May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7- Boy, you are lucky! Where do you live?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @7Lenny7- Boy, you are lucky! Where do you live?

I'm in a southwest suburb of Minneapolis. We have a *kitten* ton of trails and a great trail running community.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Minneapolis is such a cool, active city. I have been there a couple of times for work and really enjoyed running there. My runs were in the metro area, along the river and such, but the vibe from the running community there was outstanding!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Today I ran in the rain like the cool kids that don't let the weather stop their workout.

@7Lenny7 I envy you.

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km
    May 08 - 5.8 km
    May 09 - 4.1 km
    May 10 - rest
    May 11 - 5 km
    May 12 - 4.1 km
    May 13 - restss
    May 14 - 7.5 km split in 2 parts but it still counts
    May 15 - 5.7 km
    May 16 - rest
    May 17 - 5+1.4 km
    May 18 - 6 km
    May 19 - 5.8 km
    May 20 - rest
    May 21 - 7.2 km
    May 22 - 10 km
    May 23 - 5.6 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For those of you that run trails, how far do you usually have to travel to get to good trails? Do you run loops around the same paths? What distance are your trails?
    I am seven minutes away from the Glacier Ridge Trail and the North Country Trail heads... Glacier Ridge is about 15 miles in length... North Country is literally hundreds of miles long... I am also about 15 minutes away from the Slippery Rock Gorge Trail, which is about 12 miles long. I am also about an hour away from Oil Creek State Park where they run the Oil Creek 100 (a Western States Qualifier), the Allegheny National Forest and some great trails in eastern Ohio.

I don't run loops... all out and backs.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    May 11-18 - Rest & lost runs. Zero point zero.
    May 19 - 8.1 km fast. Two PRs HR175
    May 20 - 8.3 km tempo. HR163
    May 21 - 30 km Mountain Bike. No run.
    May 22 - 12 km moderate, a little walking. HR149
    May 23 - Rest
    May 24 - 8.5 km slow HR134

Total 98.5 km goal 120 km.

Tonight's run was supposed to be slow. But honestly I can't keep a pace at that level so it was mostly a moderate run even with lots of short walks. Easy, no pain, feels more of a recovery run than actual training.

Today's thought: Looked at the local tri-club web page probably going to join in the near future.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm in a southwest suburb of Minneapolis. We have a *kitten* ton of trails and a great trail running community.
    My oldest daughter lives and works in Minneapolis... she loves it there and sends me cool pics of her running... she just did her first half up there on St. Patrick's Day...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    SW of the cities is a nice area
    My oldest daughter lives and works in Minneapolis... she loves it there and sends me cool pics of her running... she just did her first half up there on St. Patrick's Day...
    Glad she likes it there...I couldn't wait to get out. Living in a National Forest means it's pretty easy for me to find trails....another excuse to get new shoes maybe......
  • 7lenny7
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • 7lenny7
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Though I prefer not to, I don't mind running loops as long as it's not too short.

I mean to say that I don't mind *repeating* loops or sections as long as they're not too short, unless they're incredible, like this one.

17l4zjav8553.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double
    5/11 6.2 miles - 62.9
    5/12 9 miles - 71.9
    5/13 6.4 miles - 78.3
    5/14 17 miles - 95.3
    5/15 REST DAY
    5/16 8 miles - 103.3
    5/16 5 miles - 108.3 << Daily Double
    5/17 9 miles - 117.3
    5/17 4 miles - 121.3 << Daily Double
    5/18 6.2 miles - 127.5
    5/19 9 miles - 136.5
    5/20 6.2 miles - 142.7
    5/21 18 miles - 160.7
    5/22 REST DAY
    5/23 9 miles - 169.7
    5/23 4 miles - 173.7 << Daily Double
    5/24 9 miles - 182.7
    5/24 4 miles - 186.7 << Another Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 you're really racking up those daily doubles. Great job!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 looks lovely.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I found this too late! Hopefully there will be one for June!

@HazelFreelances there will be a June Challenge. Watch near the end of the month when it is posted.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For those of you that run trails, how far do you usually have to travel to get to good trails? Do you run loops around the same paths? What distance are your trails?
    I might be lucky in terms of available trails while not being in a part of the country people normally associate with trail running. There is an excellent trail running community out here who work with MTB groups, trail masons, etc. I have nice trails of 10+ miles within 3 miles of my front door, and 12 additional trail systems within the Kansas City Metro area. This part of Kansas is not flat in any sort of way (Ozark-like) and the challenging trails here actually draw trail runners for a couple select events from around the country, something that surprises people not in the know about the area or those events. The trails tend to vary between 4-6 miles on the short end and 20+ miles for a few systems where there are many different trails or offshoots.

For smaller trails, loops are great. You can go one way on one outing, and the other way the next and it seems like two totally different trails.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just realized what @Stoshew71 's "Daily Doubles" are. HOLY CRAP, he's running twice a day! That's hardcore!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Marathoners: I live an hour from my race (in November). Any issue with driving (an hour) after the run? I'm thinking about staying overnight downtown. Your experiences? :) Thanks!

An hour should be no big deal, particularly if you spend some time walking around after finishing the marathon but before driving. My first marathon was at Buffalo, a bit over an hour drive from home. I got a hotel room because I couldn't see driving in that morning for a 7AM gun time; but I drove home after the race so I wouldn't have to pay for 2 nights in the hotel. I did a lot of standing around and walking between the race and the drive, and I broke the drive up with a stop for lunch before doing the long part that was over an hour; but I didn't even notice the drive making the post-marathon aches any worse.

After Boston, I did stay overnight; but the drive home from Boston was a lot longer. And I was stopping about every hour to stretch my legs on that drive home anyway. At the rest stops, I saw a lot of other people in Boston celebration jackets doing pretty much the same thing.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    We have lots of asphalt trails (which at least you aren't in traffic) and then there's the mountain biking trails that kinda scare me because I don't want to get run over by a bike :# I could drive 30-60 mins to get into longer wooded trails. But again, I'm scared to go alone. Cuz boogie men and mountain lions :p There's a 1.5 mi natural trail that I've run a few times and I just do it twice to make 3 miles. If I didn't mind going back and forth between the natural trails and the asphalt, I could make up a longer route, switching terrain. But anyway, I keep waiting for the 1.5 mi loop to reopen from repairs. We do have a 36 mile asphalt trail system that connects from town to town but I don't see myself running 36 miles and back again. LOL

Great pic @7lenny7!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the following are?

-Half marathon pace
    -Marathon pace

I get that 5k pace is your speedy pace. But how on earth do you know how to run those longer distances? Sometimes when reading, "marathon pace" sounds like you're meant to be pushing it all the way. Confused.

@orphia,

The best way to figure out those paces is with more running. I find the calculators work only when you have a solid base of running and have properly trained for the distance in question. When you get to the half and full marathons, endurance plays such a huge role that I don't think you can really look at a 5K time or even a 10k time and get a fair estimate. Another factor is that during your training for a half or full, your marathon pace should increase, particularly for a first timer.

In my opinion, a new runner shouldn't even worry about a marathon pace, intervals, or even tempo runs. I gave up on figuring all that out and spent 98% of my first 6 months running at easy pace in a build up to my first half, and over the next 6 months, 95% of my running was spent at easy pace. Easy being defined simply as the pace I could run while carrying on a conversation. I think new runners hear experienced runners talk about tempo runs, intervals, hill repeats, etc and get so eager to do these as well that they don't build up their base as they should. Now, with a year of running behind me, I'll gradually start to incorporate speed work and hill work.

But I get where you're coming from. When I started running I was just lost trying to even understand what all these paces where supposed to mean, let alone figure out what they were. The calculator I prefer to use is Daniel's calculator found here:

http://www.runsmartproject.com/calculator/

Enter your numbers from our most recent/longest race and then look at the Equivalent tab. I also suggest looking at the Training tab to see what your paces for the easy run and tempo (threshold) run should be.

One thing I'll caution about is to be honest about your where your fitness level is now, and use that as a basis of determining your paces. Don't set a goal for your marathon pace and use that as a basis for your easy pace, threshold pace, etc. If you do that you'll be running too fact for the desired effect of your training run.

^^^^^^ This