5/16 - 4m

5/17 - 6m
    5/18 - 7m ****breaking in new shoes: Asics Gel Nimbus 17s
    5/19 - weights
    5/20 - 6m [/i]
    5/21 - 12m :DB) **new personal distance record

Distance to date: 88.5m
    Goal: 126m (70.2% complete)

Learned a few things about my body from today's run.
    1) After 10 miles, my energy level is gone, so I'll need to refuel at about mile 6 or 7 to sustain me during my half marathon in 2 weeks. I bought an electrolyte packet today for it too.
    2) I sweat a ton and now my butt is chapped. :blush:

Training Plan (in case anyone is interested)
    coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats @MLS1582 on being in range of the century mark!

Congrats @Lord007 on the new distance PR! If you still feel slower/shuffling after adding in some extra calories you might just need to add some core work to build up strength/endurance there to support those long runs.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Congrats @Lord007 on the new distance PR! If you still feel slower/shuffling after adding in some extra calories you might just need to add some core work to build up strength/endurance there to support those long runs.[/quote]
    I typically run on an empty stomach.. I don't want anything heavy sloshing around. I'll just need to have something at about the midpoint to fuel me through the last half.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @mls1582 Nice job so far and you can definitely do 100!

@lord007 I hope your butt feels better :D

@shanaber Pretty pics :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I have 6 different alarms on my phone...to account for wake up times for various run and nonrun days
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    What the hell, @whatmerunning!?!? Don't tell me that you've never pulled out dirty, crusty, stinky running clothes out of the dirty laundry and worn them before because you couldn't find anything clean! I've done that more than I would admit to normal folks. I've even done that with my favorite short tights before, which I wear without anything underneath.

Perhaps I misjudged you...

I wear the same thing to run all week long, Skip complains when I get home but I don't care what she thinks LOL

I have to find my mileage listing but

5/20 - 5 miles with Skip
    5/21 - life day

I can't recall where I'm at mileage wise I need to check tomorrow probably 60 or 65 of 100

@shanaber sorry to hear about hubby's job that truly sucks

@_nikkiwolf_ sounds like it was a hot one, congrats on the PR woohoo!!!!

@poppetsmaster I hate to disclose what I have too, probably 30 shirts, 15 tights and 7 pairs of shorts along with 20 pairs of socks LOL
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ran a new section of the North Country Trail today.... I do not know how they justify calling this a trail. I say it is just grass with some blue ribbons to aim for... and of course it was raining....
    So when I finally exited the grass, I was greeted by mud and puddles... glorious... lol

@PoppetsMaster The positive, there was Mud, there were ribbons and they weren't Green Ribbons. I had a winter run where they had painted arrows on the snow bank - good until it started snowing and covered them up. And what fool used yellow paint?
    Oh and it seems I found a local running group. A guy approached me while running and said I should come Saturday morning cause they are doing 5k. They are new but I can't wait to join them. Small city and too few runners.
    Well shirts aren't a problem. If you do a few races you will have a lot of them anyway. Shorts are more of a problem. I need at least 3 pairs. They should start to add shorts to race kits :))

@AdrianChr92 Glad you found a local running group. FB says we have about 150 members in our local club - realistically there are only about 20 that come out regularly ( at least once a week ), normal crowd is 6-8 people.
    I like the idea of Shorts for Race Kit Bling - Might have to Throw that out to a local store that organizes at least 1/2 of the events. Between Buying a couple of shirts I really liked and race kit I don't need tops, just more shorts and winter tights.

Two of My Running Club Friends were out for a Trail Run in the Muddy Hills and found this74odu94tcgby.jpg

Yes that is a Bear Paw Print, and a very Healthy one by the size of the print.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm glad I'm not the only one who wears the same clothes for all my runs each week! Hope the running is going good!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @lord007 Congrats on the distance PR!

@_nikkiwolf_ Great race recap. Congrats on the PR for the 10k.

Question for the more seasoned runners, I am read Jeff Galloway's Running A Year Round Plan, and he talks about walk breaks during your runs and that there is no reason to stop using them. How many people use walk breaks in the manner he describes? My understanding of the Couch to 5k plan is to be able to run 5k without walk breaks. Is one plan better than the other? If I need a walk break every mile or so, is that a bad thing? Please help. I am confused.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 - I've never tried the Galloway method but there are always some people who do at all races I have been to. You can tell because their app makes a recognizable beep pattern when they are supposed to alternate between walking and running. I have been in races where I was running consistently and have kept up, passed, or been passed by them depending on how I perform that day overall. They keep a steady pace overall.

I have used walking intervals though with pacer groups and found them helpful at my first few halfs and my first full. Typically they run a mile or two then walk for 30 seconds to a minute, and walk through all aid stations. It works well.

Once I was able to run halfs all the way through I pretty much gave up on that, and would do the same if I run an entire full too. I consider it part of developing as a long distance runner.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just 7 miles split between a treadmill & the rainy outdoors this afternoon before catching up with my folks over dinner. Meeting a friend for a long-ish run in the AM before eating brunch with the parents as they head out of town. My usual Sunday morning group has shrunk, as one guy just wrapped up the New England challenge (knocking out 5 marathons in 5 days - all in under 4 hours, and one in 3:07), and another is on the disabled list until Tuesday.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25 - 7:11/mile, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles
    5/12 - 2 miles
    5/13 - 4.5 miles
    5/14 - 6 miles
    5/15 - 3 miles
    5/17 - 11 miles
    5/18 - 10 miles
    5/19 - 11 miles
    5/20 - 2.5 miles
    5/21 - 7 miles

Total: 113 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 67 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@_nikkiwolf_ - Congrads on the 10K PR. If you can do it in that sort of weather, you'll be crushing the 10K distance at more reasonable weather in the fall!

@mnlittlefinn - Re laundry - I've been picking up running clothing over time as I've taken off weight, so when I run low, I just revert to my oversized L/XL shirts & shorts (with tightened drawstrings) - which gets me through about a dozen runs up north or back in Florida (as I keep clothes in both spots) between laundry sessions. I always wash on hot w. tide/bounce sheets and despite 2 weeks of sitting around, I haven't had any odor problems. Still, last winter, I came across a black friday deal for $13 nike dri-fit shirts, and $6 adidas 5" running shorts so I stocked up on enough of both to get me through that length of time. For socks, the $12 per 6-pack adidas compression models from costco work pretty well, although some friends aren't as big of a fan of the lines of compression padding on the bottom of the sole.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @juliet3455 I've seen prints like that when out running. The scarier ones are prints that look nearly that big, but they are from wolves.....
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    @lord007 Congrats on the distance PR!

@_nikkiwolf_ Great race recap. Congrats on the PR for the 10k.

Question for the more seasoned runners, I am read Jeff Galloway's Running A Year Round Plan, and he talks about walk breaks during your runs and that there is no reason to stop using them. How many people use walk breaks in the manner he describes? My understanding of the Couch to 5k plan is to be able to run 5k without walk breaks. Is one plan better than the other? If I need a walk break every mile or so, is that a bad thing? Please help. I am confused.

Got to chat with Jeff at a pre-marathon expo a few years back. He mentioned that folks up to 3:30ish marathoners even used the method, although I'm curious how a person would average 8 minute miles with walk breaks. Haven't spotted Galloway method users on full/half courses at speeds under 9 minutes/mile though, I did see a handful at my first marathon (in the 10/mile pace range). Just need to look out for them on crowded courses as they'll often suddenly stop (and need to be run around if they don't move to the side first).
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May Goal: Run just a scootch more than last month...

5/1 deep mucking of the chicken coop and environs
    5/2 4.0
    5/3 life day
    5/4 7.54
    5/5 snorkel 3.5hours
    5/6 3.21
    5/7 4.05
    5/8 rest
    5/9 4.05
    5/10 meh
    5/11 4.54
    5/12 3.26
    5/13 6.05
    5/14 rest
    5/15 4.02
    5/16 3.16
    5/17 snorkel 3.5 hours.
    5/18 4.00
    5/19 snorkel 4.5 hours (a 2 snorkel week!)
    5/20 sickface (swallowed too much salt water?)
    5/21 4.12

Total 52.00

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,405 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I can't even imagine wearing the same running clothes all week - mine are soaked when I am finished. I even rinse them out and hang them to dry in the hotel room just in case I need them even though I always take a set for nearly every day. Also I have so many running socks! I have stocked up on Smartwool when they have been deeply discounted and now have a drawer full in use and another drawer full of brand new ones unopened!
    @ohhim - I hate it when people stop like that or walk in the middle of the road/trail! I have taken to 'gently' suggesting they move to the side and out of people's way... many times they still don't get it.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,405 Member
    Options
    Date..........Miles.........Total
    05/01.......0.00..........0.00
    05/02.......5.16..........5.16 - + Agility
    05/03.......0.00..........5.16 - Dallas
    05/04.......4.25..........9.41
    05/05.......0.00..........9.41 - Home
    05/06.......0.00..........9.41
    05/07.....10.03........19.44
    05/08.......2.50........21.94 - Dog beach run
    05/09.......2.00........23.94 - Dallas
    05/10.......4.31........28.25
    05/11.......0.00........28.25 - Home
    05/12.......4.07........32.32 - + Strength Training
    05/13.......0.00........32.32
    05/14.......8.32........40.64
    05/15.......2.00........42.64 - Walk with the girl and her pup
    05/16.......0.00........42.64 - Seattle
    05/17.......0.00........42.64
    05/18.......0.00........42.64 - Home
    05/19.......5.01........47.65 - + Strength Training
    05/20.......0.00........47.65 - Supposed to be a vacation day but it was a busy work day :(
    05/21.....14.51........62.16 - Distance PR
    05/22.......0.00........62.16

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    06/25/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/xx/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    xx/xx/xx - Nike Women's Half Marathon, Los Angeles
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Holy crap, what happened to your face?!

Lol... that is a picture from a couple of years ago following one of my more spectacular trail wrecks on the Glacier Ridge Trail... I hit slick mud and went over an embankment and hammered a tree... since I was still nearly 4 miles from my car I had no choice but to keep running. I got terrified stares from casual hikers, high fives from other trail runners and stitches from the doctor.... all in all it was one of my favorite runs.

So awesome!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    09/xx/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle

Awesome. I want to do the Beat the Blerch Virtual Half Marathon that weekend.

http://www.beattheblerch.com/virtual.html