Cottage Cheese

Options
124»

Replies

• mariepar
    mariepar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Use Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese - protein powder/ricotta/Greek yogurt and berries so good!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Some brands of lowfat or fat free cottage cheese are better than others; I love it plain on triscuits or with peaches (canned are okay when fresh aren't in season). But I like some brands over others.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It works well in smoothies
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I like the onion and chive kind. I tried the one with pineapple in it and was nearly sick.:sick: I tried the pineapple one again several times (just to see if my taste had changed)... and I still hate it.

Yeah, I never get the ones with added stuff. They all taste nasty to me. I get the plain and add my own fresh stuff.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    pepper on top LOl
    in lasanga

in smoothies yuk- NO
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yes take Quark instead! Much better! Just try one pot and you'll see what I mean! You get it in most supermarkets!

Or you can make quark. Heat up some milk, add acid, strain, and voila! Quark/ricotta/paneer. From my blog: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/06/05/quark-is-not-just-a-subatomic-particle/

Quark is not easily available in US supermarkets. It's more of a European thing.

Quark is one of the first things I buy when I get over there so I can spread it on some yummy fresh Brötchen, whatever variety I can find with seeds on it! :smooched:
  • kayfager
    kayfager Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it...why eat it?
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    Make sure to get a good brand too. Store brand usually sucks. Borden is my favorite. DELICIOUS!
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Daisy 2% small curd with mandarin oranges! Be sure to drain the oranges.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My fave way to have it:

1/2 C cottage cheese
    1/3 C strawberries
    dash of cinnamon

BREAKFAST!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    with tomatoes and salt and pepper! yum!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like pineapple in mine. Others I know add it to a lettuce salad, add other fruits like peaches or pears to it. Hope this helps!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love Breakstone's 2% milkfat small curd cottage cheese with Ocean Spray Craisins (dried cranberries). However I love cottage cheese just by itself.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It's all about the brand really. Some brands make me gag, others make me want to swim in a pool of cottage cheese because I love it so, lol. I usually buy Organic Valley 2%; so yummy! I DO NOT recommend going fat free or even 1%...that stuff be nasty.

Agreed different brands have different tastes, small curd versus large curd (eeewww!!) Full fat (ugh!!!) versus low-fat, all dependent on your own taste buds, but really if you don't like it after trying it then maybe cottage cheese is not your food.
  • foodaddict275
    Options
    Oh I find that buying the cottage cheese doubles is OK . I generally don't like cottage cheese
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've never liked cottage cheese with sweet foods, always go for savory. I often have cottage cheese just with a lot of fresh black pepper (also really good with zaatar.) I'll mix it with salsa or hot sauce for a chip dip. Slice up tomatoes and cucumbers and whatever other veggies you like and mix it in with the cottage cheese and a bit of seasoning.
    If you just really don't like cottage cheese I wouldn't force yourself to eat it. Greek yogurt is similar in protein and calorie counts. There are other foods you can eat to get what you want from cottage cheese.
  • mdarrall
    mdarrall Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So I just tried cottage cheese for the first time with apple slices which was okay at first but eventually it was hard to eat. Any suggestions to make cottage cheese taste better?!

Poor cottage cheese. It gets no respect. :-) It's a great non-flesh protein source with lots of calcium, so it's pretty hard to beat as part of a diet. But yeah...it's got some challenges. You either like it by itself or you don't.

Try the various additives suggested here. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. I like mixing fruit with it, especially canned (in juice or water, not heavy syrup!) peaches. Berries are good - but even then, you might like sweeter berries more than tart ones.

Good luck!