Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Regarding the 1977 documentary "Pumping Iron," do you think Lou Fergino should have won?

I know it's sad, but I actually haven't watched Pumping Iron yet. Maybe this weekend...

First time I saw it was last year. IMO, I thought Arnold was a prick.

Don't tell me that - I was always an Arnold fan. I guess I'll have to watch it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Regarding the 1977 documentary "Pumping Iron," do you think Lou Fergino should have won?

I know it's sad, but I actually haven't watched Pumping Iron yet. Maybe this weekend...

Arnold was a prick. I don't even think that's debatable.

And it was absolutely essential to him achieving the level of success he achieved.
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Does weightlifting ever not work for someone, based on genetic potential, if they are giving good effort?

Background: 36 yo F, 5'5", CW 152, weighed <120 when I got married 8 years ago. Still had a fair bit of fat, very little muscles, not bony at all. Wasn't weightlifting but running ~15 miles a week. Now I just have more fat.

Have been weightlifting for 4 months with IMO good effort, following a structured program with progressive resistance (Strong by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove). Have lost 15 lbs from SW 167. But weights have not increased that much (squat 60 lbs, DL 100 lbs, BP 50 lbs). Can't even dream of doing a chin up or push up on the floor. And don't see any muscle hypertrophy.

Feel like others on this forum have progressed much more quickly and wonder if I'm destined to be weak even if I get thinner.

Sure, there is a genetic component to everything, but it's probably more to do with your nutrition. Losing 15 pounds in 4 months requires a pretty large calorie deficit. My guess is you're just lacking the calories necessary to increase your strength and muscle mass.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

And it was absolutely essential to him achieving the level of success he achieved.

Agreed!! Lots of the elite have this quality.

Look at most of the "best of the best" and you'll see they are self-driven to the point of caring mostly about numero uno.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

And a lot of that was good salesmanship too. Promoting himself with a competitive personality, and the producers of the documentary egging on the competitiveness as much as they could.

I have to say, it's very dated in that they catch a lot of downtime I think would be edited out in a modern documentary. There are a lot of extremely awkward interpersonal moments that I just cringe watching. I like the parts that focus on the training of each of them, and on the details of the competition, but when they sort of force people together I have a hard time watching and want to look away.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

In the 25th anniversary re-release DVD extras, Arnold called it a mockumentary, saying it was mostly scripted. The directors added the drama after they realized that 90 minutes of guys lifting weights was pretty boring, and the first plans had Lou playing the role of villain. Then again, maybe Arnold just said that so he didn't come off as being such a prick.
    End spoilers for a 1977 documentary, return to advice offered by personal trainer.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • mannymoos3
    mannymoos3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i dropped back to 152lbs, i need body building advice, you think it would be better to try an bulk on 3,800-4000+ cals again, i dont really care for fat gains as im scrawny i would rather look stalky then weak, you think if im tryin to get to 190lbs lean, you think it would be better to bulk to 210-220 then cut or get to 190lbs then eat at maintainence an hope for a recomp, or fast bulk to 170 again then go for slow bulk.. my goal is 190-200lbs 10-15%bf. 6'1

im leanin towards the aggressive fast bulk option cause i know i can drop weight fast an dont really wanna slow bulk cause ive been tryon to get to 190 for 4years now an dont wanna wait any longer for slow to no gains
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm sure you get this all the time, so how long does it take to actually see results while doing compound lifting SL 5x5 (M,W,F) consistently?

These are my current stats: Squats: 95lbs/ OH Press: 45lbs / Deadlifts: 115lbs / BenchPress: 80 lbs / bentover rows: 70 lbs.

I'm 46, 5'1", 144 lbs, 27% body fat. I'm looking to get leaner, lose fat and lose about 14 lbs. I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day workout days, although I'm supposed to eat about 1270 calories on non-workout days. I run twice a week. I seem to be gaining weight and inches and not looking the way I want. I eat about 80+ grams of protein a day.

Any suggestions? Keep up the workout? Increase weights?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    richln wrote: »

In the 25th anniversary re-release DVD extras, Arnold called it a mockumentary, saying it was mostly scripted. The directors added the drama after they realized that 90 minutes of guys lifting weights was pretty boring, and the first plans had Lou playing the role of villain. Then again, maybe Arnold just said that so he didn't come off as being such a prick.
    End spoilers for a 1977 documentary, return to advice offered by personal trainer.

I'm okay with either of these possible explanations. They're both justifiable and understandable IMHO.

And sorry for the derail, OP. We're not used to "PT offering advice" threads being around this long without being a total dumpster fire so we don't really know how to handle this.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'm okay with either of these possible explanations. They're both justifiable and understandable IMHO.

And sorry for the derail, OP. We're not used to "PT offering advice" threads being around this long without being a total dumpster fire so we don't really know how to handle this.

I laughed at that.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    mannymoos3 wrote: »
    i dropped back to 152lbs, i need body building advice, you think it would be better to try an bulk on 3,800-4000+ cals again, i dont really care for fat gains as im scrawny i would rather look stalky then weak, you think if im tryin to get to 190lbs lean, you think it would be better to bulk to 210-220 then cut or get to 190lbs then eat at maintainence an hope for a recomp, or fast bulk to 170 again then go for slow bulk.. my goal is 190-200lbs 10-15%bf. 6'1

im leanin towards the aggressive fast bulk option cause i know i can drop weight fast an dont really wanna slow bulk cause ive been tryon to get to 190 for 4years now an dont wanna wait any longer for slow to no gains

I'm not the/a PT, but regardless of the path you decide to take, you need to eat more. Start right now. There's no reason you can't change the aggressiveness of your bulk as you go as the concept is the same, just a difference in intensity/how you feel/how you feel about how you look during the transition/etc...but regardless, everyone here will agree that you consistently need to eat more than you have during the past four years where you were spinning your wheels.

TL;DR - stop reading this and go eat something. Right now.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I laughed at that.

Me too :D
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    I'm sure you get this all the time, so how long does it take to actually see results while doing compound lifting SL 5x5 (M,W,F) consistently?

These are my current stats: Squats: 95lbs/ OH Press: 45lbs / Deadlifts: 115lbs / BenchPress: 80 lbs / bentover rows: 70 lbs.

I'm 46, 5'1", 144 lbs, 27% body fat. I'm looking to get leaner, lose fat and lose about 14 lbs. I eat about 1500-1600 calories a day workout days, although I'm supposed to eat about 1270 calories on non-workout days. I run twice a week. I seem to be gaining weight and inches and not looking the way I want. I eat about 80+ grams of protein a day.

Any suggestions? Keep up the workout? Increase weights?

Your calories seem low unless you are really inactive outside of working out. I use this website for calculating clients' TDEE - http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced. I don't think you would gain weight at 1500-1600kcal - you might be missing some calories that you are consuming during the day.

Results? I guess it depends on your experience level, but if you're green, you probably should be making gains each month. Eating in a deficit is going to slow that though.

Keep at it. Yes, you should try to increase weight whenever you can.
    Options

Well I finally watched the documentary on Saturday. It was interesting, but about 45 minutes too long. I think Arnold should of won.

As far as the gamesmanship from Arnold - to me it looked like it was drummed up because the cameras were there.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a weighted vest and I was wondering if doing sprints in a weighted vest can make me faster? What methods do you use to improve explosive speed in your athletes? I'm going to be playing soccer again this summer and want to hold my own against the young bucks. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a weighted vest and I was wondering if doing sprints in a weighted vest can make me faster? What methods do you use to improve explosive speed in your athletes? I'm going to be playing soccer again this summer and want to hold my own against the young bucks. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

If you can find one that fits tight enough, it could help - most of the ones I have used have been far too loose to do any sprinting in. We use them for weighted jumps and some body weight exercises, but not for sprinting.

True top-end speed can really only be developed by sprinting. Acceleration, which is more important for most sports, is best developed by gaining strength. Ideally, you should be able to squat near 2x your body weight and deadlift a little more than 2x your body weight. once you can hit these numbers you can start employing more advanced training methods.

Here are 3 advance training methods that you can use if you have a solid strength foundation -

stack.com/a/3-advanced-explosive-workouts-to-jump-higher-and-run-faster
    Options
    I have some free time this afternoon, so bumping for new questions today. If not, I'll just take a nap.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have some free time this afternoon, so bumping for new questions today. If not, I'll just take a nap.

I'll spoil your nap time. What do you like in the way of agility drills, especially for someone a bit older, but a long term exerciser (resistance, running, biking) to help improve movement patterns.

Thsnks.
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'll spoil your nap time. What do you like in the way of agility drills, especially for someone a bit older, but a long term exerciser (resistance, running, biking) to help improve movement patterns.

Thsnks.

Is there something in particular that you are training for?