Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Is there anything on the market that REALLY does help with joint recovery?? Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM..... etc???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    JonDrees wrote: »
    What do you think of full body workouts compared to upper/lower and push pull legs? I know those three are better than split routines and why do you think alot of fitness Youtubers only do split routines?

Up to 3x/week, I program full body routines. If I have clients coming in 4 or more times a week, I would switch to an upper/lower split.

The benefit of the full body routine is that you get to hit the muscle groups more often in the week. The benefit of doing a split routine is that you can use more volume for each muscle group. Outside of being an elite bodybuilder, I don't see any reason for doing a split routine.

I think they do split routines because that's what they saw in their Muscle & Fitness Magazine when they were a kid. Depending on who you are talking about, there is a good chance they are using some "advanced supplements" as well, so virtually any workout routine will work for them.

Ok cool, yeah they probably are. I'm currently in school to be a personal trainer (A.C.E.), what are the things you can tell me about being a personal trainer and when I get my certificate, do you recommend I go for a degree immediately or am I good for at least a while? Also you think Chris Jones' (PumpChasers) is natty?

I would get your degree right away. It's much harder to go back to school after you've been out a while.

What can I tell you about being a trainer? Could you be more specific? I guess in general, expect a terrible schedule, with not that great of pay starting out. The bar for entry is low, so the market is really saturated with poor trainers. It takes a while to establish yourself, but once you do, things get better.

I don't know anything about that guy, but off his pictures, I think it's possible he's natural.

What degree do you think a personal trainer should get to guarantee him/her a job?
    Get at least a BS in physiology or kinesiology.
    And how do you set yourself apart from other personal trainers?
    IMO, RESULTS. You can have the smartest person be a trainer and not get results with their clients. I'm not the smartest trainer when I compare myself to others who write books, etc., but my clients get the results they pay for and that's how you build your business. Once you lose a client, another should be ready for you when you get an opening.
    How successful are you at helping clients achieve their goals?
    Can't speak for the OP, but my success rate is well over 80%. That means people I've trained with have basically kept up their regimens once they achieved whatever goal they were trying to achieve with me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What do you think of full body workouts compared to upper/lower and push pull legs? I know those three are better than split routines and why do you think alot of fitness Youtubers only do split routines?

Up to 3x/week, I program full body routines. If I have clients coming in 4 or more times a week, I would switch to an upper/lower split.

The benefit of the full body routine is that you get to hit the muscle groups more often in the week. The benefit of doing a split routine is that you can use more volume for each muscle group. Outside of being an elite bodybuilder, I don't see any reason for doing a split routine.

I think they do split routines because that's what they saw in their Muscle & Fitness Magazine when they were a kid. Depending on who you are talking about, there is a good chance they are using some "advanced supplements" as well, so virtually any workout routine will work for them.

Ok cool, yeah they probably are. I'm currently in school to be a personal trainer (A.C.E.), what are the things you can tell me about being a personal trainer and when I get my certificate, do you recommend I go for a degree immediately or am I good for at least a while? Also you think Chris Jones' (PumpChasers) is natty?

I would get your degree right away. It's much harder to go back to school after you've been out a while.

What can I tell you about being a trainer? Could you be more specific? I guess in general, expect a terrible schedule, with not that great of pay starting out. The bar for entry is low, so the market is really saturated with poor trainers. It takes a while to establish yourself, but once you do, things get better.

I don't know anything about that guy, but off his pictures, I think it's possible he's natural.

What degree do you think a personal trainer should get to guarantee him/her a job?
    IMO, RESULTS. You can have the smartest person be a trainer and not get results with their clients. I'm not the smartest trainer when I compare myself to others who write books, etc., but my clients get the results they pay for and that's how you build your business. Once you lose a client, another should be ready for you when you get an opening.
    Can't speak for the OP, but my success rate is well over 80%. That means people I've trained with have basically kept up their regimens once they achieved whatever goal they were trying to achieve with me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wonder what you guys think about fat personal trainers or personal trainers that smoke?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Unless you are training to do a 5k or something, I would avoid doing any running. Try swimming or rowing.

What's your rationale for that advice?

As other have mentioned, running is a really poor form of exercise - very high injury rate. Exercise should make you feel better, not worse.

:huh:

No one has said running is a poor form of exercise apart from you... do you have some stats for injury rates in runners against other forms of exercise?
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    mila0814 wrote: »
    what is the best way to lose belly fat?
    You cannot "target" fat loss (unless you're willing to go under the knife). Fat gets lost systematically, meaning a 1% loss comes from all over your body at once. You WILL have places that hold fat more than others and reduction happens when you get your overall body fat percentage down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, you're right, but it also comes down to genetics-- some people will store fat in other areas than others. There have been examples of men getting really lean, around 9 to 8%, but still having a bit of lower fat on the abdomen-- with women, it is mainly the glutes and the legs, though individuals will vary.
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was also curious as to how you track a client's progress. Do you use scale measurements, waist, arm measurements, etc.. and how often do you recommend that they take measurements? Every week, every month? Also, even though this is not related, how do you determine whether an individual has reached a fat loss plateau, and what are the most common reasons for plateaus in your experience-- lack of adherence, poor diet tracking, etc..?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Unless you are training to do a 5k or something, I would avoid doing any running. Try swimming or rowing.

As other have mentioned, running is a really poor form of exercise - very high injury rate. Exercise should make you feel better, not worse.

So I was hoping for a bit of substance in your response. You opened with "unless you run, don't run", then picked two random activities as alternatives. Both of those are equally as dependant on good form as running, and rowing specifically bears some injury risk for the significantly overweight.

I'd question why for a young woman with a lot of weight to lose you're suggesting non weight bearing activities rather than something that will contribute to avoiding second order issues.

That is not to say that running doesn't bear risk, but there are plenty of ways to mitigate that.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

No one has said running is a poor form of exercise apart from you... do you have some stats for injury rates in runners against other forms of exercise?

I am not replying as a personal coach or saying running is a poor form of exercise - I participate in and enjoy it myself. But to answer the calls for data...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25951917?__s=qwc6okt82k8sizsw8q7f states that

"Running-related injuries per 1000 h of running ranged from a minimum of 2.5 in a study of long-distance track and field athletes to a maximum of 33.0 in a study of novice runners."

So, a pretty borad spread, where most would consider 2.5 per 1k hrs to be v. good. But, I think we can assume the poster falls (no pun intended) in the novice cat and 33 per 1k hrs is a less happy place to be if there are other alternatives*.

I don't have stats on swimming or any other cardio type activities but can tell you that, according to https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-016-0575-0?__s=qwc6okt82k8sizsw8q7f

For strength/weight type activities "Bodybuilding had the lowest injury rates (0.12–0.7 injuries per lifter per year; 0.24–1 injury per 1000 h), with strongman (4.5–6.1 injuries per 1000 h) and Highland Games (7.5 injuries per 1000 h) reporting the highest rates." (This review also found that injury rates were similar between the sexes, and across all ages, weight classes, and levels of competitiveness).

I don't have studies for other sports but in a recent discussion on the subject I heard claims (from our gym's sports coach) of "soccer, rugby, and cricket having injury rates of 15-80 injuries per 1000 hours". These seem reasonable, and our coach said that this was the information he was given at a recent sports injury training session he attended. But as I said - I don't have study data to back this up

*Of course, even if the poster was to drop body fat and become accustomed to other forms of exercise, he would still be a novice runner. Whether that means that he is in the upper risk area or has moved to a lower point is unknown but, if you want to be a runner, you will have to work through that novice phase at somepoint. Common sense would dictate that following an established running plan and being in better shape when embarking upon it would minimise the chances of injury.

• JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options

What degree do you think a personal trainer should get to guarantee him/her a job? And how do you set yourself apart from other personal trainers? How successful are you at helping clients achieve their goals?

Exercise Science is good for the technical stuff. If you plan to start your own business eventually, a business degree wouldn't be a bad idea.

It shouldn't take much. Show up on time. Listen to your clients. Have a good personality. Show good results, and ask for referrals.

Very.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    Bentforkx wrote: »
    Is there anything on the market that REALLY does help with joint recovery?? Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM..... etc???

All the research on this stuff is really conflicting. If anything thing, those supplements might help marginally. On the other hand, I don't know if there is any negative effects of taking them - other than costing you $$$.
  • JonDrees
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wonder what you guys think about fat personal trainers or personal trainers that smoke?

Probably not a good way to get clients.
  • JonDrees
    edited April 2017
    Options

Sure.

56% of runners will get injured in any given year.

Van Mechelen W. Running injuries. A review of the epidemiological literature. Sports Med. 14(5) (1992). 320-35. Pub. Med. 30 July 2014.
  • JonDrees
    Options

So I was hoping for a bit of substance in your response. You opened with "unless you run, don't run", then picked two random activities as alternatives. Both of those are equally as dependant on good form as running, and rowing specifically bears some injury risk for the significantly overweight.

I'd question why for a young woman with a lot of weight to lose you're suggesting non weight bearing activities rather than something that will contribute to avoiding second order issues.

That is not to say that running doesn't bear risk, but there are plenty of ways to mitigate that.

You're obviously trying to derail this thread. Reread my reply, and research the topic.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    I was also curious as to how you track a client's progress. Do you use scale measurements, waist, arm measurements, etc.. and how often do you recommend that they take measurements? Every week, every month? Also, even though this is not related, how do you determine whether an individual has reached a fat loss plateau, and what are the most common reasons for plateaus in your experience-- lack of adherence, poor diet tracking, etc..?

For the most part, if they are a weight loss/fat loss client, I just do arm, waist, hip, and thigh measurements.

We test every 4-6 weeks. You won't see much improvement in less than a month's time.

Diet. Things are easy when they are losing each week, it gets tough when they have to wait 1-2 months for those same results.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Sure.

56% of runners will get injured in any given year.

Van Mechelen W. Running injuries. A review of the epidemiological literature. Sports Med. 14(5) (1992). 320-35. Pub. Med. 30 July 2014.

compared to what % of people doing another exercise regularly?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I am not replying as a personal coach or saying running is a poor form of exercise - I participate in and enjoy it myself. But to answer the calls for data...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25951917?__s=qwc6okt82k8sizsw8q7f states that

"Running-related injuries per 1000 h of running ranged from a minimum of 2.5 in a study of long-distance track and field athletes to a maximum of 33.0 in a study of novice runners."

So, a pretty borad spread, where most would consider 2.5 per 1k hrs to be v. good. But, I think we can assume the poster falls (no pun intended) in the novice cat and 33 per 1k hrs is a less happy place to be if there are other alternatives*.

I don't have stats on swimming or any other cardio type activities but can tell you that, according to https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-016-0575-0?__s=qwc6okt82k8sizsw8q7f

For strength/weight type activities "Bodybuilding had the lowest injury rates (0.12–0.7 injuries per lifter per year; 0.24–1 injury per 1000 h), with strongman (4.5–6.1 injuries per 1000 h) and Highland Games (7.5 injuries per 1000 h) reporting the highest rates." (This review also found that injury rates were similar between the sexes, and across all ages, weight classes, and levels of competitiveness).

I don't have studies for other sports but in a recent discussion on the subject I heard claims (from our gym's sports coach) of "soccer, rugby, and cricket having injury rates of 15-80 injuries per 1000 hours". These seem reasonable, and our coach said that this was the information he was given at a recent sports injury training session he attended. But as I said - I don't have study data to back this up

*Of course, even if the poster was to drop body fat and become accustomed to other forms of exercise, he would still be a novice runner. Whether that means that he is in the upper risk area or has moved to a lower point is unknown but, if you want to be a runner, you will have to work through that novice phase at somepoint. Common sense would dictate that following an established running plan and being in better shape when embarking upon it would minimise the chances of injury.

thank you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

You're obviously trying to derail this thread. Reread my reply, and research the topic.

You've made a statement, and offered nothing of substance to support it. I've offered you an opportunity to amplify and explain your advice, to give the individual who asked it a little more value.

If, as a trainer, you don't "do running" then just say that. Other trainers and coaches on here are generally up front about what they don't have the expertise to advise on, and that's fine.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How would you deal with a client, who has an addictive personality and gets bored of things really easily?

Dealing with addictive personalities are out of my wheelhouse, but I think clients getting bored is fairly common. 80% of my programs are set for 4+ weeks, but I'll make up around 20% on the spot to add variety to the workouts.

For example, I might have "10 minutes of HIIT" written in the program and I'll just make up something on the spot for that client on that particular day. All the major stuff is structured and based off the client's 1RM.

How do you know a 1rm if a novice lifter? How accurate is you accessment?
  • JonDrees
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    How would you deal with a client, who has an addictive personality and gets bored of things really easily?

Dealing with addictive personalities are out of my wheelhouse, but I think clients getting bored is fairly common. 80% of my programs are set for 4+ weeks, but I'll make up around 20% on the spot to add variety to the workouts.

For example, I might have "10 minutes of HIIT" written in the program and I'll just make up something on the spot for that client on that particular day. All the major stuff is structured and based off the client's 1RM.

How do you know a 1rm if a novice lifter? How accurate is you accessment?

It depends. If they are really green, I don't worry about their 1RM. They probably don't have the technique to perform a max. Plus, their strength will go up after each session, so there is no benefit in knowing what they can do for 1 rep on any given week (other than tracking progress). So, with them I would just find a weight they can do 8-10 times with good form and add weight each week until their progress stalls out.

If they are a novice lifter, but have good form, I might do a rep max where they do as many reps as they can with a given weight. This tends to be pretty accurate for everything, but the deadlift.

Is that what you were asking?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I always think "would you take advice from someone who has not achieved it themselves".