Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    With dips it usually stings a bit at first, then second or third set I'm a lot better. Will shoulders get enough overload from bench pressing to increase strength and size?

I'm pretty lean already, not clearly defined abs lean, but close.

Thanks.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    @DreesPerformanceTraining Thank you so much!
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    With dips it usually stings a bit at first, then second or third set I'm a lot better. Will shoulders get enough overload from bench pressing to increase strength and size?

I'm pretty lean already, not clearly defined abs lean, but close.

Thanks.

I don't recommend dips for most people - a lot of stress on the anterior shoulder.

If you want to work your shoulders pain-free try using bear crawl variations, landmine presses, and kettlebell presses.
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    @DreesPerformanceTraining Thank you so much!

You're welcome - hope it helps.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Pilates is my exercise of choice, but lately when I'm in plank position (we seem to spend a lot of time there), for some reason my right wrist always gets injured, seemingly with me just keeping it in that static weight-bearing position. The coach on the youtube videos suggests holding yourself up with your fists, but I honestly can't figure out how anyone can hold up their body weight in that position. Do you have any suggestions on how I can prevent the pain (besides giving up anything in plank position)?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »
    Pilates is my exercise of choice, but lately when I'm in plank position (we seem to spend a lot of time there), for some reason my right wrist always gets injured, seemingly with me just keeping it in that static weight-bearing position. The coach on the youtube videos suggests holding yourself up with your fists, but I honestly can't figure out how anyone can hold up their body weight in that position. Do you have any suggestions on how I can prevent the pain (besides giving up anything in plank position)?

Chiming in with my experience: I got tendonitis from pilates plus lifestyle. First, check your plank form - are you properly aligned? If you're not, you could be putting too much stress on your wrist. I also wear a brace when my wrist starts to bother me now, and that makes it easier to hold yourself up with your fists.

As far as treating your wrist, do some strengthening exercises. Take a light dumbbell and write the alphabet twice. That should move your wrist through its whole range of motion. Also, do you spend an excessive amount of time on your phone or an iPad? Do you cook (stirring) a lot, or do other repetitive motion actions? Try to limit those sorts of activities if possible as they tend to aggravate your injury.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Chiming in with my experience: I got tendonitis from pilates plus lifestyle. First, check your plank form - are you properly aligned? If you're not, you could be putting too much stress on your wrist. I also wear a brace when my wrist starts to bother me now, and that makes it easier to hold yourself up with your fists.

As far as treating your wrist, do some strengthening exercises. Take a light dumbbell and write the alphabet twice. That should move your wrist through its whole range of motion. Also, do you spend an excessive amount of time on your phone or an iPad? Do you cook (stirring) a lot, or do other repetitive motion actions? Try to limit those sorts of activities if possible as they tend to aggravate your injury.

I'm pretty good about checking my form each time I get into that position (hands right under shoulders and no butt in the air). I was also thinking about a brace, but the only one I've ever tried on was a carpal tunnel brace that had a hard skeleton so it wouldn't bend that way.

I'll definitely work on the wrist strengthening though. And it's weird because I'm left handed but it's my right wrist, so normally there's no repetitive motions going on with that wrist.

Thanks for the advice!
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know that one side of the body is weaker than the other. Does that explain why one seems to be more toned? I've still got a way to go. Is there a way to even it out or is it just because of it being weaker? Sorry if it's a stupid question
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Tips on How to lose my belly!
    Options

You could try putting two dumbbells on the ground and do your planks while gripping them. It will keep your wrist in a better position without all the pressure on the knuckles.
    Options
    I know that one side of the body is weaker than the other. Does that explain why one seems to be more toned? I've still got a way to go. Is there a way to even it out or is it just because of it being weaker? Sorry if it's a stupid question

If one side is stronger it most likely also has more muscle, so yes. Try doing some more unilateral exercises.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

You could try putting two dumbbells on the ground and do your planks while gripping them. It will keep your wrist in a better position without all the pressure on the knuckles.

There's that, or make fists - that's what I do when I do planks. Which is rare, but still, it keeps my wrists straight/strong.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    What is the best strategy for passing gas in the gym? Crop-dusting? Blaming someone else? Total denial?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    What is the best strategy for passing gas in the gym? Crop-dusting? Blaming someone else? Total denial?

Smile and proudly take ownership.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

I fart really loud, and then bust off into a fast walk and yell "turbo!"
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    why should someone hire a personal trainer?
    Options
    katie22mfp wrote: »
    Hello
    Tips on How to lose my belly!

Consume less and burn more.
    Options
    dimasj wrote: »
    why should someone hire a personal trainer?

The two that jump out to me are guidance and motivation, but there are many reasons that I can think of. Some people just want someone to talk to for an hour.
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    what if you are motivated and have lost 50lbs on your own... what reasons would you give for hiring a trainer?
    Options
    dimasj wrote: »
    what if you are motivated and have lost 50lbs on your own... what reasons would you give for hiring a trainer?

Are you trying to convince yourself to hire a trainer or not hire one? Most people don't need a personal trainer to be healthy and fit - it is a luxury service. If you're doing fine on your own, you should continue on your own until you are no longer making progress to your goal(s).