Replies

• JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »
    Unless you are training to do a 5k or something, I would avoid doing any running. Try swimming or rowing.

What's your rationale for that advice?

As other have mentioned, running is a really poor form of exercise - very high injury rate. Exercise should make you feel better, not worse.

:huh:

No one has said running is a poor form of exercise apart from you... do you have some stats for injury rates in runners against other forms of exercise?

Sure.

56% of runners will get injured in any given year.

Van Mechelen W. Running injuries. A review of the epidemiological literature. Sports Med. 14(5) (1992). 320-35. Pub. Med. 30 July 2014.

compared to what % of people doing another exercise regularly?

I'm not sure, it would be kind of comparing apples to oranges, though because I don't think there has been a study that has compared multiple forms of exercises into one study.

Just doing a quick Google search I found a little info:

Cause of injuries in triathletes:
    Running - 50%
    Cycling - 43%
    Swimming - 7%

I just read something that says 75% of Crossfitters get injured each year, but they also stated that 80% of runners do.

Regardless of what the exact numbers are, with all things being equal, would you rather do a form of exercise that you have 50+% chance of getting injured this year or something that has a very low injury rate like swimming? Not to mention, the person asking the question was overweight, so it would only add to the likelihood of getting injured from running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Unless you are training to do a 5k or something, I would avoid doing any running. Try swimming or rowing.

As other have mentioned, running is a really poor form of exercise - very high injury rate. Exercise should make you feel better, not worse.

No one has said running is a poor form of exercise apart from you... do you have some stats for injury rates in runners against other forms of exercise?

Sure.

Van Mechelen W. Running injuries. A review of the epidemiological literature. Sports Med. 14(5) (1992). 320-35. Pub. Med. 30 July 2014.

Regardless of what the exact numbers are, with all things being equal, would you rather do a form of exercise that you have 50+% chance of getting injured this year or something that has a very low injury rate like swimming?

you're asking the wrong person that, i'm a runner :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JonDrees
    edited April 2017
    Options

Sure.

Regardless of what the exact numbers are, with all things being equal, would you rather do a form of exercise that you have 50+% chance of getting injured this year or something that has a very low injury rate like swimming?

you're asking the wrong person that, i'm a runner :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know there are people that love running for various reasons other than just to burn a few calories - many of my clients run. They just have to be smart and work on correcting the imbalances that running causes.

Even I enjoy running to clear my head and to think (probably much shorter distances than most of you though :) ).
  • JonDrees
    Options
    I have an hour or two, so I figured I'd bump this ancient thread. Fire away if you have any questions.