year and developed very painful tennis elbow which continued for a couple of months. I was working on trying to keep my wrists straight and aligned while holding the bar thinking this would help, but to no avail.

I would like to start this program again. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening this time around?

3. Warm up good.
    5. Don't be afraid to use dumbbells or kettlebells instead of a barbell - they allow for a more natural motion.

Thank you so much for these tips! I really appreciate it:) Could you possibly elaborate on number 4, though? I am unclear on that one.
    Options
    Any tips on how to increase my grip strength? It's the first thing to fail when I am doing dumbbell lunges or doing hanging knee raises. Kind of frustrating as I know I could go do more reps or use heavier weight but my grip fails. I have small hands.

Have you tried chalk? Wraps can be used sparingly when your grip does give out.

Deadlifts, loaded carries, and kettlebells exercises are all good for improving grip strength.

Depending on the weight you are using, you might want to consider switching to a barbell on your back or your shoulders when doing lunges.
  • KPGrandma
    KPGrandma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm making excuses to not exercise, but I'm really not. I used to go to a gym every day and I loved it. But I can't go now. 1) I'm 55 2)I'm over 200lbs 3) I have severe arthritis in my wrists & ankles 4) l4, l5, s1 disc issues 4) sacral torsion. Can someone figure out some exercise that I can do that does not involved your ankles or your back/hips??? Everyone always says, all you have to do is walk. No can do! Even swimming makes my back arc to much and hurt worse.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    KPGrandma wrote: »
    1) I'm 55 2)I'm over 200lbs 3) I have severe arthritis in my wrists & ankles 4) l4, l5, s1 disc issues 4) sacral torsion. Can someone figure out some exercise that I can do that does not involved your ankles or your back/hips??? Everyone always says, all you have to do is walk. No can do! Even swimming makes my back arc to much and hurt worse.

How about a recumbent exercise bike, or mini bike?
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KPGrandma wrote: »
    I feel like I'm making excuses to not exercise, but I'm really not. I used to go to a gym every day and I loved it. But I can't go now. 1) I'm 55 2)I'm over 200lbs 3) I have severe arthritis in my wrists & ankles 4) l4, l5, s1 disc issues 4) sacral torsion. Can someone figure out some exercise that I can do that does not involved your ankles or your back/hips??? Everyone always says, all you have to do is walk. No can do! Even swimming makes my back arc to much and hurt worse.

That's a tough one. I think the pool is still your best bet. If being prone or supine hurts the back, you could try "running" in the shallow end. There is a lot of there things you can do to get your heart rate up without actually swimming in the pool.
    Options

3. Warm up good.

Thank you so much for these tips! I really appreciate it:) Could you possibly elaborate on number 4, though? I am unclear on that one.

Moving in or out. Change to a pronated, neutral, or supinated grip - whichever feels the best for your elbow.
  • mrswardogsboxing
    mrswardogsboxing Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Moving in or out. Change to a pronated, neutral, or supinated grip - whichever feels the best for your elbow.[/quote]

I understand what you're saying now. Thank you for the clarification!
  • connorsmom28
    connorsmom28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend for toning arms? I've lost over 70 pounds and have about 25 more to my goal weight..I have been using weights and gaining muscle, but I still have sagging skin..will that eventually go away or will surgery be in my future?