Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hello... I fell off the tracking wagon this weekend. Too many kids with cookies and chips and ice cream around. I'm back to tracking this morning.
    Happy Memorial Day!
    Pretty gloomy here on Cape Cod, but it should clear up later on. A good time to catch up on MFP posts. I could also clean, but that's no fun.

Kimses in MA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – Yeah, my DYS is a ‘hoot’. What has been very surprising is, that his ‘new’ wife and ‘new’ daughter have gotten him to do things that he never would have done before; like getting up on the table in a restaurant and dance with his ‘new’ daughter. So many other things, too numerous to count. I’m just amazed. He’d do anything for them. He is a ‘prankster’ for sure. My DOS is very animated when it comes to telling stories. He is my 'art critic' and is sometimes very bold about what he 'thinks' is wrong and way when he looks at my paintings. But, I appreciate it, especially when I am painting something on 'commission'. I want it to be 'right'.

This is probably a deciduous bush/tree – But, we have a ‘Japanese magnolia’ which has pretty tulip shape flowers in early spring; and the puts out its leaves and they last until late fall. Azaleas are about the only plant I can think of that blooms and still keeps its leaves during the year. We have a plant on either side of our deck steps, which has green leaves that turn a beautiful rust/wine color in the fall and is full of star-shaped flowers in the spring. I know it starts with a “S” … spatellephia-something-or-the other. I’ll have to look it up in my Southern Living book of flowers and plants and will let you know what it is. Do you know which ‘zone’ you live in? Most azaleas like to have ‘filtered’ light and do well under pine trees – has something to do with the soil around the pine trees. Camilla's are another plant that keeps it leaves and puts out flowers (usually in the fall). You just have to watch for the black mold. Roses are not as difficult to grow as some people would lead you own; again, you have to watch for 'black mold'. Knowing your 'zone' will make it easier to know what might live and grown in your area of the country (USA) ... not sure about other countries, I am sure they have 'zones' as well.

Charleen2 – I agree with Pip; you cannot compare one dog to another, any more than you can compare one child to the other. Each has the personality all their own. We never thought we could replace “Shorty” (who had become DH’s dog once we moved out here); but “Cracker” is an ‘inside’ dog; but she gets to go outside a lot. She follows DH around like his shadow when he is here. But, she knows who spoils her. DH says that ‘if’ she could talk; she’d have a whole lot to say! The expression she has in her face makes us laugh all the time. But, we did mourn for “Shorty” for a good 6 months before I picked “Cracker” out at the ‘animal shelter’ who was going to put her up for ‘adoption’ the Saturday after I got her on Thursday. She’s coming up on her birthday (or what is about as close) on June 16th. She and DOS share a birthday. We had always had ‘pure breeds’; but, they had gotten ‘so expensive’ that we could not afford to get another one. Cracker is a “Jack Rat”. Face of a Jack Russell; and the body and legs of a Rat Terrier (we don’t know where her tail came it, it sort of curls around to one side. I really think, after having her, that I will always have a 'mixed breed' that is a 'rescued' dog. I think they are 'smarter'. Not so much 'inbreeding' for certain traits like full breeds.

Kim from N. California – When my boys went off to college; it would have been ‘nice’ to have someone help us getting ‘financial’ aid for them. We waded through FASFA and Pell Grants; and, had nobody to explain any of them to us. I would have preferred to have started paying on the principal on the FASFA, instead of just ‘interest’ for 2 years. I could have gotten it paid off in far less of time than I have been getting it paid off. DYS had to obtain his own financial aid, when he decided to go ‘out of state’ for school. Thankfully, the lady in charge of making sure my MSU got his transcripts for his previous school was ‘charmed’ by this young man; and, she helped his get so many scholarships and other loans that actually paid for most of his schooling. We helped on ‘living expenses’.

I try to always buy my art supplies when they are ‘on sale’. Both Michaels and Hobby Lobby usually have good sales. I prefer to buy my canvases from Michael’s because they keep an excellent supply of the museum quality canvases; and I find they are more true to being 'square'. I will take a "T" ruler with me to double check the ones I buy at Hobby Lobby. Nothing is more unsettling that spending time doing a painting only to find out you have to frame it professionally because it is out of square. I bought a black canvas to paint sunflowers on for my ‘new’ granddaughter who wants the ‘pink’ even though she knows they are mostly ‘yellow’. She wants them to go in her room which is ‘pink’.

Katla – I’m going to share the poem about being an ‘old lady’ with my sons. Not that I would ever want to live with either one; I’ve already spent a time living with my DOS – I did not like it; and, could not wait to move out. DH had my studio built before they finished the house; so we moved into it; with boxes stacked up around all the walls; we had a heater, A/C, bed, coffee maker, 2 burner stove, … and I would only go to their house to watch TV or take a shower during the day; and, would come back to our little ‘home’ before they got home from work. We also had the 'port-a-john' that I had from when I had a bad wreck several years earlier. If I did anything such as make up the bed or put the dishes in the dishwasher or take the clean ones out – I was snooping! So I stopped even doing that for them.

Lgilchrist – You need to ‘bookmark’ this thread. By coming to it and then clicking on the outline of a star. It will turn yellow; and, then when you close out and come back in, click on the gray star between the gray bell and gray gear. It will put down a dropdown screen for you for the current month. Every end of the month barbiecat will post a link that will take you to the next month. In this case; you will usually see two months that have a ‘number’ of ‘new posts’. You can go in and read all that have been posted the previous month and then go into the 'new' month by going back to the star, clicking it again and the previous posts will no longer be highlighted in yellow. When you post, the site will ‘usually’ take you back to your last posting. Quite often I will go back a few because people are posting all the time; and, you might miss a few if you don't. A lot of us, open up a ‘word processing program’ (WPP) and put them side-by-side and answer the comments that way; then use the ‘cut and paste’ feature to post them to the ‘last page’ that is open on the site. When you are posting, you cannot go back a page without saving the post; otherwise, you will lose all that you have typed in (unless you save the post). Then you can go back and add any comments to your current post by hitting the upper right-hand corner of the post until a ‘black gear’ shows up; it will give you an hour to ‘edit’ your post (hit the time dropdown list). The “quote” feature lets you post the comment of another and answer it in your post; if it is a particularly long one; and you only want to answer a portion of it; you can delete those parts you don’t want. I’m not sure what the ‘flag’ feature is … other than to ‘flag’ something you think might be offensive to others and then MFP can remove it if they agree. The ‘like’ and ‘awesome’ feature works pretty much like on other ‘social networking sites’ I’ve never used either, so somebody else might be able to tell you what it means.

Welcome to a ‘great group of gals’ (most of us over the age of 50; although we aren’t against accepting other women of ages below 50). This is a sight that is ‘exclusive’ for women and I don’t think we have had a guy try to join in. Tell us a little about yourself, name you prefer to be called, location (general of specific), family, hobbies, etc. Come often and post often. About the only 2 subjects we try to stay clear of is ‘politics’ and ‘religion’ since there are so many of us who practice/believe their own;

If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask. You’ll find that we are one big happy family; and, we will do our best to encourage you on your trip and ‘new’ lifestyle. You’ll find that we are not afraid to share our deepest concerns and feelings.

Heather – You are probably right about your daily ‘caloric intake’ being correct to ‘maintain’ your weight; I am on a doctor approved/ordered diet plan that is well under 1000 calories a day; I am just beginning to add some ‘regular’ food to my daily diet on a daily basis; even though it puts me into the category of calories for ‘maintaining’. Right now I am struggling with that last 10-15lbs and I know that ‘exercise’ is the answer. I’m like you, I don’t really like to exercise; but, now that DH has mowed paths for me to walk on, I have no real excuse. We’ve opened our pool and I will walk laps in it. Great exercise. I’m using my hula hoop for exercise and have the list of materials to make one that ‘works’ for an adult. The ones you buy at K-Mart or Wal-Mart are too small and too light. Great exercise for that core portion of your body and helps make the belly smaller.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Happy Memorial Day to those who have served our country past and present. My closest hero being my husband who gave over 21 years of service to the US Air Force. He spent time in many countries and positions including a two year stint in "special ops" during the Vietnam war era, when they did not wear their uniforms nor carry any ID in case of capture. Like many vets he does not speak much of his experiences during that time.

Janetr okc
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    PHEW! Two hours, ten minutes of defrosting our huge upright freezer! Don't think MFP give you a calorie count for that! Boiling water, carrying bowls, chipping away, unloading and reloading. DH and I managed to not fall out, though it was touch and go when he knocked two of the shelf doors off (a ×#×#×#÷+ to get back on) and then switched the fridge off instead of switching the freezer back on. Never mind. It's done! :drinker: I will never buy a non self defrosting one again, but this one came as a matching pair with the fridge. :ohwell: The garage one is self defrosting.
    I wanted to get it done before we went away as ice was bulging everywhere.

Now relaxing with tea and Indian pickle open sandwich. :bigsmile:

Love Heather UK

PS - We discovered some lovely plums from last year's harvest and some remains of my homemade stem ginger ice cream. Guess what's for dessert! (Just a scrape of ice cream for me - I actually have a new batch of yoghurt in the oven)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    My BnL went to Vietnam 4 times while he was in the service ... he does NOT sleep without his 'service revolver" loaded and within reach. One reason I told DH that he 'had' to move out of our house. Found it in my son's clothes. I went ballistic and told him that he 'had' to unload it and put it up. When he said that he does not sleep without it ... that was the last night he spent in out house. While my sons knew about guns and NOT to touch them without my DH being with them; and, they 'probably' would have never touched it, I could not and would not take that chance ... or the chance that one of their friends would pick it up and not know how to check it for being loaded. He made the Air Force his career; and, I am thankful for his service; but, coming back from a 'war zone' made him a tad bit 'squirrely'. He also served in Guam (was able to take his family with him), in Minot (snowed in up to the eaves twice with an ADHD 3-year-old and a 'colicky' infant (wife came home once it thawed out); in Turkey (where they could not wear their uniforms or ID) coming to work and/or going home from the base. FDSnL divorced him while he was stationed over there; don't blame her, she was sort of afraid of him, for good reason. He was a total 'jerk'; and, did not realize that he let the 'sweetest' woman on the earth slip through his fingers because of being such a 'hard @$$'. I still keep in touch with her (mainly, through her present DH). BnL and FSnL lost their youngest child to cancer at the age of 40-something on the day that would have been their 49th wedding anniversary. He told me that ... I felt sorry for him for many reasons. He works with DH and is a 'moody' person. I don't speak to him unless he speaks to me first, so that I can gauge his mood. Sometimes he is very friendly; other times he won't even say 'hello' to me.

Happy Memorial Day to all; and remember those who gave their all in protecting our freedom and our rights.

Lenora
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Memorial Day A time to remember those in the military and, I would add, the many civilians who worked for the cause of peace who gave their lives in war and conflict. These people do it without any thought of being "heroes". What is most courageous to me, is that those who served are often the first to forgive, while all the time remembering and insuring that we never forget. Their valour serves a sharp contrast to that of the "armchair soldiers". So on this Memorial Day, let us remember their sacrifice and reflect on what far wiser persons than I have said:

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." Mahatma Gandhi

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, ...let us strive on to finish the work we are in, ...to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations..." Abraham Lincoln, Second Inaugural Address

Thank you to all you ladies who served or who are the wife, daughter, mother, cousin, granddaughter, partner, or special friend of those who serve, did serve, or died in service.

CJ

Senator Carper wrote a moving op-ed about his visits to Viet Nam where he served as a Navy pilot My trip to Vietnam: a journey back in time, and a look into the future
    https://medium.com/@SenatorCarper/the-future-of-u-s-vietnamese-relations-if-you-want-to-travel-far-go-together-c4ee9162f38f#.3406m7paj
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    df8bu93oqmqc.jpeg
    Thank u to all who served from bullwinkle, yogi and Floyd, oh and the parents.
    Our traditional pic before we leave
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Cheri: Best wishes for a successful job search for your DH and an end to "limbo" for both of you. :flowerforyou:

Becca: Your food photos are great. The berries and oatmeal is gorgeous & so is the quinoa salad. Making the individual portion sized lasagna is brilliant. :star:

Michele: Rhododendrons and Azaleas are in a family that includes evergreen and deciduous varieties. They come in a lovely array of colors. You might put deciduous Azaleas in front of evergreen Rhodies. Azaleas are more likely to stay low to the ground and might be what you are looking for. Rhodies can get very big if they aren't pruned to keep them in check, but there are some varieties that stay smaller than others. This would be a good time of year to go to a nursery that grows both and see how lovely they are. I have two Rhodies, one on either side of my front door. One of them always blooms before the other and I end up having flowers for Mother's Day from one plant and Memorial Day from the other plant most years. They do need attention to stay within their space and some need to be "deadheaded" for a better appearance when the blooms finish & go brown. They both bloom in spring and are simple evergreen broad leafed shrubs the rest of the time. Look below for a photo I found online. :wink:

Pip: I can't imagine being without a dog, either, although we prefer one at a time. Our first Keeshond died suddenly and unexpectedly from a bee sting, and I started looking for a pup right away. I was still working at the time and DH had already retired and was home alone way too much. The new pup was a major blessing for him. We've had our current guy nine years now, and he is in excellent health. I still miss our first Keeshond, Sucia. She was a corker. The current guy is sweet as can be, fabulous with the grandchildren, and able to get along with every dog he meets. She had an Alpha personality and he has an Omega personality. :bigsmile:

I went down and sat in the sailboat for a while this afternoon. I miss it so much! I might go back and hang out again. Our friends have gone to a nearby anchorage to spend the holiday weekend together and I wish we were there, too. DH is not comfortable on the boat anymore and it breaks my heart. :broken_heart: I love horseback riding, which is my consolation prize, but I love the boat in a deep way that combines memories from decades of our married life and fun times. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

bg9eg0lvyre6.jpg

Well Katla, I showed the mini loaf pans all filled with the lasagna to my husband before I put them in the oven to bake more. He just shook his head at me... lol!!!! Lasagna shouldn't be cute he said.. I did have to soak the pan to get off all the baked gunk off it though. I use that to make mega awesome brownies with 4 sides of dense crunchiness!!! I have never been brilliant before...ever.. hahahaha!! (Says the lady that washed her hair last night so she could have clean hair to go on to the clean sheets). I am mentally brilliant....
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Eldest son
    Wedding%20013_zpsryqeomq2.jpg

Middle son (getting married)
    WeddingAE_zpsdvryxwmq.jpg

My husband (with eldest son right when he came back from bootcamp)
    We are at the Nudist Resort... lol
    299_zpspeilylxe.jpg

So proud of my guys.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    My husband (when I first met him in 1984) Hottie huh!!

100_2833_zpsse12agra.jpg

My husbands father (without his short on), in the Army.
    Garold%20Gossett_zpsrledy4gp.jpg

My own father (tallest one on the right), with his Navy buddies on shore leave.
    Jay%20Curtis_zpsjscbn0lc.jpg

Becca
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Memorial day. I want to thank all of you who have served or had family that did or is serving. We are such a Blessed country and we all need to remember that.

I am working 6-4:30 today. Been a long weekend as worked and not very many patients so been really slow. I have the next couple days off and tomorrow I go back to the doctor for my arm.

Weigh in this morning was not good. I am up 2.7 pounds from the first of May. But not giving up and back to logging and tracking and checking in with all of you. Thanks so much for your support and love.

Beth--Sending prayers and hugs for you and DH.

Barbie--Pray things get better for you and Jake. A lot to handle at one time and stay on track.

Becca--Sending you and DH lots of prayers. The waiting is the hardest part.

Joyce--Glad to hear Charlie is doing better. Your girls sounds like my sister and I when we are together. Not sure what starts it, but a great stress reliever.

Well ladies I hope the rest of your weekend goes well and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ✔️
  • Annr
    Options
    Ok one more pic....thought it was cute...

rack_zpsbhaqkhsi.png

Reality check for kids going to college.....
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Yep Vicki, his itching kept him up most of the night. Just trying to keep things light, and not stressed takes conscience work. He is tired of being in his brace (from his fractured kneecap), tired of being itchy, tired of being yellow (jaundice), and wishes the doctors would call us. Why do most medical situations happen on a holiday or weekend.... lol.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Opps one more. This is my daughter-in-law with middle son out at a military appreciation event.
    DanielleampPatrick_zpsssf1ploa.jpg

Ok enough gushing..
    Becca