Obesity Journal study: It's not just CICO

Options
New York Times story details that a study of Biggest Loser contestants found they regained much of the weight they lost and ruined their metabolism -- all had metabolisms that burned much less than a person their weight should have been burning.

So, OK, it is CICO, but if you're overweight and trying to lose weight, it may mean that your calories in is a lot lower than your calculated BMR or TDEE. So the question is, how do we get our BMR really tested....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Replies

• 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It would be interesting to compare the Biggest Loser folks' BMRs to those who lost similar amounts of weight using less extreme deficits. It says that one person had a daily goal deficit of 3500. How does his BMR compare to a person who lost using much more moderate (or even low) deficit and who took diet breaks, etc?

I don't have any studies to quote but I know I've read that a 200/day lowering is pretty normal. That's not insignificant but not as horrible as the 500 they were throwing around in that article.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to know what their daily routine (exercise and diet) consisted of after the show wrapped. Doubtful they continued any resemblance of the diet since off the ranch you have many temptations. Yes I'm sure the highly restrictive diet and hours of exercise created some form of metabolic damage, but it seems like there are some missing facts besides leptin depletion as a cause.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    What does this have to do with CICO?
    CICO means that you lose weight if you eat less than you burn and you gain weight if you eat more than you burn. How much you're going to burn has nothing to do with this principle.

Also this is the only way a person can lose weight - eat less than you burn - more out than in. This is not disputable. There isn't more to it.

Also this ^^
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    My metabolism wasn't permanently altered. In fact....my maintenance calories are higher than they have ever been.

Is that your TDEE or your BMR though?