I think my scale is always wrong.

Options
124»

Replies

• angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why anyone would step on the scale a second time after weighing once? I don't even know if my scale would give 2 consecutive readings, because I assume the 1st reading it gives me is right.

I learnt during my science practicals at school to measure several times and take the average. No measurement is 100% accurate. I usually just hop on the scales once, unless the reading isn't what I expected, but it's not madness to measure repeatedly, it's good scientific practice.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I wish my town had a battery store.

Batteries Plus is in quite a few towns and cities. Without that amazon is your friend
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Try weighing something you know the weight of. Like dumbbells if you have them. If that's not consistent, you may need to change the batteries, though from what I've noticed, they tend to last 10+ years.

Good idea
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    Options
    Most scales that are "accurate" and don't show you different numbers every time you step on them are lying and are just soothing your mental hamsters.

The manufacturer just sets a change detection threshold below which the scale just shows you the same number again and again till you give up satisfied about your new reliable and accurate scale.

The reason is that the technology is... well... cheap :smile: Your scale has one to four force detection sensors that convert the mechanical flex they experience to electrical pulses which are sampled by the scale and as long as several fall within a pre-defined variance the number is taken as accurate and displayed.

But anything that changes the degree of flex of the force sensors (such as movement, shaking, vibration, crappy material with its own flex transmitting the force from the front of the scale to the back or from side to side) changes the readings.

In any case... the truth is what was said earlier... this is just a sample of what your weight might be. And even more so, your weight today could be influenced by water weight so much so that it may not even be fully representative of your actual weight level.

So what's a person to do? Weight daily under the same conditions. plug the numbers in a weight trend program or app (trendweight, weightgrapher, libra, happy scale), and motor along happily :smile:

And in my opinion you would be better off with one of the "I can't get your weight right twice" scales. At least they are giving you their true reading EVERY time you step on them. The ones that are steady eddies? They are lying!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself only once!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    I'm wondering why anyone would step on the scale a second time after weighing once? I don't even know if my scale would give 2 consecutive readings, because I assume the 1st reading it gives me is right.

Maybe I forgot the number before I could enter it into the app. Maybe I wanted to test it with and without clothes. Maybe I realized it was slightly crooked on the tiles and wanted to know the surface was flat. Maybe I wanted to make sure that my scale was sure about what it was saying, and clearly it wasn't, so maybe you should test yours too.

I wasn't being ugly...I seriously haven't ever even thought about stepping on twice, but you bet I'll be checking mine in the morning...lol
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I move my Tanita scale, "zero" it, get a weight, step off, "re-zero", get weight, step off, "re-zero" get weight, take lowest of three weights, call it a day. Difference may be half a pound but 224.5 is still less than 225.

The part that really fluctuates is the body fat estimation. After a shower, when my feet are wet, the number can be 10 points less, so I don't count that one.

It's all about a trend anyway, so one weight being off doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things.

I agree change batteries. Sunbeam CR2032 batteries 2/$1.00 at Dollar Tree.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Gosh I store my scale in a cupboard and move it out every morning. I've never even thought to recalibrate it or stepping on it 2 or 3 times in a row. I shall be testing this out tomorrow morning :anguished:
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I tested mine this morning:) It was the same all 3 times, but after this convo I'll be checking it from time to time;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tested mine this morning:) It was the same all 3 times, but after this convo I'll be checking it from time to time;)

Yep, same here. The exact same weight 3 times in a row.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I have heard (I cannot confirm, nor deny) that many scales have a memory, so they will give the same reading if you step off and then back on again right away, unless there is a significant difference as would be expected with two different people.