Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I have a question regarding goblet squats, please. I can do these with 45 or 50 lbs currently and I've been progressing regularly, however, I have trouble getting that heavy of a weight (for me it's heavy, not for most I realize) into the palms of my hands without straining my arms. I've resorted to standing the dumbbell up on a bench then squat down and pick it up. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? Or is there another method I should use? I'm terrible at explaining things so if that doesn't make sense I'll try to clarify. Thanks!

That's exactly what I would do.

50lb is usually the point where I start progressing clients to front or back squats. Because females generally are strong in the lower body, but weaker in the upper body, it becomes really hard to hold a weight heavy enough in the hands.

Thank you! I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm not quite brave enough to start squats with a barbell but when I start again with my trainer next week I'll see if he thinks I'm ready. Thanks again!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a weighted vest and I was wondering if doing sprints in a weighted vest can make me faster? What methods do you use to improve explosive speed in your athletes? I'm going to be playing soccer again this summer and want to hold my own against the young bucks. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

If you can find one that fits tight enough, it could help - most of the ones I have used have been far too loose to do any sprinting in. We use them for weighted jumps and some body weight exercises, but not for sprinting.

True top-end speed can really only be developed by sprinting. Acceleration, which is more important for most sports, is best developed by gaining strength. Ideally, you should be able to squat near 2x your body weight and deadlift a little more than 2x your body weight. once you can hit these numbers you can start employing more advanced training methods.

Here are 3 advance training methods that you can use if you have a solid strength foundation -

stack.com/a/3-advanced-explosive-workouts-to-jump-higher-and-run-faster

You can add resistance with a sled or prowler too.

Ideally, it would be quite nice to have the strength to squat double my bodyweight. Why would that be a factor in combining Plyometrics? I squat/box jump and bench/prowler on my strength training days and can barely squat my bodyweight. ETA: I'm old.
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have some free time this afternoon, so bumping for new questions today. If not, I'll just take a nap.

I'll spoil your nap time. What do you like in the way of agility drills, especially for someone a bit older, but a long term exerciser (resistance, running, biking) to help improve movement patterns.

Thsnks.

Circuit training helps me best.

Plyometrics are used to develop the speed at which you can create force. If you cannot create high levels of force (ie strength) there is nothing to develop. More importantly, the body is much more prone to injury when there is not a solid strength foundation.

It is possible to jump higher/further with focused and deliberate jumps. I think the injury can be prevented by learning soft landings and stops. I also think they may help with my strength gains. And my strength training helps with my explosive moves. I think both are important at even beginner levels.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    I have a question regarding goblet squats, please. I can do these with 45 or 50 lbs currently and I've been progressing regularly, however, I have trouble getting that heavy of a weight (for me it's heavy, not for most I realize) into the palms of my hands without straining my arms. I've resorted to standing the dumbbell up on a bench then squat down and pick it up. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? Or is there another method I should use? I'm terrible at explaining things so if that doesn't make sense I'll try to clarify. Thanks!

That's exactly what I would do.

50lb is usually the point where I start progressing clients to front or back squats. Because females generally are strong in the lower body, but weaker in the upper body, it becomes really hard to hold a weight heavy enough in the hands.

Thank you! I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm not quite brave enough to start squats with a barbell but when I start again with my trainer next week I'll see if he thinks I'm ready. Thanks again!

I'm sure you will do fine.
  • Amnayla
    Amnayla Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I have just started HIIT.
    I am following a video on youtube, a 10 minute video.
    Hiw many times a day one can do this kind of exercise??
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Options
    Amnayla wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have just started HIIT.
    I am following a video on youtube, a 10 minute video.
    Hiw many times a day one can do this kind of exercise??

Hard to say. What else are you doing for exercise? What is the HIIT routine?
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a weighted vest and I was wondering if doing sprints in a weighted vest can make me faster? What methods do you use to improve explosive speed in your athletes? I'm going to be playing soccer again this summer and want to hold my own against the young bucks. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

If you can find one that fits tight enough, it could help - most of the ones I have used have been far too loose to do any sprinting in. We use them for weighted jumps and some body weight exercises, but not for sprinting.

True top-end speed can really only be developed by sprinting. Acceleration, which is more important for most sports, is best developed by gaining strength. Ideally, you should be able to squat near 2x your body weight and deadlift a little more than 2x your body weight. once you can hit these numbers you can start employing more advanced training methods.

Here are 3 advance training methods that you can use if you have a solid strength foundation -

stack.com/a/3-advanced-explosive-workouts-to-jump-higher-and-run-faster

You can add resistance with a sled or prowler too.

Ideally, it would be quite nice to have the strength to squat double my bodyweight. Why would that be a factor in combining Plyometrics? I squat/box jump and bench/prowler on my strength training days and can barely squat my bodyweight. ETA: I'm old.
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have some free time this afternoon, so bumping for new questions today. If not, I'll just take a nap.

I'll spoil your nap time. What do you like in the way of agility drills, especially for someone a bit older, but a long term exerciser (resistance, running, biking) to help improve movement patterns.

Thsnks.

Circuit training helps me best.

Plyometrics are used to develop the speed at which you can create force. If you cannot create high levels of force (ie strength) there is nothing to develop. More importantly, the body is much more prone to injury when there is not a solid strength foundation.

It is possible to jump higher/further with focused and deliberate jumps. I think the injury can be prevented by learning soft landings and stops. I also think they may help with my strength gains. And my strength training helps with my explosive moves. I think both are important at even beginner levels.

Sure, there are plenty of lower impact plyos that you can use when you are just starting out. They are helpful in learning proper jumping and landing mechanics for when you start upping the intensity with more advance plyos. With this said, you won't make nearly the same gains as you would with a solid strength foundation.
  • rileyes
    Options
    Can you give examples of advanced Plyo? TIA
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What exercises do you recommend to prevent rib injuries?

A few years ago I had a sprain/cartilage tear around one of my floating ribs from jiu jitsu. It caused the rib to pop out a couple of times. I was always able to pop it back in and the injury healed since I had to take time away from the sport when I got pregnant. I'd like to begin training again but want to strengthen the area (intercostals? lats?) to prevent another injury. Any ideas?
    Options
    Can you give examples of advanced Plyo? TIA

Depth Jump
    Hurdle Hop
    Bounding
    Split Jump
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Can you describe how to do a proper pull up? Where exactly should I feel it? I understand better when talking about sensations. What exercises should I do to build upper body strength?
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What exactly is explosiveness? I keep hearing this term in relation to a vast range of exercises and wonder why it's important.

Specifically, I've been given plyo pushups to do and I hate the feeling- it's really jarring. Is there really any great benefit to these, explosiveness or otherwise, or might I just as well skip this exercise?

Thank you!
    Options
    What exercises do you recommend to prevent rib injuries?

A few years ago I had a sprain/cartilage tear around one of my floating ribs from jiu jitsu. It caused the rib to pop out a couple of times. I was always able to pop it back in and the injury healed since I had to take time away from the sport when I got pregnant. I'd like to begin training again but want to strengthen the area (intercostals? lats?) to prevent another injury. Any ideas?

This wouldn't be an area of expertise for me, but I don't think there is much you can do to prevent a subluxation. Ribs are largely held in place by connective tissue, not muscle. Chances are you just naturally have more laxity in your connective tissue.
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Can you describe how to do a proper pull up? Where exactly should I feel it? I understand better when talking about sensations. What exercises should I do to build upper body strength?

Pulls up should be felt in the middle of your back, the front of your arms, and your stomach. I think it's best to do assisted pull ups, then eccentric pull ups, and eventually work your way up to doing full pull ups.

Upper body Strength:

- Push Up
    - Over Head Press
    - Bench Press
    - Inverted Row
    - Pull Up
    - Chest Supported Row
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Do you, personally, do any prep before going on a vacation or other event? If so, what is your routine?

If you're one of those people who stays ready, what would you suggest for a 5'2" 125lb female wanting to look her best in 6 weeks for Mexico?
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »
    What exactly is explosiveness? I keep hearing this term in relation to a vast range of exercises and wonder why it's important.

Specifically, I've been given plyo pushups to do and I hate the feeling- it's really jarring. Is there really any great benefit to these, explosiveness or otherwise, or might I just as well skip this exercise?

Thank you!

I guess it depends on the context. In a general sense, it is being able to generate strength in a timely manner.

If you don't need/want to be powerful, you don't need to train in such a manner. What is your goal?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You might be able to help me where my doctor refuses to. If I eat carbs like cereal, oats, pasta I feel very drained and sleepy. If I eat carbs from bananas I feel fine and if I have a rush of blood (this happens often) having a banana stops that pretty instantly. Have you ever heard of anything like this? Also coffee makes me tired rather than alert, I can have that late at night and sleep easily. This all makes my pre-workout nutrition rather complicated.

Also, I have some strain in my right shoulder which I feel only when I'm doing OHPs and dips, but not when bench pressing. Should I just be avoiding these exercises until it's better or is there anything I can do to help it recover?

Nutrition wise whilst eating at a deficit is the be all and end all of fat loss, do you have any tips on top of this that help?

Thank you.
  • rileyes
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »

Thank you!

I guess it depends on the context. In a general sense, it is being able to generate strength in a timely manner.

If you don't need/want to be powerful, you don't need to train in such a manner. What is your goal?

Also, if I may add from my own experience...

The jarring may be from unfocused movement. Each movement should be deliberate or controlled in eccentric and concentric phases. The explosive part is moving off the floor in a burst. The landing should be soft and quiet. Your body needs to support the movement.

I sometimes feel like I throw my shoulder out when I improperly swing a racquet or club or pitch a baseball. I tame this with focus on the move and engage all supporting muscles at the hinge. For instance, when I serve (tennis), I engage all areas around the shoulder (lats, pecs, traps...while still allowing range of motion) and rotate my body to support the movement.
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Do you, personally, do any prep before going on a vacation or other event? If so, what is your routine?

If you're one of those people who stays ready, what would you suggest for a 5'2" 125lb female wanting to look her best in 6 weeks for Mexico?

Seems like you're at a good weight. I would just eat close to maintenance and workout hard.

A few days before you leave you can lower your carbohydrate consumption and avoid excessive sodium. I would recommend not doing any drastic fluid manipulation because it is hard on the body and you'll feel like crap.
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    You might be able to help me where my doctor refuses to. If I eat carbs like cereal, oats, pasta I feel very drained and sleepy. If I eat carbs from bananas I feel fine and if I have a rush of blood (this happens often) having a banana stops that pretty instantly. Have you ever heard of anything like this? Also coffee makes me tired rather than alert, I can have that late at night and sleep easily. This all makes my pre-workout nutrition rather complicated.

Also, I have some strain in my right shoulder which I feel only when I'm doing OHPs and dips, but not when bench pressing. Should I just be avoiding these exercises until it's better or is there anything I can do to help it recover?

Nutrition wise whilst eating at a deficit is the be all and end all of fat loss, do you have any tips on top of this that help?

Thank you.

1. Foods like cereal, pasta, etc. are calorie dense, so it's probably the amount of carbs that you are eating, not the type that is making you feel sluggish. Fruit also has more vitamins, water, and fiber than grains, so I'm sure that adds a little to making you feel better.

2. I know some people that are not affected by caffeine, so that isn't all that unusual.

3. Yes, I would avoid any exercise that hurts. Many adults should avoid OHP and dips because they do not have the mobility/stability to perform them pain-free. It's hard to say what to do to fix the problem without seeing you.

4. Unless you're pretty lean already, I would just focus on eating at a deficit. Strength training will help as well.