Ramadan, fasting, MFP, and you. A guide

Options

Replies

• Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Good tips. I don't have the energy to workout full force but I try to walk.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    For me, who doesn't follow any faith, thank you for such an informative post.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed this thread one of the doctors I work for fasts for Ramadan. He is very quiet about it and we are all very respectful about his fast. I am learning many things about Ramadan. Thank you all
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm so enjoying celebrating Ramadan! Don't get me wrong, just like starting a new exercise, like running, there is a LOT of physical discomfort involved. And just like starting a new habit, I'm having to struggle to fit my life and my friends (and their expectations) around my fasting. But the reason for Ramadan is so beautiful and the effectiveness of the fasting is amazing!

I have been praying more in the past eight days than I prayed in the previous eight years. For non-religious folks think of meditating much more often. I've become more centered and I'm very much more epithetic of those who go without food due to their circumstances, and I feel their pain acutely when I'm finally able to enjoy a meal at night. Knowing that there are millions of hungry who don't have that luxury? As I'm drinking my first glass of water after dusk and turned to night, I can feel what a blessing it is to have water I can drink from my tap (even though it's stinky well water). I've been nibbling on two or three dried dates or figs and they taste so amazing as they dissolve in my mouth! Last night I stuffed three dried dates with goat cheese and it was like heaven! How can I enjoy that without thinking of all of God's children who went to bed with nothing to break their fasting?

On three of the nights I've eaten WAY too much, but over all I'm doing well! I drink my water and eat a few dates or figs, then I drink some more water while I put a meal together. Generally I'm having a mixed greens salad with goat cheese and pistachios plus a fresh fruit like strawberries! If you're wondering what's up with all the goat cheese, we have four dairy goats and making chevre is the easiest way to use up any extra milk :) I pour myself a 32 oz. mug of green chai tea, which I take to bed and drink throughout the night until it's just before dawn - then I get up and have a light breakfast of yogurt and fruit or an egg and spinach, plus a cup of coffee. I'm down five pounds!

Thanks EVERYONE who's been helping me out and answering my questions!:flowerforyou:
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    MASHA ALLAH this is a very nice post.. thankyou for posting it :)
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Last year was brutal for me. Ia had to eat breakfast at 4:30 and my next meal was at 8:00pm. I couldn't eat that much because I knew I would be asleep in a few hours. I don't know how anyone does it. I was tired and exhausted, and I couldn't work out at all. I tried swimmig which helped but it is still so difficult when you can't drink water.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem, everyone :-)

I'm not muslim, but I have always wondered about the sunrise to sunset rule, particularly in Northern countries like the UK, or, even worse, Alaska, where you might find yourself facing Ramadan at a time of year where the sun never sets? Surely that rule was set in a country much closer to the equator, where you would not face such extremely long days as one would in a Northern summer. Conversely, if you were very far south this month, you could find yourself in the enviable position of not having to fast at all for Ramadan lol (though I understand that there is a minimum fast period prescribed by Islamic law).

I've always wondered why the hours weren't prescribed as to those applicable at, say, Meccah, for that particular lunar month, then everyone is following the same fast.

English is not my first language,,can u explain what you want to ask ? :smile:
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bumping for Ramadan 2014. Salaam alaykum, all! :flowerforyou: We have less than 4 weeks to go. How is everyone preparing? I've been eating less during the day so the hunger isn't such a shock to my system. My workouts are on hold, though I may take a brisk walk after sunset each night. I think Muslims are the only people on Earth who get excited about NOT eating. :laugh: It will be an amazing month, insha'Allah (God willing).
  • sissitje
    sissitje Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem to you in advance Meryem!
    I also try to lower my calorie intake the last weeks before Ramadan so that my body starts to be used to it :-)
    I don't think I'm going to eat all those yummy traditional Moroccan dishes and specialties lol If I ate just 2 spring roll with chicken I would be at 1200 kcal!
  • nsala86
    nsala86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem!
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to this great experience!
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    just over two weeks to go :) i'm looking forward to Ramadhan.
    dont think i will be working out at all though as here in the UK the fast will be lasting 20 hours this year!
    i'd be happy to maintain, not going to worry too much about having a weight loss every week.
    Ramadhan Mubarak everyone
  • NazishSKhan
    NazishSKhan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Excited for approaching Ramadan! I am double minded about how I'll incorporate my workout. My usual routine is working out in the morning before I eat anything. But after working out I do drink plenty of water. I've tried working out in the evenings and I hated it. In terms of calories I'm going to try to save most of them for I fari since we are so tempted with calorie-rich foods. Let's see how the first few days go!
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem to you in advance Meryem!
    I also try to lower my calorie intake the last weeks before Ramadan so that my body starts to be used to it :-)
    I don't think I'm going to eat all those yummy traditional Moroccan dishes and specialties lol If I ate just 2 spring roll with chicken I would be at 1200 kcal!

Thanks and same to you! I've REALLY dropped my calories in preparation, so if I start losing too much weight, I may have to stop fasting and donate to the poor instead. I'm the type of person who doesn't gorge themselves at iftar, by that point I've lost my appetite. I don't have much weight to lose so I tend to get very sickly very quickly. :frown: I'm going to try my best though, isA, planning some high calorie meals. Sounds like you have a good plan! :bigsmile:

Best wishes to all those practicing. Please join the MFP Muslims group for more discussion if you haven't already. :heart:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/2543-mfp-muslims
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Scary

You posted that in the other thread about Ramadan too.

How on earth is it scary for good dietary advice to be given about a religious practice?

No different to people posting about giving up foods for Lent, for example.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Scary

This is your second "Scary" comment in regard to fasting for Ramadan. I'm not sure what you think is scary, but I hope you can get over your fear. We DO eat after dusk and before dawn, and anytime in between those night hours. We don't starve ourselves for an entire month. A little education can go very far. :flowerforyou:
  • Ezzmie
    Ezzmie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Was just worrying about how to balance MFP with Ramadan these tips will help.
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Cannot wait for Ramadan to come! We're almost there guys!