Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• Awesomechic64
    Awesomechic64 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am post menopausal and have that midsection fat. I have already lost 41 pounds..slowly as I have RA and many other osteo problems. I would like to lose another 20-30 pounds but have been stalled for a long time. Any suggestions that are easy on the joints?
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Screwed up again.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I injured my shoulder over a year ago doing a side plank with bad form. I should have stopped and figured out what I was doing wrong, but instead I went until my shoulder sort of "slid" out of place. It wasn't dislocated or anything, but it did hurt for a bit.

Now it no longer hurts on a daily basis, but clicks and pops often and also gets exhausted far more easily than my healthy shoulder.

Is there anyway to rehabilitate my shoulder or am I just always going to have to deal with one being weaker than the other?
  • Niecy92
    Niecy92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight, everything start shrinking..everything! What are some good workouts/machines that caters to establishing a "full round" rear-end? (my rear-end is there, but its kinda flat and less bigger then it use to be) And how long? At my the gym, there is a Arc Trainer and Stairmaster.

Thanks.
    Options
    I am post menopausal and have that midsection fat. I have already lost 41 pounds..slowly as I have RA and many other osteo problems. I would like to lose another 20-30 pounds but have been stalled for a long time. Any suggestions that are easy on the joints?

Swimming is always my go-to for anyone with joint issues. Being post menopausal, I would also as much strength training as your body allows. I think when done properly your joint will actually feel better.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I find that I have to average around 80 mi on the run and 300 mi on the bike just to maintain weightloss already have. If I back off of either, weight comes back fairly quickly. This has been going on for two years. Options?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Swimming is always my go-to for anyone with joint issues. Being post menopausal, I would also as much strength training as your body allows. I think when done properly your joint will actually feel better.

You're right OP. I swim and have OA. I started weights, doing what I can since last year, and I'm alot better.
    Options
    I injured my shoulder over a year ago doing a side plank with bad form. I should have stopped and figured out what I was doing wrong, but instead I went until my shoulder sort of "slid" out of place. It wasn't dislocated or anything, but it did hurt for a bit.

Now it no longer hurts on a daily basis, but clicks and pops often and also gets exhausted far more easily than my healthy shoulder.

Is there anyway to rehabilitate my shoulder or am I just always going to have to deal with one being weaker than the other?

Sounds like some shoulder instability. It would be hard for me to get in-depth enough here, but to build strength/stability in the shoulder I like doing things like bear crawls, Turkish get-ups, and kettlebell press.

This is all assuming there is nothing more serious wrong within the shoulder...
    Options
    Niecy92 wrote: »
    When I started losing weight, everything start shrinking..everything! What are some good workouts/machines that caters to establishing a "full round" rear-end? (my rear-end is there, but its kinda flat and less bigger then it use to be) And how long? At my the gym, there is a Arc Trainer and Stairmaster.

Thanks.

Squats, deadlifts, and hip thrusts.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What causes itchy muscles after having increased exercise (about 3 months ago). Why am I only getting it now? Do trainers learn these kinds of things?
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    What causes itchy muscles after having increased exercise (about 3 months ago). Why am I only getting it now? Do trainers learn these kinds of things?

Do you take a pre-workout? It could be Beta-Alanine.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Months ago, I was deadlifting ~1.3x bodyweight and my left SI joint subluxed quite horribly. Are there any particular exercises you'd recommend to help with SI joint stability?

Atm, I'm trying really hard to improve my glute activation, trying wide stance DLs and squats, but am scared of going higher than 1x bw, though its getting pretty easy. Should I be adding weight with SI stability issues? Is there a smarter way I could be testing my limits?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

You need to go to a doctor and figure out what is going on. May send you to physical therapy to work on it.
  • aaromalloyola666
    aaromalloyola666 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6'1" guy weighing 185 lbs.Would losing around 20 lbs with both diet and exercise have a profound effect on my physical appearance.As of now,I'm not fat but still chubby.
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Months ago, I was deadlifting ~1.3x bodyweight and my left SI joint subluxed quite horribly. Are there any particular exercises you'd recommend to help with SI joint stability?

Atm, I'm trying really hard to improve my glute activation, trying wide stance DLs and squats, but am scared of going higher than 1x bw, though its getting pretty easy. Should I be adding weight with SI stability issues? Is there a smarter way I could be testing my limits?

Did you get it diagnosed or are you going off your symptoms? SI pain is common and can range quite a bit. There is the, "my lower back hurts today" pain that anyone that has ever went heavy on the squat and deadlift have felt, to the, "I need surgery to fuse my SI" pain.

If it's minor I like to do 4-way isometric holds. Holding each position 3-5 seconds for 5-10 reps.

1. Squeeze thighs together with a foam roller between your legs (adduction)
    2. Side lying clams (abduction)
    3. Pull knee to chest against resistance (flexion)
    4. Single leg hip bridges (extension)

If you're feeling good, maybe add 5-10lb a week and ease into heavier weight?
    Options
    I'm a 6'1" guy weighing 185 lbs.Would losing around 20 lbs with both diet and exercise have a profound effect on my physical appearance.As of now,I'm not fat but still chubby.

I am 5'8" 193lb and around 10% body fat. Your weight isn't a good indicator of how lean you are. I would add in some more resistance training.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Do you take a pre-workout? It could be Beta-Alanine.

No, I don't. I sometimes take ISO Gold Whey after but not recently in relation to the itching. I shall ask my doctor tomorrow hahah. Pharmacist freaked me out. Thanks though!
  • teri139
    teri139 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with fat at my armpits. What is the best toning exercises for there for fastest results if i keep my diet correct ?