Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What are your nutrition qualifications?
    As a distance runner I'm relatively 'healthy' but I can not lose weight to save my life.
    I run 50-60 miles a week
    I eat within my training calories
    Vegetarian, usually a really good diet - yesterday was not so good because it was my hubbys bday.
    Almost perfect blood work (minus low cholesterol)
    I lift (I'm not lifting right now because I'm tapering for a marathon in 2 weeks)
    Ideas on what we're missing?
    Ps I have a team of Docs, nutritionists, and coaches that can't figure it out.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have some free time this afternoon, so bumping for new questions today. If not, I'll just take a nap.

I'll spoil your nap time. What do you like in the way of agility drills, especially for someone a bit older, but a long term exerciser (resistance, running, biking) to help improve movement patterns.

Thsnks.

Is there something in particular that you are training for?

I'm want to be able to move like a ninja at age 75 lol. Not a particular event or sport, just improve movement patterns
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    What are your nutrition qualifications?
    As a distance runner I'm relatively 'healthy' but I can not lose weight to save my life.
    I run 50-60 miles a week
    I eat within my training calories
    Vegetarian, usually a really good diet - yesterday was not so good because it was my hubbys bday.
    Almost perfect blood work (minus low cholesterol)
    I lift (I'm not lifting right now because I'm tapering for a marathon in 2 weeks)
    Ideas on what we're missing?
    Ps I have a team of Docs, nutritionists, and coaches that can't figure it out.

I am not a RD or nutritionist, but most non-disease related nutritional topics are within my scope.

If everything checks out with your doctor, the only thing I could think of is that you are miscalculating your energy intake. You might want to buy a food scale.
    Options
    I have some free time this afternoon, so bumping for new questions today. If not, I'll just take a nap.

I'll spoil your nap time. What do you like in the way of agility drills, especially for someone a bit older, but a long term exerciser (resistance, running, biking) to help improve movement patterns.

Thsnks.

I'm want to be able to move like a ninja at age 75 lol. Not a particular event or sport, just improve movement patterns

Honestly, squats and deadlifts. Most people lose their balance and agility from muscle atrophy. Lunges and single-leg deadlifts are a good way to work on unilateral stability. Depending on your strength level, plyometrics can be beneficial.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Thsnks.

Honestly, squats and deadlifts. Most people lose their balance and agility from muscle atrophy. Lunges and single-leg deadlifts are a good way to work on unilateral stability. Depending on your strength level, plyometrics can be beneficial.

Thanks been at the squats, lunges, deadlifts for years. I was wondering about the desirability of plyos, agility ladder type thing, etc.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    What kind of program would you start someone on if they haven't been in the gym for 15+ years if their goal is to burn calories and gain overall strength?

Background: 38yo F, CW: 188, never lost pregnancy weight (50lbs), no history of disease / ailments (i.e. healthy except for the morbid obesity part). :lol:
    Options

Thsnks.

Thanks been at the squats, lunges, deadlifts for years. I was wondering about the desirability of plyos, agility ladder type thing, etc.

Plyos are good. Ladder drills largely only make you better at doing ladder drills.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start weight lifting but can't afford a gym membership. Are there any online programs or DVD's you recommend? I'm looking for something that literally tells me what to do and how to do it.

Thanks!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a weighted vest and I was wondering if doing sprints in a weighted vest can make me faster? What methods do you use to improve explosive speed in your athletes? I'm going to be playing soccer again this summer and want to hold my own against the young bucks. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

If you can find one that fits tight enough, it could help - most of the ones I have used have been far too loose to do any sprinting in. We use them for weighted jumps and some body weight exercises, but not for sprinting.

True top-end speed can really only be developed by sprinting. Acceleration, which is more important for most sports, is best developed by gaining strength. Ideally, you should be able to squat near 2x your body weight and deadlift a little more than 2x your body weight. once you can hit these numbers you can start employing more advanced training methods.

Here are 3 advance training methods that you can use if you have a solid strength foundation -

stack.com/a/3-advanced-explosive-workouts-to-jump-higher-and-run-faster

You can add resistance with a sled or prowler too.

Ideally, it would be quite nice to have the strength to squat double my bodyweight. Why would that be a factor in combining Plyometrics? I squat/box jump and bench/prowler on my strength training days and can barely squat my bodyweight. ETA: I'm old.

Thsnks.

Circuit training helps me best.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Thsnks.

Honestly, not to piggy back on here....

i've seen pretty good results with the following movements and drills. Essentially you want a proprioceptively enriched environment which stresses your agility, quickness, and speed. The ability to stop and turn, move, change directions, etc. I don't think it only makes you "better at ladder drills", it helps with overall coordination and muscle recruitment, and it stresses the CNS.

I like to set up a giant course for myself to go through while i'm being timed here's a fun routine:
    Ali Shuffle through a ladder one way
    in in out outs on the way back with the ladder
    pick up the jump rope set up at the beginning of the ladder and grapevine down the length of the ladder and back
    Then switch to my box (note: i do NOT use a high box for this!) where i'll do 10 rocket jumps
    Then i'll switch to 10 half turn jumps
    pick up the stopwatch and hit time.

You could of course start of with some simple plyometric training, a game like red light green light or stop/go, games like musical chairs but with markers/cones on the ground, etc.

The above though is difficult and stresses your speed, agility, quickness, balance, and proprioception. Of course training like this is totally not necessary for the average person, but i enjoy doing it for lower body agility. I have a couple things you can do for upper body as well if you're interested. ;)
    Options
    I'd like to start weight lifting but can't afford a gym membership. Are there any online programs or DVD's you recommend? I'm looking for something that literally tells me what to do and how to do it.

Thanks!

I sell an electronic resource that walks you through everything (ebook, workout program, video demonstrations, etc.), but it requires gym access. I'm sure there are some good at-home workout DVDs out there, but I have no history with any and could not recommend any.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a weighted vest and I was wondering if doing sprints in a weighted vest can make me faster? What methods do you use to improve explosive speed in your athletes? I'm going to be playing soccer again this summer and want to hold my own against the young bucks. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

If you can find one that fits tight enough, it could help - most of the ones I have used have been far too loose to do any sprinting in. We use them for weighted jumps and some body weight exercises, but not for sprinting.

True top-end speed can really only be developed by sprinting. Acceleration, which is more important for most sports, is best developed by gaining strength. Ideally, you should be able to squat near 2x your body weight and deadlift a little more than 2x your body weight. once you can hit these numbers you can start employing more advanced training methods.

Here are 3 advance training methods that you can use if you have a solid strength foundation -

Someone mentioned a prowler sled. We have a running resistance chute (a parachute with a light belt around your waist) provides resistance but doesn't impact form. Also cheaper and easier to move around than a prowler (which I love)
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Thsnks.

i've seen pretty good results with the following movements and drills. Essentially you want a proprioceptively enriched environment which stresses your agility, quickness, and speed. The ability to stop and turn, move, change directions, etc. I don't think it only makes you "better at ladder drills", it helps with overall coordination and muscle recruitment, and it stresses the CNS.

I like to set up a giant course for myself to go through while i'm being timed here's a fun routine:
    pick up the jump rope set up at the beginning of the ladder and grapevine down the length of the ladder and back
    Then switch to my box (note: i do NOT use a high box for this!) where i'll do 10 rocket jumps

You could of course start of with some simple plyometric training, a game like red light green light or stop/go, games like musical chairs but with markers/cones on the ground, etc.

The above though is difficult and stresses your speed, agility, quickness, balance, and proprioception. Of course training like this is totally not necessary for the average person, but i enjoy doing it for lower body agility. I have a couple things you can do for upper body as well if you're interested. ;)

ThanKS for the suggestions. Yeah if you have something for upper body would be interested.

Don't know if I'd call it an agility drill or ?? But have gotten to like crawling.
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Thsnks.

Some basic patterns are fine, but there is really little to no carry over to anything outside of the ladder. I use ladders every week, but really only as a warm-up or a way to work some aerobic qualities.

The reason why they do not improve agility outside of the ladder is because everything is largely pattern specific. People do indeed increase the speed at which they can go through the ladder, but it is almost solely due to them becoming accustomed to the pattern. This is why people feel they get faster using them, but if they were to test their agility on a separate test, they would not show improvement.

Agility is 90% genetics. Some can be improve through strength/power training and acceleration/deceleration technique work, but very little can be done to improve firing rate.
  • NA1979
    NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi, how would you modify my current routine? I'm currently about 175 lbs and 20 or so body fat, my calories are below 2100, but I think weight loss has slowed down, I want to get to about 15% and currently I'm training about 3 days a week day one compound bench press, deadlift and squat, day 2, machine chest,legpress, barbell shoulder press, close grip row and shrugs and day 3 is a repeat if day 1,all days I finish with 10 mins hiit on treadmill, I'm on about 136grams protein a day average I'm male, 36 and 5'6thanks!
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

You can add resistance with a sled or prowler too.

Ideally, it would be quite nice to have the strength to squat double my bodyweight. Why would that be a factor in combining Plyometrics? I squat/box jump and bench/prowler on my strength training days and can barely squat my bodyweight. ETA: I'm old.

Thsnks.

Circuit training helps me best.

Plyometrics are used to develop the speed at which you can create force. If you cannot create high levels of force (ie strength) there is nothing to develop. More importantly, the body is much more prone to injury when there is not a solid strength foundation.
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »
    Hi, how would you modify my current routine? I'm currently about 175 lbs and 20 or so body fat, my calories are below 2100, but I think weight loss has slowed down, I want to get to about 15% and currently I'm training about 3 days a week day one compound bench press, deadlift and squat, day 2, machine chest,legpress, barbell shoulder press, close grip row and shrugs and day 3 is a repeat if day 1,all days I finish with 10 mins hiit on treadmill, I'm on about 136grams protein a day average I'm male, 36 and 5'6thanks!

Is there any reason why you do all your compound lifts on one day and your machine exercises on another?

My stock 3-day split looks like this.

Day 1:
    Squat
    Vertical Push
    Vertical Pull

Day 2:
    Deadlift
    Horizontal Push
    Horizontal Pull

Day 3:
    Lunge or Split Squat
    Single Arm Push or High Volume Push
    Single Arm Pull or High Volume Pull
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding goblet squats, please. I can do these with 45 or 50 lbs currently and I've been progressing regularly, however, I have trouble getting that heavy of a weight (for me it's heavy, not for most I realize) into the palms of my hands without straining my arms. I've resorted to standing the dumbbell up on a bench then squat down and pick it up. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? Or is there another method I should use? I'm terrible at explaining things so if that doesn't make sense I'll try to clarify. Thanks!
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I have a question regarding goblet squats, please. I can do these with 45 or 50 lbs currently and I've been progressing regularly, however, I have trouble getting that heavy of a weight (for me it's heavy, not for most I realize) into the palms of my hands without straining my arms. I've resorted to standing the dumbbell up on a bench then squat down and pick it up. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? Or is there another method I should use? I'm terrible at explaining things so if that doesn't make sense I'll try to clarify. Thanks!

That's exactly what I would do.

50lb is usually the point where I start progressing clients to front or back squats. Because females generally are strong in the lower body, but weaker in the upper body, it becomes really hard to hold a weight heavy enough in the hands.