Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    dimasj wrote: »
    what if you are motivated and have lost 50lbs on your own... what reasons would you give for hiring a trainer?

Are you trying to convince yourself to hire a trainer or not hire one? Most people don't need a personal trainer to be healthy and fit - it is a luxury service. If you're doing fine on your own, you should continue on your own until you are no longer making progress to your goal(s).

I agree. A personal trainer is a luxury because it's not cheap but once I got to the point that I wasn't progressing enough on my own I hired one for a few months. I learned much more than I ever thought I would and it was worth it to me. I'll be able to use that knowledge for a while and then will go back to working with my trainer again in a few months.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Regarding the 1977 documentary "Pumping Iron," do you think Lou Fergino should have won?

I know it's sad, but I actually haven't watched Pumping Iron yet. Maybe this weekend...

First time I saw it was last year. IMO, I thought Arnold was a prick.

Some would say the same about Muhammad Ali. He was good at getting into peoples heads. Just like Arnold did.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Would you ever from a picture of my body be able to tell what I need to do to reach my goal ?
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    I was asking the same thing on one of these things but for some reason I can't read the comments
  • darrfarrahxo
    darrfarrahxo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a calorie deficit, trying to lose some fat (namely the belly area). However I'm also aiming to build up on my glutes. Considering that I'm on a deficit right now, is there anyway I can maximize my muscle gains in the glutes on days that I train them? By nutrition or other ways? On days that I train glutes I don't worry too much about being in a deficit and rather focus on getting enough protein and exercise, but not sure if this is the right approach?
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Would you ever from a picture of my body be able to tell what I need to do to reach my goal ?

If it was an aesthetic goal.
  • lizzelspark
    Options

If it was an aesthetic goal.

Be right back gotta google what aesthetic means
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Well my goal is beautiful
  • amandalyons30
    amandalyons30 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a chondromalacia of the patella and after having a dislocated patella and wearing a knee brace for awhile I have some asymmetrical muscle meaning my inside muscle is larger than my outer thighs muscle. Which is pulling my patella out of alignment. Looking for tips and or exercises to help. It hurts so bad to even walk i am having a hard time motivating myself to exercise.
    Thanks for your time,
    Amanda
    Options
    I'm currently on a calorie deficit, trying to lose some fat (namely the belly area). However I'm also aiming to build up on my glutes. Considering that I'm on a deficit right now, is there anyway I can maximize my muscle gains in the glutes on days that I train them? By nutrition or other ways? On days that I train glutes I don't worry too much about being in a deficit and rather focus on getting enough protein and exercise, but not sure if this is the right approach?

Even though you're not in a deficit on training days, your weekly average is still negative, which will make gaining muscle mass hard.

I would just make sure you are consuming 25%+ of your calories from protein to maintain/gain as much muscle as you can. After training you should aim for a 3 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein in your post-workout meal.
    Options
    I have a chondromalacia of the patella and after having a dislocated patella and wearing a knee brace for awhile I have some asymmetrical muscle meaning my inside muscle is larger than my outer thighs muscle. Which is pulling my patella out of alignment. Looking for tips and or exercises to help. It hurts so bad to even walk i am having a hard time motivating myself to exercise.
    Thanks for your time,
    Amanda

Your case may be different, but I don't subscribe to the idea that patella dislocation is a result of a strength discrepancy between the medial and lateral quadriceps. I think you are looking at an underlying ankle or hip issue.

I would find a pt or a good trainer and have them make sure your ankle function is good and you have good strength in your glutes.
  • jpbazemo
    jpbazemo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hope this hasn't been asked before, but how do you feel about electrical muscle stimulators? Not for pain control, but with just enough voltage to make a muscle twitch? I'm trying to get rid of about 200 pounds of body fat, then I want to switch gears, and build the muscles back up. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Thank you I'll give that a try
  • amandalyons30
    Options
    Thanks for your time,
    Amanda

Your case may be different, but I don't subscribe to the idea that patella dislocation is a result of a strength discrepancy between the medial and lateral quadriceps. I think you are looking at an underlying ankle or hip issue.

I would find a pt or a good trainer and have them make sure your ankle function is good and you have good strength in your glutes.

• amandalyons30
    Options
    Thank you
    Options
    jpbazemo wrote: »
    Hi, I hope this hasn't been asked before, but how do you feel about electrical muscle stimulators? Not for pain control, but with just enough voltage to make a muscle twitch? I'm trying to get rid of about 200 pounds of body fat, then I want to switch gears, and build the muscles back up. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

There is no substitute for hard work, don't waste your money.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your time,
    Amanda
    If the pain is that bad, it's not a muscle issue. Your best bet is to consult an orthopedist to assess the issue and how to address getting it better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am a 57- year-old female cyclist, 5'6" tall and 122 lbs. I maintain that weight on 2000 calories a day. I want to start lifting to improve my upper body strength. Do I need to eat more calories to build muscle?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    There's not much you can do to target your abs. Keep dropping the weight and things will tighten up.

Really? I could think of so so many exercises which target the abs...

Not for weight loss. You can't target weight loss, anywhere.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    I am a 57- year-old female cyclist, 5'6" tall and 122 lbs. I maintain that weight on 2000 calories a day. I want to start lifting to improve my upper body strength. Do I need to eat more calories to build muscle?

I am so jealous that you can eat that much. I am 60, 5'7", and maintenance for me is around 1200. And I weigh a lot more than you do. How much do you ride?