• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great post.
    Excited for Ramadan! Less than 10 days to go by God's will. May Allah accept our good deeds and help us become better people. And may all those who suffer around the world be relieved.
    I think Muslims are the only people on Earth who get excited about NOT eating. :laugh:
    So True! :laugh:
    There is a fluttering in the heart, a feeling of nearness to God, and overwhelming peace that you cannot explain.

My challenge would be to NOT exceed my daily caloric needs. Especially that most meals are mostly carbs. Why do all the traditional Ramadan foods have to be high-carb-fat-drenched-mouth-watering-unbelievably-yummy things? :sad: And my family are not big on heavy sugary and fattening stuff.

With my caloric intake being set at 1200 calories, it's not very easy. But what I try to do is break my fast with dates and Arabic coffee, water, and maybe low-fat laban (buttermilk-yum!). At this time a dessert is presented too. I allow myself one small piece if I must. After Maghrib, is when the soup, samosas and pastries are presented. I would stay away from the food and ask myself am I really hungry? If yes, I'll take some of the soup, laban or fruits. Put a piece of my favorite pastries in a container for later. If I'm not hungry (as I have found myself frequently not to be), I would read Quran.
    After Tarawih, would be the time to work out. I usually jog/walk for 30 minutes, 3 times a week. After that, the soup and pastries, (juice?) hopefully a salad and maybe a taste of the second type of dessert?! Suhoor is usually light. I find that it makes me thirsty the next day only if it was something heavy, fried, or salty. When I'm cooking, I try to make things I don't absolutely love but my family do (less temptation!). I probably get 2 hours of sleep anytime at night, and the rest after sunrise. Not healthy I know, but makes fasting in a 50-degree desert easier. With this plan, I might lose a kilo during Ramadan.

I feel for the people in the northern parts who will fast 20+ hours. And those who have nothing to break their fast at all on. And those stuck in war zones. May God be with All.

Sorry for the long post! Hope it helps someone :)
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Kareem, everyone :-)

I'm not muslim, but I have always wondered about the sunrise to sunset rule, particularly in Northern countries like the UK, or, even worse, Alaska, where you might find yourself facing Ramadan at a time of year where the sun never sets? Surely that rule was set in a country much closer to the equator, where you would not face such extremely long days as one would in a Northern summer. Conversely, if you were very far south this month, you could find yourself in the enviable position of not having to fast at all for Ramadan lol (though I understand that there is a minimum fast period prescribed by Islamic law).

I've always wondered why the hours weren't prescribed as to those applicable at, say, Meccah, for that particular lunar month, then everyone is following the same fast.

I'm not Muslim, but I lived in Sweden for a while and I remember hearing that muslims living in the north where there is no darkness (or only an hour or two) at Ramadan follow the daylight hours for either a southern Swedish city, somewhere else in Europe, or Mecca - it seemed that there was no set rule, but people chose to do what felt right for them.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    a co-worker practices this every year. He told me that his friends and family usually gain weight during this month because they felt the need to compensate during the eating window, by eating lot high fat high calorie food...
  • NadiaGH
    NadiaGH Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OP, great post, thanks!
    Looking forward to it... and really gonna try sticking to LOGGING even if I'm skipping the hydration and workouts.
  • spiderweb12
    Options
    super helpful post, thanks OP! freezing my gym membership for a month as I know I wont go but will aim to do some bodyweight training half hour before iftar, hopefully that will be enough! does anyone have any good sehri ideas that are low GI?
  • boxfitliftmo
    boxfitliftmo Posts: 261
    Options
    A really good post here, informative!

Personally I live on my own, so monday to friday I have the following notions in terms of exercise and eating.

I plan to either walk, play some tennis, or kick a football about with a friend after Asar for about 30 mins or so.
    Or somedays try at home workouts after a small meal of dates and banana after magrib.

In terms of meals, for sehri I will most likely opt for overnight oats with varying flavours/combinations, or a smoothie consisting of chia seeds, maca, strawberries, banana, oats and milk.

Iftari I will opt for dates and fruit to open the fast. Let that digest for 30 mins to an hour, then eat a balanced meal (No fried food unless i'm staying with family over the weekend).

Thought i'd put this out there, I may log just to show what I eat during Ramadan... after a few of the people above mentioned it.

Please feel free to add me as it would be awesome to support one another.
  • boxfitliftmo
    boxfitliftmo Posts: 261
    Options
    just over two weeks to go :) i'm looking forward to Ramadhan.
    dont think i will be working out at all though as here in the UK the fast will be lasting 20 hours this year!
    i'd be happy to maintain, not going to worry too much about having a weight loss every week.
    Ramadhan Mubarak everyone

I hear you about working out. I usually walk in Ramadan, or do some jobs around the house.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    As-salamu alaykum,

Fantastic post..... I believe Ramadan starts on the 27th of June here in the UK - I work for Muslims and it is a very interesting time, although I'm not Muslim, but I do have a great interest in world religions and faiths, I love learning from the lads at work.

So I'd just like to say Ramadan Mubarak to everyone

xXx
  • shopno14
    shopno14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks for such a great post :)
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Bump cuz this is a great post
    Ramadan Mubarak brothers and sisters, only a few days left inshallah!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No sex?!
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No sex?!

you cant have sex during the daytime while you are fasting, it is allowed during the night when your fast is broken
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Seriously? No sex?!

you cant have sex during the daytime while you are fasting, it is allowed during the night when your fast is broken

OH. That makes a lot more sense, I was gonna say, damn.
  • SammieDQ37
    SammieDQ37 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for this post. This will be my first Ramadan, Insha Allah and I am very worried. My anxiety has kicked into overdrive. This post has helped me to calm down.
  • abashir525
    abashir525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Mubarak to everyone! Great post! I haven't been able to fast in the past 4 years and I won't be able to this year either (due to breastfeeding) but I will be doing lots and lots of cooking for my family who is participating! I hope everyone stays healthy this blessed month and continues to meet their goals!
  • quratulainsalman
    quratulainsalman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OMG. a loud big thank you for this post!!!
  • quratulainsalman
    quratulainsalman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    and Ramadan mubarak, you guys! let the fasting commence from tomorrow! :D
  • NadaHamade
    NadaHamade Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post!!! :) This is going to be so helpful for Ramadan!