May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Marathoners: I live an hour from my race (in November). Any issue with driving (an hour) after the run? I'm thinking about staying overnight downtown. Your experiences? :) Thanks!

I'm driving 3.5 hours home after my HM in July, I'll let you know how that goes.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00
    5/8.......................6.00...............36.00
    5/9....................REST................36.00
    5/10..................REST................36.00
    5/11.....................5.00...............41.00
    5/12.....................4.00...............45.00
    5/13..................REST................45.00
    5/14...................31.50...............76.50 (GRT 50k Ultra)
    5/15..................REST................76.50
    5/16..................REST................76.50
    5/17.....................5.50...............82.00
    5/18.....................5.00...............87.00
    5/19..................REST................87.00
    5/20.....................2.00...............89.00
    5/21.....................8.50...............97.50
    5/22..................REST................97.50
    5/23.....................7.00.............104.50
    5/24.....................5.00.............109.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    More storms this morning but they settled down to showers before I got out, so I decided to take the paved streamway trails and check things out. The streams were swollen and roaring pretty well but none of the trail was flooded, unless you count 50 foot long puddles about 3 inches deep flooded, but they were just puddles not stream overflow.

Today's 6 easy miles were tough. I noticed my legs felt a bit tired on the last half of yesterday's long run which would certainly be due to Saturday's hill repeats. The legs were honestly not thrilled with 6 recovery pace miles today. But I made it.

I considered for a while during my run about shuffling this weeks assignments up to rest tye legs a bit and still get the mileage, but now I'm thinking I should just do the planned 12 miles tomorrow and just take them slow if needed, maybe even walk breaks if needed.

Then again, maybe I'll feel great tomorrow. :smile:

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 10.5 miles
    5/8 - 10.5 miles
    5/9 - 6 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 10 miles
    5/12 - 6 miles
    5/13 - Rest
    5/14 - 13.1 miles
    5/15 - 4 miles
    5/16 - 6 miles
    5/17 - 6 miles
    5/18 - 6 miles
    5/19 - 6 miles
    5/20 - Rest
    5/21 - 6 miles
    5/22 - 6 miles
    5/23 - 12 miles
    5/24 - 6 miles

160.2/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 but was only 12.5 miles
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    7/23 - Psycho Summer Run Toto Run 50k (Kansas City, KS)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @PoppetsMaster Nice running consistency!
    @whatmerunning sounds like you got a good plan. Your legs may very well feel just fine tomorrow, just gotta go for it and see!
  • PoppetsMaster
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the following are?

-Half marathon pace
    -Marathon pace

I get that 5k pace is your speedy pace. But how on earth do you know how to run those longer distances? Sometimes when reading, "marathon pace" sounds like you're meant to be pushing it all the way. Confused.

I guess it all depends on what you want... I have never figured out my "pace" (training, race or otherwise). For me pace is whatever feels best on any given day. I never even think about it. Even on race days. And I have never run a fartlek, or a tempo run, or an interval. I have never worn a heart-rate monitor or understood what VO max is. I just unscientifically run. I have run the marathon distance about seven or eight times... three times as part of ultras and the rest as solo trail runs for fun.

But if you want to train so can keep running faster and faster half-marathons and full marathons, then you probably need to figure all that stuff out. As you can see from reading this forum, there are lots of runners who really get into that and it brings them great joy in their running. For me, it has the opposite effect. I have to keep my running really simple and uncomplicated. I like running long distances, especially on trails and I use races to help keep me focused on that and to hang-out with other ultra-runners (they are really cool people and I am happy they let me tag along and get street cred...lol)... but I get as much satisfaction running 26 miles on my own as I do 31 miles in a race... regardless of my "pace".
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    Im driving 3 hours to pick up a new bunny today but I am going to try really really hard to fit a run . Realistically though I will probably be bunny snuggling all day .

Actually kitten, you need to get your run-in first and then see if you can fit in the Bunny Run...

You above all people know better. By the time your work is over i will have replaced you with a four lb ball of fluff.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    Im driving 3 hours to pick up a new bunny today but I am going to try really really hard to fit a run . Realistically though I will probably be bunny snuggling all day .

Actually kitten, you need to get your run-in first and then see if you can fit in the Bunny Run...

You above all people know better. By the time your work is over i will have replaced you with a four lb ball of fluff.

Lol... in that case, maybe I should take little bunny foo-foo out for a little trail run and see how he does...
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Lol... in that case, maybe I should take little bunny foo-foo out for a little trail run and see how he does...

You are wicked. He is an indoor girl like me
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It looks like a good amount of rain for tomorrow's trail race (YES!!!). Looking at the pictures from last years race, which had the same conditions, it looks like I'm going to have a fantastic time. I can't wait!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlydanekphoto/albums/72157654931532671/page1

That looks like an awesome race!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Not sure yet if I'm running today. Depends on weather. Got up early and did 45 min low impact cardio though. Just in case. ;) My first thought though this morning was, didn't I JUST exercise before I went to bed? Sure seemed like it. I may be needing a complete rest day soon.

It seems the weather channel cannot predict our weather at this point but rather they just report "it's raining now" after it starts :D So who knows. I don't mind the rain but I won't go out if it's storming. Also maybe I should drive over to the little trail a mile from my house and not interact with cars in the rain? They are still predicting rain most days over the next couple weeks.

Dumped all my exercise clothing on the bed last night because my drawers were out of control with winter and summer mixed and a bunch of stuff I can't even squeeze my big butt into right now. I managed to part with maybe 8-10 items I bought years ago and never really liked. But I apparently have like 100 pieces of athletic clothing still. Yikes. At least now I can see and use the summer stuff.

@MNLittleFinn My Sunday speed intervals were at 55 degrees and 88% humidity and I was dying, so I get what you're saying with your weather today.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - rest day
    5/4 - 6 miles
    5/5 - 5 miles
    5/6 - rest day
    5/7 - 5 miles
    5/8 - trip to Nashville :smiley:
    5/9 - 5 miles
    5/10 - family day
    5/11 - 5 miles
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - family leaving I'm sad day
    5/14 - 4 miles (5K and 1 mile warm up)
    5/15 - 6 miles
    5/16 - rest day
    5/17 - unexpected rest day
    5/18 - 5 miles Happy Birthday Skip!
    5/19 - life day
    5/20 - 5 miles
    5/21 - driving all over the world day
    5/22 - too tired to move day :neutral:
    5/23 - 7 miles
    5/24 - 6 miles

73 of 100 miles

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Nice run @skippygirlsmom! Looks like, weather, life, stuff, permitting, you could get to 100 this month!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Oh and I got in a little over 4 miles in this morning on the treadmill in the hotel gym. I really wanted to be running outside near the vineyards but we aren't in an area where we can easily run/walk - hotel is right along the highway with no sidewalks and no vineyards right nearby. It also doesn't help that I left my running belt and sunglasses at home.
    It's ok though - we did sit outside at a winery overlooking the vineyards, sipping estate Cabernets... It was so very relaxing. Still wishing I could run through the vineyards but it will have to be on another trip.

@shanaber so jealous or jelly as Skip would say!

@mnlittlefinn thanks. We are leaving tomorrow for lower Alabama for my other half's daughter's graduation I love to run on Fort Rucker's post so I'm looking forward to it. It's supposed to be in the mid 90s so we'll see how all that works out.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - Rest day after HM to finish April. Another ugly, rainy day.
    5/2 - 4.25 miles.
    5/3 - 3.1 miles. Quick 5k while my daughter had soccer practice.
    5/4 - 4.53 miles. Cool, pleasant morning run. Mostly base pace, but last mile tempo.
    5/5 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class).
    5/6 - 4.47 miles. Base pace.
    5/7 - 4.84 miles, Market to Market Relay Leg 4
    - 4.01 miles, Market to Market Relay Leg 11
    5/8 - Planned rest day
    5/9 - Unplanned rest day
    5/10 - 5.17 miles
    5/11 - Misty, foggy 5.01 miles
    5/12 - 4.31 miles.
    5/13 - 3.1 miles on treadmill, plus weights/abs
    5/14 - 6 miles. Abbreviated 10k. Ran first 5k with my daughter...her 1st! Then 2nd loop in what would have been a 5k PR. Had so much fun!
    5/15 - 9.02 miles. Gorgeous afternoon!
    5/16 - Planned rest day.
    5/17 - 4.39 miles. Cool, pleasant, misty morning.
    5/18 - Unplanned rest day
    5/19 - 4.8 miles on treadmill (Trek class), then weights
    5/20 - 5.09 pleasant miles. Negative splits.
    5/21 - 11.04 mile long run
    5/22 - Day of baseball
    5/23 - Unplanned rest day. First cold of the "summer".
    5/24 - Another missed run due to illness. Ugh!! Head is so full of goop, I think I would get dizzy if I ran.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, especially for those of us that fit the proverbial shoe:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204047504574384973660445730

I always said that qualifying for Boston was the end of the line for me, but now that I have done that, I'm finding it a bit harder than I thought to quit focusing on improving my speed. I really feel like maybe trail running is my answer. I only wish it was as easy as running out my front door. Most of the parks that have trails near me only have 1-3 mile loops. For those of you that run trails, how far do you usually have to travel to get to good trails? Do you run loops around the same paths? What distance are your trails?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I drive from work to a park, about 2 miles and run park trails. One loop I can get about 6 miles. The park is 12 miles from the house. I'm not comfortable running out my door, traffic and dogs. I'm not keen on pavement either.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    For those of you that run trails, how far do you usually have to travel to get to good trails? Do you run loops around the same paths? What distance are your trails?

@lporter229 my favorite local trail is just 20 minutes from my house and it has 19 miles of trails, though realistically if you want to minimize back tracking you're looking at about 12 to 14 miles.

Closer is a park about 10 minutes away and it has 18 miles of trails but it has steeper hills and his not as scenic.

Within an hour of here I have quite a number of options.

Though I prefer not to, I don't mind running loops as long as it's not too short.

ETA: Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it to read later.
  • HazelFreelances
    HazelFreelances Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found this too late! Hopefully there will be one for June!