Long distance relationships?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Met my guy at the one place I was definitely not looking.. tinychat. I'd only go in there to draw pictures of people as they sat in their cameras and moved onto the next room upon surprising them with a self portrait they loved.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    The airport giveth; the airport taketh away.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    It won't work. Someone else will come along. He'll betray you or you will betray him.

False.

Often true...I'd say more often than not.
  • ssslasher23
    ssslasher23 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My situation was not exactly like yours, but my boyfriend (now fiancée) of 2 years was moving overseas for work. It really depends on the people involved. They should be both trusting and trustworthy, committed and good communicators. During our LDR time, we had countless fights about really stupid things which were just miscommunications. It's also harder to make up when you can't even see the other person - facetime, calls and texts just aren't the same as physically being there. Despite the hurdles, we successfully made it through 1 year long distance and now are engaged planning to get married soon :) We did, however, have a 2 year relationship to build on. I knew I could trust him and he knew he could trust me, we were committed to each other already. Meeting someone online, I'm not sure how all of that would work, but if you feel it's important to you, go for it!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the OP has figured it all out since this thread is a year old. At least I hope she did.
  • EdinBeau
    EdinBeau Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My husband is military. When we first met, he was on a boat that went out for a few months at a time. Then he went to a school for 6 months. After we got married he got land units for a few years. Now he's back on a boat. He's gone for months at a time. Communication is minimal at best. It's more than doable as long as you're willing TO do it. We've been together for over 10yrs.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It can be done, but not forever. I am married to my long-distance relationship, but it didn't stay long distance for more than a year.