May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I found this too late! Hopefully there will be one for June!

No it's not too late to get some May miles in, and yes there will be a June Challenge. Just keep checking back here about the last day of the month @HazelFreelances.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Current Infinitus update...

INFINITUS 888K - Starting Day 6
    1st - Lee Dalgety - 310 Miles
    2nd - Eric Skocaj - 302 Miles
    3rd - Hélène Dumais - 276 Miles
    4th - Jordan Wirfs-Brock - 273 Miles
    5th - Joel Gat - 269 Miles
    6th - Jessica Pendleton - 252 Miles
    7th - Mark Mccaslin - 222 Miles
    8th - Laura Range - 217 Miles
    9th - Will Bradley - 194 Miles
    10th - Chuck Shultz - 178 Miles
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Does that mean your bunny identifies itself as a female? :open_mouth:
    Of course it does... it's bunny. Ain't no such thing as a macho bad-*kitten* man-rabbit...
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7... I forgot about that one... lol... "Run away! Run away!"
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It's just occurring to me that while I know quite well what it feels like to be sore from doing squats or yardwork, I'm really confused about running soreness. I think I've somehow been expecting that nothing should hurt because it's cardio.

I ran Fri/Sat/Sun and then on Monday my left hamstring felt a little sore, just with impact, not in general walking around. I rolled it with my "bumpy stick" thing between my kickboxing/strength/pilates workout segments last night. This morning it was pretty sore and I had to go very low impact on cardio. Rolled it more.

Now, I can jump, do high knees, hop on that leg, without any pain whatsoever. So is this completely normal and I was just sore from running? I feel like I should know this by now, but I've seriously never considered that I could be temporarily sore from running. And after several injury-type setbacks (pains that got worse and worse until I couldn't run anymore) I've become soooo cautious about any pain.

I don't know if I really have a question here, more of a personal revelation that it's okay to be sore from running. Haha.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree- Yes, you can get sore from running. Just ask anyone who has ever run a marathon! For me, most of my running soreness occurs when I first wake up in the morning and eases as I move around. I think this is typical. It's the soreness/pain that intensifies as I run that usually puts me on the alert for possible injury.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    I think this year is the first time I've run consistently enough to really get any soreness. I never felt anything when I ran twice a week. Now that I sometimes run 3 days in a row (even though it's usually only 3 miles at a time) I think I just start to feel sore and need a rest day or two from running. It's been almost 2 years since I originally started running but I'm still learning new things about how my body reacts. Also, I think I'm just getting old. The first few years I was working out I never stretched and never felt any worse for wear. Now my body craves the stretching and foam rolling and needs to be babied :D
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can get sore from running for sure, like @lporter229 said about marathon runners. That sort of distance/time will put a serious smack down on your muscles and more! On a lesser extreme perhaps is DOMS from intense workouts. For example, yesterday and today my glute muscles and even my quads to a degree have been sore and stiff from DOMS after doing some tough hill repeats on Saturday and then a hilly 12 mile long run 48 hours later. I'm hoping I am not as sore tomorrow for my next scheduled 12 mile long run because it kind of sucks. But, it's not injury pain, just damn tough workout sore and stiff sort of pain, which is good...so I'm told.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Yeah, I can usually tell when soreness is from like strength training and that's always been on both sides. Freaks me out with running because it'll be one side and I think I pulled something. But I do exercise a lot in general besides running so it's a miracle I can walk sometimes :)
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Does that mean your bunny identifies itself as a female? :open_mouth:
    Of course it does... it's bunny. Ain't no such thing as a macho bad-*kitten* man-rabbit...

You haven't watched Monty Python's "The Holy Grail" have you?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

@PoppetsMaster Im going to train him to poop in your running shoes
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ended up doing a bonus mile last night before an exercise class, then went out for 8.5 miles today on some trails as it was a bit hot to be running out in the full sun. Ended up having a nice swim after to cool down, but suspect I'll need a rest day tomorrow, or will just cut back to a 4-5 mile recovery day before my legs go totally dead as I'd like to capitalize on my time up north away from the Florida humidity.

I still have a few more days of active recovery from my marathon, and my next ironman/marathon training cycle doesn't start for a month, so I'll likely just continue to build my base fitness and plan to shed a few more pounds before beginning that cycle. Hoping to race both the October marathon & November Ironman closer to the 150lb mark (vs. 158 for my last marathon), as I'd love to crack 3 hours in October on the fast/flat Chicago course, and go under 10 hours at my first full ironman.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25 - 7:11/mile, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles
    5/12 - 2 miles
    5/13 - 4.5 miles
    5/14 - 6 miles
    5/15 - 3 miles
    5/17 - 11 miles
    5/18 - 10 miles
    5/19 - 11 miles
    5/20 - 2.5 miles
    5/21 - 7 miles
    5/22 - 11.5 miles
    5/23 - 9 miles
    5/24 - 8.5 miles

Total: 142 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 38 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@4leighbee - Immediately after a marathon (especially back when they took me closer to 5 hours, or if the conditions are super hot) I'm usually a total wreck and in no condition to drive for at least a few hours. Still, if I have time to recover, shower, and maybe grab some lunch, I'm ok to drive after a few hours and could definitely drive for an hour or two. If I were you, see if you can get a late check-out (especially if the race starts at 6AM, you'd be done by 11AM, and could shower/get out of the room by 1-2PM), then maybe maybe sit in a whirlpool (if they have one), stop for a longer leisurely lunch after with lots of sodium, liquids, and electrolites, and you'll be ok after a few hours.

@orphia - I definitely struggled with that problem at first when moving up to the marathon/half-marathon distance. The predictive calculators (for up to half-marathons based on 5K/10K times) seem to work ok for me (macmillan, daniels VO2max tables), but if you aren't in the 60+ mile/week range, they seem to epicly fail on marathons (as the slate calculator works better for newbies). After a few races of going out too fast or too slow, going by heart rate seems to work ok for me (at my 2-3 mile training runs the day before a race after tapering, I'll check out my speed at 168bpm and 163bpm paces for half/full respectively), but I didn't figure out what HR works for me until after a handful of races. I got some good advice on "feel" from a friend who was a former pro runner and trained with some big name coaches in his prime ("feel pretty fresh at the halfway point of a marathon", "the second half of a half should feel as intense as a 10K"), but those sort of words of wisdom are pretty subjective as well.

@lporter - I'm exactly 1 mile and 0.7 miles from the 2 nearby city parks when I'm up north in Pittsburgh. One has about 4 miles of maintained relatively shaded gravel trails (+1.5 of non-maintained meandering trails, and a running oval track), while the other has about 8 miles of very hilly and slightly less maintained trails (not too suitable for novice runners who want to stay running the entire time), and a ton of biking single-track if you are good constantly clearing stumps/watching your footing. In Florida, if I'm willing to head about a mile and a half up the beach to a secluded state park, there is about 1.5 miles of trails to run in, along with another 3 miles of beach along the perimeter of that park (caladesi island state park).
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just had my first meeting with my new ortho. He performed his own diagnosis (complete with new x-rays) and came up with the exact same conclusion as the ortho that referred me--so, that's comforting.

To recap for those who may have missed it or forgotten :wink: , I have os trigonum syndrome. That is, I have a small extra bone attached to the back of my talus (ankle) bone that gets crushed in the joint every time I point my toe. In addition to that, I have a very large accessory soleus muscle. Meaning, I have an extra calf muscle that, instead of stopping above the ankle joint, continues down through the joint--filling the open space--all the way to my heel. Besides getting crushed in the ankle joint along with the extra bone, the muscle is compressing my Achilles tendon to the point that it is wavy (like a strip of bacon) instead of being straight.

SO...I have to have surgery. I'm supposed to call tomorrow to get that scheduled. The surgery will consist of excising the os trigonum and debulking the muscle to create the proper empty space in my ankle joint and restore full range of motion. According to the surgeon, I should be able to walk around (in a boot) the day after surgery, though I will probably not want to (his words). I should be able to lose the boot after about 2 weeks, the swelling should mostly subside in about 5 weeks, and I should be able to return to normal activity in 8 weeks.

So, I guess I'm continuing to sit out the challenges for the rest of May, June, and July. Depending on when surgery is, maybe I'll be able to join back in for August. (I'll still be around to read through everyone's stuff and contribute the occasional post, though).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hey @5beautifuldays! What surgery did you have done? I'm scheduled for one on my rear in 49 days. Kinda thinking about bailing on it.... :#
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Wow @ceciliaslater. Least there's consistency in the diagnosis. I suppose it's only the one leg thats affected? Hope all heals quickly. Nice break though through the summer heat.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - From everything I've read, I probably have the extra bone and muscle in my other leg/ankle as well. In the vast majority of cases where people have both legs scanned, it is bilateral. I haven't had any imaging done on the other one to know for sure, though.

Seems like the general consensus is to just leave it be, regardless, unless it starts causing problems. Most people who have one or both conditions survive their whole lives with no problems, so the chances that I'll have to have surgery on the other ankle are pretty low.

I would definitely be interested to know if I have the same thing in the other ankle, though! Is only half of me bizarre, or am I 100% freak?!?!