Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If anyone else has a question, could you post it on my other thread?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10526037/fitness-and-nutrition-q-a#latest
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »
    Unless you are training to do a 5k or something, I would avoid doing any running. Try swimming or rowing.

What's your rationale for that advice?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Unless you are training to do a 5k or something, I would avoid doing any running. Try swimming or rowing.

Not him, but i can imagine it has something to do with being morbidly obese and the high risk of injury to the knee, ankle, acl, feet/arch, and entire lower body.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Not him, but i can imagine it has something to do with being morbidly obese and the high risk of injury to the knee, ankle, acl, feet/arch, and entire lower body.

I'm assuming that a properly qualified trainer would be able to provide some substance, rather than than assertion.

The thread where the individual who asked the question here is asking about running advice has somewhat more content.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Are you disappointed when people regain the weight, or do you expect it?
  • shabanabibi1986
    shabanabibi1986 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I want to know if i do windsor pilates as the only exercise daily, will i be able to lose weight? Or do i have to combine cardio in there?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,551 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Agree here. Running for anyone increases the landing of each foot fall by 3x the amount of pressure versus walking. If one is obese, not good for ankles, knees and back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    For me I would be disappointed because I use the simplest way to do it. CICO and that's pretty much it. Of course I endorse exercise and other physical activity, but it's NOT required for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I want to know if i do windsor pilates as the only exercise daily, will i be able to lose weight? Or do i have to combine cardio in there?
    Exercise is for fitness and health. One could exercise 6 hours a day, but if they consumed more calories than they burned, they would gain weight.
    It STILL comes down to CICO.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• JonDrees
    Options

As other have mentioned, running is a really poor form of exercise - very high injury rate. Exercise should make you feel better, not worse.
  • JonDrees
    Options

Yes, it is disappointing, but I don't really deal with a lot of weight loss clients, so it doesn't happen very often.
  • JonDrees
    Options

As @ninerbuff stated, it comes down to what you burn vs. what you take in. From a health standpoint, I would consider adding in some resistance training to your current routine.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    What do you think of full body workouts compared to upper/lower and push pull legs? I know those three are better than split routines and why do you think alot of fitness Youtubers only do split routines?
  • JonDrees
    edited April 2017
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    What do you think of full body workouts compared to upper/lower and push pull legs? I know those three are better than split routines and why do you think alot of fitness Youtubers only do split routines?

Up to 3x/week, I program full body routines. If I have clients coming in 4 or more times a week, I would switch to an upper/lower split.

The benefit of the full body routine is that you get to hit the muscle groups more often in the week. The benefit of doing a split routine is that you can use more volume for each muscle group. Outside of being an elite bodybuilder, I don't see any reason for doing a split routine.

I think they do split routines because that's what they saw in their Muscle & Fitness Magazine when they were a kid. Depending on who you are talking about, there is a good chance they are using some "advanced supplements" as well, so virtually any workout routine will work for them.
  • DasItMan91
    edited April 2017
    Options

Up to 3x/week, I program full body routines. If I have clients coming in 4 or more times a week, I would switch to an upper/lower split.

The benefit of the full body routine is that you get to hit the muscle groups more often in the week. The benefit of doing a split routine is that you can use more volume for each muscle group. Outside of being an elite bodybuilder, I don't see any reason for doing a split routine.

I think they do split routines because that's what they saw in their Muscle & Fitness Magazine when they were a kid. Depending on who you are talking about, there is a good chance they are using some "advanced supplements" as well, so virtually any workout routine will work for them.

Ok cool, yeah they probably are. I'm currently in school to be a personal trainer (A.C.E.), what are the things you can tell me about being a personal trainer and when I get my certificate, do you recommend I go for a degree immediately or am I good for at least a while? Also you think Chris Jones' (PumpChasers) is natty?

• JonDrees
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ok cool, yeah they probably are. I'm currently in school to be a personal trainer (A.C.E.), what are the things you can tell me about being a personal trainer and when I get my certificate, do you recommend I go for a degree immediately or am I good for at least a while? Also you think Chris Jones' (PumpChasers) is natty?

I would get your degree right away. It's much harder to go back to school after you've been out a while.

What can I tell you about being a trainer? Could you be more specific? I guess in general, expect a terrible schedule, with not that great of pay starting out. The bar for entry is low, so the market is really saturated with poor trainers. It takes a while to establish yourself, but once you do, things get better.

I don't know anything about that guy, but off his pictures, I think it's possible he's natural.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Also you think Chris Jones' (PumpChasers) is natty?
    I highly doubt he's a natty. Weight fluctuations, fullness at low body fat %, and other things I know being in the industry (as well as having trained competitors) leads me to believe he either is/or did juice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mila0814
    mila0814 Posts: 4,169 Member
    Options
    what is the best way to lose belly fat?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    mila0814 wrote: »
    what is the best way to lose belly fat?
    You cannot "target" fat loss (unless you're willing to go under the knife). Fat gets lost systematically, meaning a 1% loss comes from all over your body at once. You WILL have places that hold fat more than others and reduction happens when you get your overall body fat percentage down.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• DasItMan91
    Options

I would get your degree right away. It's much harder to go back to school after you've been out a while.

What can I tell you about being a trainer? Could you be more specific? I guess in general, expect a terrible schedule, with not that great of pay starting out. The bar for entry is low, so the market is really saturated with poor trainers. It takes a while to establish yourself, but once you do, things get better.

I don't know anything about that guy, but off his pictures, I think it's possible he's natural.

What degree do you think a personal trainer should get to guarantee him/her a job? And how do you set yourself apart from other personal trainers? How successful are you at helping clients achieve their goals?