May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    3 more miles this morning (10:21 9:33 9:05) pretty much flat. 57F with 88% humidity. Soaked in sweat again. The humidity not only makes my already excessive sweating worse, but gives me asthma issues and I start to cough up mucus. I wind up doing most of summer running at 8pm bc I find the humidity is lower in the evening.

@CChen8520 I can see where suddenly having to turn corners would be challenging!

@juliet3455 Scary pic! No bears here. Usually. I've seen a coyote walking through my neighborhood though - was in my car thankfully.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44
    4/8-3.11
    4/9-REST much needed REST
    4/10- 5.1
    4/11-4.1
    5/12- 5.11
    5/13- Rest
    5/14- 10.02
    5/15- 4.1
    5/16- Rest
    5/17- 4.19
    5/18-Crosstraining- I hate Crosstraining
    5/19- 5.41<- cruise interval workout
    5/21- 7.31
    5/22- 5.01

Total: 79.65/100

Notes on today's run: I was a bad boy. Today's assignment was to run 30-45 at E. After I cut yesterday's run short to ensure I keep my LR under 35% WM, I decided I wanted to make up for that today. I ran an extra 7 minutes today, just to get my run time up to the weekly requirement. Did 5 miles in 51:49 for a 10:20 average on a new route on a path outside of town. Very nice path, but pretty flat, flatter than I want for most of my running, but a nice place to run nonetheless.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    All this talk of dirty running clothes - but having just finished a laundry load of all running clothes, I'm thinking: is there any better feeling than having a fresh and full gym bag with choices (between virtually identical shorts and running tanks, mind you - but still, choices) and multiple pairs of matching, clean socks? Bliss! Happy running today, peeps!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    If I'd realized that just wearing dirty running clothes was an option, maybe I wouldn't have such a large running wardrobe . . . cue the wayback machine.

When I set out to become a runner in 2011, I got sticker shock looking at the clothes at Fleet Feet. I listened to the talk about what to wear in cold weather, and bought stuff at Walmart. I made some mistakes, but when I can buy 4 pair of tights at Walmart for what 1 pair would cost at Fleet Feet, I can afford a few mistakes. I initially bought enough so I'd only have to do laundry once a week.

Over time, the pricier and higher quality stuff has found its way into my wardrobe. This didn't happen until *after* I solved the problem of stinky shirts; the solution I found was to wash the shirts inside out and use distilled white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser. In my old mid-1990s washer, I used a quarter cup of vinegar. In my vintage 2014 front loader, I just fill the fabric softener input to the full line, which is less than a quarter cup. This not only prevents objectionable odor, it has taken the old odor out of some shirts that accumulated it before I learned this trick. (Disclaimer: I am male. A woman with a more sensitive nose might detect odors that I don't.)

The weak link in my laundry routine is accessories. My collection of winter hats and gloves is more geared toward covering different weather conditions than using one hat or one pair of gloves per day, I have only one neck gaiter, and until recently I didn't have enough summer weight hats. I rinse the hats and neck gaiter immediately after my run, and set them out to dry on a wooden rack with a fan pointed at it. I'm *almost* to the point where I could just dump the summer weight hats into the laundry after I rinse them, but I really need to re-use the gloves and the winter weight hats.

Of course, I have plenty of tech tees from races. I'm about to the point where I have enough long sleeve tech tees to last a week at one use per shirt. I still need to get 2 runs out of my good wind shell jackets, but they're never next to my skin so they get dirty more slowly. Tights and shorts, I never re-wear dirty even if I have to do a load of running clothes sooner than I'd like.

Maybe I'm not cut out to be a trail runner.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    After my run yesterday my Achilles woke up. No real pain but it swelled up enough that I noticed. With that in mind I'm skipping tomorrow's trail run and will save it for my 10k trail race Wednesday (which I plan on taking easy). Perhaps the July 2nd ultra is too soon. I had thought I might parlay my marathon training into ultra training. We'll just have to see how it goes in the next couple of weeks.

My son's soccer team ended up first in the pool. Bracket play today. In the last game my son, the goalkeeper, had an assist on a punt that landed right on the edge of the 18 yard box. Damn that kid has a leg!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Regarding the laundry discussion: I'm with @louubelle16 on this one: if I have to hold it to my nose to check for smell after pulling it out of the laundry hamper, it's fair game!
    I've got enough shirts, socks and shorts are more of an issue. But then, I usually don't meet that many people on my runs that bend down to sniff my butt or feet, so if it passes the "no smell noticeable from 20cm away" check, I don't have too many qualms about re-wearing stuff.
    Especially since right now, I only have one pair of shorts that I really like. I have a few which are okay, but one which I really love, so I often end up wearing that one twice, tossing it into the washer's 15-minute-cycle midweek along with some other running stuff, wear it again and treat it to a full wash on the weekend, when I have time for that kind of stuff.

Never had any problems with things still smelling after being washed. Over the years, I think I've had maybe 2 shirts that would really smell after a run - as in, I'd hang them in the bathroom after a run to dry, and next time I'd walk in, I'd have to pinch my nose and yank open the window. None of my other shirts ever even come close to smelling like that, so I decided there was something wrong with the smelly ones and stopped using them.

@kristinegift Great that you have your love for running back! Those hill repeats sound insane :-p

@greenolivetree Nice new running shoes :) And the pic from your rain run is beautiful.

@EvgeniZyntx Lol, I like the dog shaming website, it's hilarious!

@Stoshew71 Thanks for the heat running links! I'm going to miss spring, but I guess it's time to admit that summer is coming...

@kimlight2 Congratulations on finishing your 5k! Sounds like it was a tough one with the heat.

@WhatMeRunning That's some sweet elevation gain, not bad!

@juliet3455 That paw print is scary! I'm glad we don't have any bears around, I wouldn't want to meet one on the trail.

@DrLauraDVM16 Great job on running those 10 miles - with more than a week to go in May, I'm sure you'll hit your goal no problem!

@shanaber Sorry to hear about the stress at work and your husbands job. I hope you have a lovely wine tasting weekend to cheer you up!

@PoppetsMaster What are you talking about - there is clearly a trail there. You just can't see it because it's hidden by the grass :p
    Had to think of your trail during my race today and snap a picture, as there was a stretch of grassy trail too. By the time I got to it, it was already trampled flat by a hundred other runners, but I'm not sure how the people in front decided where the course was. There was a volunteer in a fluo yellow vest at the top of the hill, I guess they just headed in his general direction.
    grce3dg0w6rg.jpg

Ha, and now I believe I'm finally caught up on the last couple of days. Hard work keeping up with this thread ^^
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    6 easy paced miles to round out the down/recovery week. Tomorrow I start 3 weeks at 54 mpw which will be the highest weekly mileage territory I've ever been in (only by 2 miles though).

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 10.5 miles
    5/8 - 10.5 miles
    5/9 - 6 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 10 miles
    5/12 - 6 miles
    5/13 - Rest
    5/14 - 13.1 miles
    5/15 - 4 miles
    5/16 - 6 miles
    5/17 - 6 miles
    5/18 - 6 miles
    5/19 - 6 miles
    5/20 - Rest
    5/21 - 6 miles
    5/22 - 6 miles

142.2/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 but was only 12.5 miles
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    7/23 - Psycho Summer Run Toto Run 50k (Kansas City, KS)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    May 11-18 - Rest & lost runs. Zero point zero.
    May 19 - 8.1 km fast. Two PRs
    May 20 - 8.3 km.
    May 21 - 30 km Mountain Bike. No run.

Total 78.4 km goal 120 km.

Still need to get today's run in. Might be a rest day, the cycling was rough and my back was very tight this morning.
    I attended a friend's first sprint triathlon this morning and we discussed plans and activities. An Iron Man half was mentioned along the way and I've been eyeing the local pool, now that the season is open. Tri's.
    Looks like that might be a thing now. *Bitten*
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Tuesday's assignment is 70-80 minutes at E. Here's my plan for it: https://www.strava.com/routes/5087646

Not so sure about the Easy part, but it should get my required time.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @whatmerunning You're going to start giving @kristinegift and @stoshew71 a run for their money with how you're ramping things up
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Great runs on both 10ks!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm glad I'm not the only one who wears the same clothes for all my runs each week! Hope the running is going good!

@mnlittlefinn There has been so much going on with home and work I haven't been running as much as I want but I'm hanging in there. I see you are doing great.

@shanaber I throw them over the door and let them drive. Or course right night it's long sleeve one day, short the next, tank the next and repeat LOL

I do find that certain race shirts smell, every year the shirts from the Galaxy of Lights smell to me. It's whatever the screen print is that gets me, if it's sweaty it's even worse. @stoshew71 smell Jenn's and let me know what you think. I don't small it as much on Skip's.

@_nikkiwolf_ fantastic second 10K of the weekend.

@juliet3455 yipes!

Crazy busy day today so I'm going to try to run tonight. Skip went with a friend to Six Flag over GA yesterday so I had to drive her to meet them in Birmingham (90 miles South of me), then I drove home, the last night picked her up in Birmingham at 11:00 so we got home really late. By the time I got to be I was up almost 24 hours. Way too much time in my truck.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    May 11-18 - Rest & lost runs. Zero point zero.
    May 19 - 8.1 km fast. Two PRs
    May 20 - 8.3 km.
    May 21 - 30 km Mountain Bike. No run.
    May 22 - 12 km slow, a little walking.

Total 90.4 km goal 120 km.

Oh, well. Did the run and I might regret it. My hip was locking up on the steps up. I'll stretch it and see if that goes away. Tomorrow is a rest day anyway.

I got lost today, so I ended up discovering some new forest trails and rolling hill area. Definitely going to have to incorporate it into my runs. I've been drinking a few beers these last days and I'm unfortunately going to have to slow that down - I end up dehydrated and feel the onset of cramps - none today, but just the edge of the promise of that particular pleasure.

Mmmmh, but I still have a few Kwak beers in my stash. Maybe a banana and beer smoothie?

@_nikkiwolf_ great second 10k!

As to clothes, I've probably got too many tech shirts, race and cycling stuff. I buy Falco running socks when they are on sale at the local outlet store, so even there I'm not short. Now if I could only find my cycling gloves... and that other pair of road shoes...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Today was the long run. Planned was 8 km with stopping if indicated by weird pains. All in all I did 10 km but I walked at least one cause I was constantly stopping either to look around and take pictures and once I heard a bark and a dog came at me. Stopped about 10 meters from me and looked aggressive, but luckily as they say, the dog that barks doesn't bite so I just went around it. It was a guard dog so It was just protecting his home.

Went off road on old communist roads today. On a site where there used to be second largest factory in the country. A gigantic steel mill back in the 1980's. My mom and dad both worked there when they were young. Now it's mostly a phantom field, with just a few ruined buildings left. The river you see is artificial, it was made so that ships could load directly from the mill. You don't see this kind of things around here anymore. The whole site can be seen on gmaps. It's bigger than half the city (https://www.google.ro/maps/place/Siderca,+DN3,+Călărași/@44.2023105,27.3361272,10966m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x40b0232b9e6981cf:0x896978ad536976fb!8m2!3d44.2239211!4d27.3018837?hl=en) Siderca is where it was you can see some ruins

Here are some pictures
    ci0j9ei9y86m.jpg
    r80c07am0t79.jpg
    bbhd6w7w9c68.jpg

And what it looked about 10 years ago before it was mostly demolished
    Calarasi_combinat.jpg

And the wiki page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Călărași_steel_works

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km
    May 08 - 5.8 km
    May 09 - 4.1 km
    May 10 - rest
    May 11 - 5 km
    May 12 - 4.1 km
    May 13 - restss
    May 14 - 7.5 km split in 2 parts but it still counts
    May 15 - 5.7 km
    May 16 - rest
    May 17 - 5+1.4 km
    May 18 - 6 km
    May 19 - 5.8 km
    May 20 - rest
    May 21 - 7.2 km
    May 22 - 10 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 mi
    5/4 - 2 mi
    5/7 - 2 mi
    5/8 - 2 mi
    5/9 - 2 mi
    5/13- 2mi
    5/15- 1mi
    5/17- 1 mi
    5/20- 3mi
    5/22- 3mi

20 down 10 to go.

Neeko and I had a fantastic run in the park today, it was mid 60's and no humidity. Did my Week 6 day 1 run and it felt so much better than Friday. I had a small breathing issue in the first interval that I could feel coming on in the warm up but I was able to control it without walking so that was nice. I think I get to stressed about what the plan is that I almost panic and start breathing really shallow and can't catch my breath. Even if I walk it takes me a little while to relax and catch my breath again. I just need to learn the world isn't going to end if I need a walk break or need to slow down even more. On the plus side I added an extra 5 minute run on to the end and still felt good. On the minus side we had 2 dogs charge at us but they were on leashes attached to their owners so it wasn't to bad and Neeko listened well and didn't reciprocate the aggression. One dog I have seen before and I know is aggressive so we moved of the path and did a sit/stay until he passed (pitching a fit the whole way). The second was fixated on us so I did the same thing only the stupid owner walked up us off the path to let his dog "say hi" and I wasn't paying attention so shame on me. His dog charged us but I was able to move us out of the way and avoid an incident then got out of there. Stupid people.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - I think I would quit running outside if I saw bear tracks.

@AdrianChr92 - very cool pictures and great history. Thank you for sharing.

@_nikkiwolf_ - Great job! I love the pictures. That is so cool to start in one country and continue in another.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Mathsrunner That's awesome!