Natural sugars

Options
Foods that contain natural sugars such as grapes . Are they okay to eat while staying in your calorie limit? Like how much is a bad thing ? Do I need to watch sugar intake as a whole ?

Replies

• ricktrill
    ricktrill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars are great, and they're especially needed if you're doing weight training or other rigorous exercise. People tend to look at carbohydrates as bad, but the good carbs such as fruit, brown rice, whole grain bread, etc, are vital for developing muscle. What's truly important is WHEN to eat your carbs. You want to center intake around your workouts so your muscles don't get taxed as much and you'll recover faster. On days that you don't workout, you'll want to keep the carb intake lower, but take in more good fats like avocados, nuts, etc. A good starting point would be 40/40/20: 40% calories from protien, 40% Carbs, 20% good fats. Just keep learning and keep pushing! :smile:
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Give me all the natural sugars... Mmm! It's totally fine to eat them, I eat them mostly every day.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    10ssmith wrote: »
    Foods that contain natural sugars such as grapes . 1)Are they okay to eat while staying in your calorie limit? 2)Like how much is a bad thing ? 3)Do I need to watch sugar intake as a whole ?

1) Yes, as are all sugars. As long as you are within your calorie goal, sugar intake does not matter.
    2) So much that it puts you over your calorie goal.
    3) Newp (excluding issues surrounding diabetes).
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Why don't grape nuts taste like grapes? I limit my fruit and juices.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    With in limit and natural as in fruits, that's fine. Raw or processed sugars always bad no matter what. Not science but my personal guide line.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sure, they are fine. The only thing with sugar is not to eat too much (this is the thing with food as a whole) and not to let it crowd out the other things you need. Foods that naturally contain sugar (like fruits and veg) often contain fiber as well, and that's one of the other things that's good to get, and of course micronutrients. Beyond that, you want a reasonable amount of fat and enough protein, so I'd say just make sure you aren't eating so much you don't go over calories, don't have an overall balanced diet, and are also getting enough protein and healthy fats.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I quit tracking sugar and track fiber instead.

Me too! Fiber for the win!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As long as it doesn't cause you to 1. go over your calories consistently, or 2. take away from other important nutrients (like protein), then I wouldn't stress it.
  • ricktrill
    ricktrill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In all of the years that I've been training, studying and helping people; I've found that giving out long, exhaustive explanations about how and why certain things shouldn't be done, only serves to intimidate them and does more negative than positive. I'm familiar with the information you've provided, but I can only speak from my own personal experiences. I understand that all experiences are different, and different macro and micro nutrients are going to be required for people depending on goals, weight, gender, body type, genetics, etc. This is the reason I kept the explanation short, and provided a sort-of template information for doing something in the immediate while also answering simply that fruit sugars aren't a negative. This is also the reason I included the qualifier "keep learning," because there many schools of thought on this particular subject, and it's important for everyone to find what works for them. :)

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    With in limit and natural as in fruits, that's fine. Raw or processed sugars always bad no matter what. Not science but my personal guide line.

I bolded the important part.
    FYI, the sugar in fruit is sucrose, glucose and fructose. "Raw or processed" sugar is sucrose, glucose and fructose.
    They are the exact same substance, even on the molecular level.
    Neither are bad for you.

Sugar is not bad for you, the soft drink companies will be relieved to hear that. (pushing fresh fruit bowl away and pouring a COKE)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

FYI, the sugar in fruit is sucrose, glucose and fructose. "Raw or processed" sugar is sucrose, glucose and fructose.
    Neither are bad for you.

Sugar is not bad for you, the soft drink companies will be relieved to hear that. (pushing fresh fruit bowl away and pouring a COKE)
    That's not what was said. The sugar in fruit and soda is seen by the body as the same but soda and fruit are not comparable. Soda contains basically no nutrients of any kind while fruit contains vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The sugar in the two does not make the difference, it's everything else you get with the fruit that makes fruit the superior choice in terms of nutrition.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Neither are bad for you.

As long as you get enough protein, fat and fiber without exceeding calories, there is absolutely nothing unhealthy about having sugar, whether from Coke, Mt Dew, Snickers, apples, gummy bears or plums so drink up.

Now go see if you can actually find a single peer reviewed study that shows sugar to be bad for you (assuming you're not diabetic) beyond "sugar has a lot of calories."
    Hint: no such study exists.

Just because a popular opinion has been ingrained into society doesn't make it a fact. (pro tip: picking up a baby bird will not cause the mother to reject it)
    Just because you've always thought of sugar as a bad thing doesn't mean it's actually bad for you.