Ask a Personal Trainer/Gym Owner

Options

Replies

• MKid2009
    MKid2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This app tells me that I need to consume 1200 calories..... If I lose 500 calories a day via exercise, do I still eat 1200 and lose weight, or is it now 1700 and lose weight? This has been confusing for me for a while. Any insight would be helpful.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    teri139 wrote: »
    I really struggle with fat at my armpits. What is the best toning exercises for there for fastest results if i keep my diet correct ?

Squat, deadlift, repeat. There is nothing you can do to target your armpits.
    Options
    MKid2009 wrote: »
    This app tells me that I need to consume 1200 calories..... If I lose 500 calories a day via exercise, do I still eat 1200 and lose weight, or is it now 1700 and lose weight? This has been confusing for me for a while. Any insight would be helpful.

Well first, 1,200kcal in itself seems really low. I feel MFP is low on their calorie estimates, but it might be due to them assuming people will miss some stuff logging. I never let my clients go below 1,500-1,700kcal/day.

To your question, you can eat those extra calories or not - up to you. If you do not, you will be in a very large deficit. If you do, you will have the same deficit you would if you did not workout that day.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Why are trainers currently opting for functional training over a progressive program with barbells? It seems to be the hot trend right now - private functional training studios are popping up all over my city, and getting a trainer at my big box gym to let a client in the squat rack is a serious battle.
    Options
    Why are trainers currently opting for functional training over a progressive program with barbells? It seems to be the hot trend right now - private functional training studios are popping up all over my city, and getting a trainer at my big box gym to let a client in the squat rack is a serious battle.

Everything goes in trends. When people moved away from the weight machines, things tipped in the opposite direction.

From a business standpoint, having a 1,200sf studio with minimal equipment allows people to open up that couldn't open a larger gym. Same reason why so many Crossfits are in every city.

Eventually things balance out.
  • MKid2009
    MKid2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Well first, 1,200kcal in itself seems really low. I feel MFP is low on their calorie estimates, but it might be due to them assuming people will miss some stuff logging. I never let my clients go below 1,500-1,700kcal/day.

To your question, you can eat those extra calories or not - up to you. If you do not, you will be in a very large deficit. If you do, you will have the same deficit you would if you did not workout that day.

Thank you! That was helpful!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Everything goes in trends. When people moved away from the weight machines, things tipped in the opposite direction.

From a business standpoint, having a 1,200sf studio with minimal equipment allows people to open up that couldn't open a larger gym. Same reason why so many Crossfits are in every city.

What do you see as the pros and cons of functional training vs. a progressive program with barbells. My trainer does functional training and I have improved immensely in the last 2 years in many areas, including strength, endurance, and flexibility. We do TRX, bodyweight, dumbbells, kettlebells, resist bands, etc. With all the posts here on MFP about progressive heavy lifting, I worry that I'm missing something that would help me even more.
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

What do you see as the pros and cons of functional training vs. a progressive program with barbells. My trainer does functional training and I have improved immensely in the last 2 years in many areas, including strength, endurance, and flexibility. We do TRX, bodyweight, dumbbells, kettlebells, resist bands, etc. With all the posts here on MFP about progressive heavy lifting, I worry that I'm missing something that would help me even more.

I would argue that barbell work is functional.

I guess what I was referring to and I think what mskessler89 was referring to are the guru trainers that do single leg squats on BOSU balls or specialty gyms that only do kettlebells or only TRX.

We use TRXs, kettlebells, and resistance bands everyday, but nothing can replace a heavy barbell.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Months ago, I was deadlifting ~1.3x bodyweight and my left SI joint subluxed quite horribly. Are there any particular exercises you'd recommend to help with SI joint stability?

Atm, I'm trying really hard to improve my glute activation, trying wide stance DLs and squats, but am scared of going higher than 1x bw, though its getting pretty easy. Should I be adding weight with SI stability issues? Is there a smarter way I could be testing my limits?

Did you get it diagnosed or are you going off your symptoms? SI pain is common and can range quite a bit. There is the, "my lower back hurts today" pain that anyone that has ever went heavy on the squat and deadlift have felt, to the, "I need surgery to fuse my SI" pain.

If it's minor I like to do 4-way isometric holds. Holding each position 3-5 seconds for 5-10 reps.

1. Squeeze thighs together with a foam roller between your legs (adduction)
    2. Side lying clams (abduction)
    3. Pull knee to chest against resistance (flexion)
    4. Single leg hip bridges (extension)

If you're feeling good, maybe add 5-10lb a week and ease into heavier weight?

Years ago, my SI joint was diagnosed when it used to shift a little. Was definitely of the minor variety. Then had 0 pain after some lifestyle changes, up until the aforementioned deadlifting incident where it popped out big time. That laid me out in bed with heat/ice packs and painkillers. It was awful. Slowly worked my way back up from the empty bar since then.

Tbh, I've been feeling great, with 0 pain for months, just mentally terrified of a repeat incident, since it seemed to happen out the blue without warning. So I appreciate the list of holds. I haven't been doing #1(adduction) or #3(flexion) with any sort of resistance, so will add those in. Thank you!
    Options
    Months ago, I was deadlifting ~1.3x bodyweight and my left SI joint subluxed quite horribly. Are there any particular exercises you'd recommend to help with SI joint stability?

Atm, I'm trying really hard to improve my glute activation, trying wide stance DLs and squats, but am scared of going higher than 1x bw, though its getting pretty easy. Should I be adding weight with SI stability issues? Is there a smarter way I could be testing my limits?

Did you get it diagnosed or are you going off your symptoms? SI pain is common and can range quite a bit. There is the, "my lower back hurts today" pain that anyone that has ever went heavy on the squat and deadlift have felt, to the, "I need surgery to fuse my SI" pain.

If it's minor I like to do 4-way isometric holds. Holding each position 3-5 seconds for 5-10 reps.

1. Squeeze thighs together with a foam roller between your legs (adduction)
    2. Side lying clams (abduction)
    3. Pull knee to chest against resistance (flexion)
    4. Single leg hip bridges (extension)

If you're feeling good, maybe add 5-10lb a week and ease into heavier weight?

Years ago, my SI joint was diagnosed when it used to shift a little. Was definitely of the minor variety. Then had 0 pain after some lifestyle changes, up until the aforementioned deadlifting incident where it popped out big time. That laid me out in bed with heat/ice packs and painkillers. It was awful. Slowly worked my way back up from the empty bar since then.

Tbh, I've been feeling great, with 0 pain for months, just mentally terrified of a repeat incident, since it seemed to happen out the blue without warning. So I appreciate the list of holds. I haven't been doing #1(adduction) or #3(flexion) with any sort of resistance, so will add those in. Thank you!

Sorry I thought I had a video of all those on my YouTube, but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, #3 and #4 should be done unilaterally.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6'1" guy weighing 185 lbs.Would losing around 20 lbs with both diet and exercise have a profound effect on my physical appearance.As of now,I'm not fat but still chubby.

I am 5'8" 193lb and around 10% body fat. Your weight isn't a good indicator of how lean you are. I would add in some more resistance training.

I was sure this was a trick question.
    Options
    Regarding the 1977 documentary "Pumping Iron," do you think Lou Fergino should have won?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Should a woman try recomping only when they get to a certain body fat percentage?

I'm 33 years old, 5'7", 174lbs. 165 is the weight I was when I graduated high school (lean, plenty of muscle, athlete) and 163-165 is where I've been most fit as an adult as well.

Right now I'm doing Phul and would like to start running/sprinting once a week as well (not sure if I can work that in with my work schedule, hubby's work schedule, and 3 young kids). My Handheld bf% reader (I know I know), says I'm at 30% (one time I got 3% fatter in 3 days lol). But based on various pictures of bf %, I think I'm about 27% or so maybe a hair less if I'm lucky.

So should I keep cutting for now or recomp? I def have fat to lose so I'm thinking cutting is best but wanted an outside opinion.
    Options
    Regarding the 1977 documentary "Pumping Iron," do you think Lou Fergino should have won?

I know it's sad, but I actually haven't watched Pumping Iron yet. Maybe this weekend...

DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »
    Should a woman try recomping only when they get to a certain body fat percentage?

I'm 33 years old, 5'7", 174lbs. 165 is the weight I was when I graduated high school (lean, plenty of muscle, athlete) and 163-165 is where I've been most fit as an adult as well.

Right now I'm doing Phul and would like to start running/sprinting once a week as well (not sure if I can work that in with my work schedule, hubby's work schedule, and 3 young kids). My Handheld bf% reader (I know I know), says I'm at 30% (one time I got 3% fatter in 3 days lol). But based on various pictures of bf %, I think I'm about 27% or so maybe a hair less if I'm lucky.

So should I keep cutting for now or recomp? I def have fat to lose so I'm thinking cutting is best but wanted an outside opinion.

I guess it depends on your end goal. If 163-165 and lean is your goal, then you obviously need to continue cutting. Maybe just do a conservative cut and see how you look and feel after you have lost a couple pounds?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »

I guess it depends on your end goal. If 163-165 and lean is your goal, then you obviously need to continue cutting. Maybe just do a conservative cut and see how you look and feel after you have lost a couple pounds?

I keep saying 165 is my first goal. I guess I want to see what I look like there and reevaluate. Thanks!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The general "rule" (for males) seems to be that you need to achieve a 10% (ish) BF value before bulking (if you subscribe to bulk/cut cycle method).

How important do you see it to hit that 10% (or close) and if a trainee decided to bulk at a higher BF, what would the implications be?

Thanks
    Options

I know it's sad, but I actually haven't watched Pumping Iron yet. Maybe this weekend...

First time I saw it was last year. IMO, I thought Arnold was a prick.
    Options
    The general "rule" (for males) seems to be that you need to achieve a 10% (ish) BF value before bulking (if you subscribe to bulk/cut cycle method).

How important do you see it to hit that 10% (or close) and if a trainee decided to bulk at a higher BF, what would the implications be?

Thanks

I'm not a big fan of the whole bulk/cut mindset unless you're a competitive bodybuilder. Why not do both? I see guys everyday that are around 15-25% that are able to put on size while lowering their bf%.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Does weightlifting ever not work for someone, based on genetic potential, if they are giving good effort?

Background: 36 yo F, 5'5", CW 152, weighed <120 when I got married 8 years ago. Still had a fair bit of fat, very little muscles, not bony at all. Wasn't weightlifting but running ~15 miles a week. Now I just have more fat.

Have been weightlifting for 4 months with IMO good effort, following a structured program with progressive resistance (Strong by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove). Have lost 15 lbs from SW 167. But weights have not increased that much (squat 60 lbs, DL 100 lbs, BP 50 lbs). Can't even dream of doing a chin up or push up on the floor. And don't see any muscle hypertrophy.

Feel like others on this forum have progressed much more quickly and wonder if I'm destined to be weak even if I get thinner.