Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• MezArcher
    MezArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    MezArcher wrote: »
    hi, I have been losing weight on loads of walking (several walks a day) and I have been contemplating doing strength training but I will have to give up one of my walks and I am worried it will slow my weight loss up if I do this. do you have any thoughts on this?

I think it would be a net positive. I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale, I would go by how you look and feel.

thank you for this as someone that has not done any fitness traing before is there any particular workouts I should try??
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    MadDuck62 wrote: »
    What is the common way that gyms handle people traveling on business who want to work out 1-3 times while they are in town?

Every gyms policies will be different. This is what I do -
    When you know what town you will be staying in , do a Google search of the closest gym to your hotel . ( some hotels have small gym rooms so find out if yours has a gym room ) then call the closest gym to your hotel and let them know that you are a traveler and will want to use their facilities a few times. Most will let you buy a guest pass ( price varies. I've paid $5 to $20)

That's what I do. I've usually paid $10 lately including a visit at the Metroflex in the Dallas area (Ronnie Coleman's home gym, incredible atmosphere if you like a hard core training experience). A Planet Fitness tried to charge me $20 for a day pass (yes the place that charges $10 a month). I skipped that.

As a side note, I've found "day pass" at some gyms is 24 hours, so if you stagger your workout times a bit you can go 2 calendar days for a one day admission.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    How would you deal with a client, who has an addictive personality and gets bored of things really easily?
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    MadDuck62 wrote: »
    What is the common way that gyms handle people traveling on business who want to work out 1-3 times while they are in town?

We are a training facility where all clients work 1-on-1 or in groups with a trainer, so we do not have any gym members.

I would take thorsmom01's advice.
  • alanjreed
    alanjreed Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If someone was interested in becoming a personal trainer how much difference do the different recertification agency (obviously a reputable true certification) really have? Are the certifications very general or is one geared more towards one on one training vs groups or stregth training vs cardio?
    Options
    How would you deal with a client, who has an addictive personality and gets bored of things really easily?

Dealing with addictive personalities are out of my wheelhouse, but I think clients getting bored is fairly common. 80% of my programs are set for 4+ weeks, but I'll make up around 20% on the spot to add variety to the workouts.

For example, I might have "10 minutes of HIIT" written in the program and I'll just make up something on the spot for that client on that particular day. All the major stuff is structured and based off the client's 1RM.
  • Rockchick09
    Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ohh I've got one I've been struggling with. I'm almost 30, 5'2 and 132 lbs with 26% body fat.. How do I know when I'm fit and when to start to eat to maintain weight?
    Options
    alanjreed wrote: »
    If someone was interested in becoming a personal trainer how much difference do the different recertification agency (obviously a reputable true certification) really have? Are the certifications very general or is one geared more towards one on one training vs groups or stregth training vs cardio?

There are some differences. The NSCA-CSCS is geared more towards working with team athletes. Others are geared towards personal training and group training.

I would look into whatever certification fits best with the clients that you want to work with. You may also want to call gyms in your area and see which certification they prefer.
    Options
    heyaberg wrote: »
    Ohh I've got one I've been struggling with. I'm almost 30, 5'2 and 132 lbs with 26% body fat.. How do I know when I'm fit and when to start to eat to maintain weight?

"Fit" is a pretty subjective word. If you're happy with how you look and feel, then you can probably maintain your weight. I think most charts would consider your bodyfat % as healthy.

If you're looking to drop your bodyfat % more, you do not necessarily need to eat in a deficit.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do you allow chalk in your gym?
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Any suggestions for isolating the posterior delt and teres minor for strength increase, and overall how to resolve a medial shoulder rotation due to work factors?

I'm not sure what you mean by a medial shoulder rotation, but it is usually best to think of the shoulder as a whole. I'm not a big fan of isolated rotator cuff work unless there is some sort of muscular weakness. I like things like bear crawls, turkish get-ups, and kettlebell press for rotator cuff health.

Specifically, what to do for the rear delts?

Layman description of the rotation is inward shoulder rotation. Think tubby tech support guy posture, but on a trained lifter. It's sad.

Cable face pulls, band pull aparts. Take a look at this series of articles by Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/neanderthal-no-more-5

The link is to part 5, but you can work back via links to parts 1-4. It's some of their earlier work, but very detailed in explaining and working out the problems our modern jobs/lifestyles bring on.

Best of luck.

Thanks, exactly the type of resources I was looking for! Super simple stuff, I should have known. Some of these are going in the mix tomorrow.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Any suggestions for isolating the posterior delt and teres minor for strength increase, and overall how to resolve a medial shoulder rotation due to work factors?

I'm not sure what you mean by a medial shoulder rotation, but it is usually best to think of the shoulder as a whole. I'm not a big fan of isolated rotator cuff work unless there is some sort of muscular weakness. I like things like bear crawls, turkish get-ups, and kettlebell press for rotator cuff health.

Specifically, what to do for the rear delts?

Layman description of the rotation is inward shoulder rotation. Think tubby tech support guy posture, but on a trained lifter. It's sad.

Cable face pulls, band pull aparts. Take a look at this series of articles by Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/neanderthal-no-more-5

The link is to part 5, but you can work back via links to parts 1-4. It's some of their earlier work, but very detailed in explaining and working out the problems our modern jobs/lifestyles bring on.

Best of luck.

Thanks, exactly the type of resources I was looking for! Super simple stuff, I should have known. Some of these are going in the mix tomorrow.

Glad it helped. Here's another one I thought was pretty good, this a 2 parter from Tony Gentilcore:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/de-constructing-computer-guy-2

Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Yes, but we aren't Crossfit, so the chalk stays in the bucket.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Yes, but we aren't Crossfit, so the chalk stays in the bucket.

Do your members eat the chalk ?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Why is my car making a knocking noise?

Are you low on 710 fluid? That's kind of important.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I just want to point out that this is teetering very closely on the line of "self promotion", IMO.

I am also a certified personal trainer, fitness business owner where i run bootcamps/online training/1 on 1 personal training, but i was under the impression starting threads like this was strictly forbidden under the TOS. :angry:

Y so much jealousy?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I just want to point out that this is teetering very closely on the line of "self promotion", IMO.

I am also a certified personal trainer, fitness business owner where i run bootcamps/online training/1 on 1 personal training, but i was under the impression starting threads like this was strictly forbidden under the TOS. :angry:

Y so much jealousy?

Okay. :neutral: