Is this a good idea?

Options
124»

Replies

• tenshi614
    tenshi614 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »
    Make sure you have some backup/alternative exercises. What are you going to do if you have a sick kid? With four kids they could pass an illness around for a couple weeks. What if it is raining or there is a chance of rain? Its one thing to go out and exercise in bad weather when it is just you, it is another when you are dragging a child along with you. Also there will be times when you can't dedicate three hours to exercising and it might be better to get in a short workout instead of your usual long one.

Since you are new here, don't worry about replying to everyone's posts. Sometimes just leave the computer and let the debate spin for a while. Usually the bad ideas are squashed and a consensus emerges. It is better to say "OK" to what eventually emerges than to everything that is thrown against the wall.

What do u suggest I do for short ones?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Do some searches for body weight exercises. Planks, pushups, lunges, squats...you can easily do these around the house whenever you have a free minute or two. One day I did 50 calf raises and 50 wall pushups by doing them in batches of 10 every time I had a free minute.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    3 hours is a long walk! I get bored trying to hit 1 hour.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options

I frequently walk for 3 hours or more. You just have to have good music to listen to. :)
  • tenshi614
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Do some searches for body weight exercises. Planks, pushups, lunges, squats...you can easily do these around the house whenever you have a free minute or two. One day I did 50 calf raises and 50 wall pushups by doing them in batches of 10 every time I had a free minute.

Ok I will try
  • tenshi614
    Options

That's y I walk the lake, stuff 2 see
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    tenshi614 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Just remember to log your food accurately! Food scale is a must. You wouldn't believe how much I was going over in the first month just guessing at sizes or servings. it doesn't matter much at first if you have a lot to lose, but unless you're weighing everything, I guarantee you're eating more than 1200 right now.

I use the Barcode scanner and have measured most of the food with measuring cups

Measuring cups aren't accurate.

Oh, that's all I have.

Get yourself a food scale as soon as you can - they're not hugely expensive, I got a stylish little one from Wal-Mart for less than $20. Measuring cups and spoons are fine for liquids but not for solids (and even cups vary - my metal set holds a different amount to my plastic set).

If you're scanning barcodes, double-check the MFP entry against the packaging since they are entered by users and may not be accurate. Also, weigh the food anyway because very often even a single-serving pack contains more than it says - sometimes 50% over! Another very good reason for getting a food scale. It really is worth the money.

Ok I will try when we get paid.

You can pick up a digital food scale cheap. It's essential to learning your portions in the begining. When you're a busy mother with small children, you do what you can do. Sometimes you need to be creative with exercises. I've found planking, and body weight squats can do alot for you and don't take alot of time. Your walking is an excellent thing to do. Never give up OP. That's the best advice I can give you.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what you are saying but MFP is designed for you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories.

I never eat back any calories. It depends on the individual. If she pos or other metobolic issues like me eating them back you won't lose. I have to stay at around 1200 to 1000 calories and work off at least half just to lose one pound per week at most.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what you are saying but MFP is designed for you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories.

I never eat back any calories. It depends on the individual. If she pos or other metobolic issues like me eating them back you won't lose. I have to stay at around 1200 to 1000 calories and work off at least half just to lose one pound per week at most.

Idk how much I'm gonna lose yet, just started thus tuesday.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Go here
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

Open each link and read all of them carefully. Don't forget to watch any video links.

Pretty much everything you need to know about how to do this successfully is in those links.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 kids (my youngest is 18 months) and I'm 5 feet tall. I eat between 1300 and 1500 calories per day and I've lost 20 pounds since January 24. I couldn't keep up with the kids if I at less than this. So, you shouldn't be afraid to eat a little more.

For weight bearing exercises, I use my kids a lot. Squats and planks with a 30 pound toddler are amazing! The kids think it's a game, I'm getting a workout--win-win.