Stop that snacking

Options

Replies

• haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm with the OP. Many times, a glass of water will actually tide me over nicely. I drink one, then wait at least 20 minutes. If I'm still hungry, then I eat. More times than not, I don't need to.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I just factor in calories for snack/s when I pre-log in the morning.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    If I drink a glass of water before a meal, it helps me feel full faster, but for me, I can not replace water for a snack. My whole thing is about chewing. I rarely drink anything with calories.
    May work for some though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP, you will learn quickly how this process in the forums works! I see you have not come back to post anything else, so don't fret. We were all newbies at one point when we joined.

Read in the forums before you post and see if there is already something that exists on your topic and even read other threads just see how folks respond.

Nothing wrong with water drinking during the day it is encouraged. But a lot of MFPer's prelog for the day and that snack is already accounted for. Also drinking water does not fill you up except for the first few minutes and perhaps if your stomach is growling, water is what it really needs instead of the snack.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Snacks make my world go round! I like to eat every couple of hours (as well as chugging water). Water for me just delays the inevitable by 15 minutes or so :)
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've found it doesn't work for me, but It can't hurt to rule out thirst.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I HAVE noticed that drinking more water helps me snack LESS. I got a cute Contigo water bottle that I enjoy drinking out of, and a whole bunch of Mio flavours that I switch up all day, and I get less peckish if I commit to drinking 750ml 3-4 times a day. It tastes like juice, which satisfies me more than plain water.

That said, I still need to snack. I factor in at least 3 snacks a day, and if I'm hungry and it won't stop, I eat another little thing. Like a cheese string or a piece of lean lunch meat. Like others in this thread, I'd rather go a tiny bit over than be uncomfortable and hungry.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have some wiggle room. I eat 1400-1600 to lose 1.5 lbs a week. I can go up to 1800 and still lose a pound if I feel extra hungry, or want to go out for drinks :).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    mkmoen0 wrote: »
    If you feel like snacking drink a big glass of water! Makes you feel full until next meal. Great for times when you don't think you will make you calorie count.

Doesn't work for me. I need to periodically fast 12-18+ hours for my diabetes (a process called basal testing. Basal insulin is meant to match the amount of glucose the liver "spits out" during a period of time while in a fasting state. The entire process is hell but needs to be done if I want the most flexibility out of insulin pump therapy... which reminds me that I'm due to a new round of basal testing), and water makes me hungrier. What works best for me is sugar-free jello (high volume food that won't mess up the basal test because it doesn't contain carbs, fat, or an excessive amount of protein) and diet soda (the carbonation helps settle my stomach when I'm hungry).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I'll just feel sloshy AND hungry.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Drinking water when I'm hungry only helps a bit if I was dehydrated instead.

Which happens, like, never. ;)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    when i drink lots of water when i'm hungry, it makes my stomach hurt a little. if i get hungry, i have a non-fat greek yogurt or half a quest bar.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure cutting out all the snacks is a good thing. It helps boost your metabolism to have little meals 5 times a day. My breakfast and lunch average 200 calories a meal, and my dinner is USUALLY under 400 calories. (I know it's better to eat bigger at breakfast and lighter at dinner but it doesn't work with my lifestyle) Then I have evening snacks which is usually up to 400 cals as well. Sometimes I need other snacks to get me to the next meal, then I just add a workout to my day. That or I have to cut out my glass of wine that night or reduce my pretzels.

The important thing is to budget your day. If you have a standard snack you always have, budget it in. If you are going to have trouble to meet your goal, add in a 10 minute workout. (say a fast walk around the block, or ride your bike to the store to pick up what you need for dinner) Lets not take the fun out of losing weight.

I say, eat what you like, just budget for it.

Nope. This is a myth.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I first wake up in the AM, I feel hungry, but am actually thirsty, as the feeling goes away after I've had tea until after I've had a bowel movement, at which time I am hungry for real.

If I'm hungry 45 minutes before a meal, I can pacify my stomach with 16 ounces of liquid.

However, under no circumstances would I use water to try to eliminate my planned bedtime snack.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I drink water for the health benefits.

I snack when I know I am hungry but my meal is a couple hours away...

or

when I have calories to use up. Like yesterday...chips and chocolate and a cookie
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I personally save calories for snacks, because I know I'm going to do it. Know yourself/your eating habits and fit them in if you need to...
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I get supremely, irrationally annoyed by the whole idea of snacking, and I could not even tell you why. Even the word just sounds gross to me. Snack. Snack. Snack. It's the ugliest word. I get the same fingernails-on-a-chalkboard sensation hearing or reading it that a lot of people get from the word "moist." Like, it's simultaneously harsh on the ear and puerile in concept.

Yes, everyone needed to know that.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lol...nah. Water does nothing for me. I incorporate 2 snack sessions into my day and am happy that way.