Obesity Journal study: It's not just CICO

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I also hate that they say in the article that this info is important because so many people regain the weight and blame themselves. Everyone is so quick to find excuses so here's another one, "It's not my fault, I'm doomed to be overweight." It's my metabolism's fault. It's my body's set point. The food industry made me do it. Meanwhile just this one forum is full of people who lost the weight and kept it off by finding what worked for them and taking responsibility for it. :anguished:

Yeah, if there is any truth to it, even for obese people who lose fast, this study is still a big bummer for everyone then.

I hope the scientific report comes available, until then I'm going to discount this thing as another fear mongering hype article doing nobody any good.

• NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ok - permanent as in six years. But my point is that it didn't correct itself after a few months or years
  • Gamliela
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ok - permanent as in six years. But my point is that it didn't correct itself after a few months or years

I know. I know.
    That is the most depressing part...... when will it correct?

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

These were CRASH dieters. My n=1 says this does not happen when one loses weight sensibly.

Define sensibly.

• NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    What does this have to do with CICO?
    CICO means that you lose weight if you eat less than you burn and you gain weight if you eat more than you burn. How much you're going to burn has nothing to do with this principle.

Also this is the only way a person can lose weight - eat less than you burn - more out than in. This is not disputable. So it is just CICO.

ETA: Now if you want to lose them pounds super fast and decide to eat like a mouse and then screw your metabolism as a result, well then I guess we always have natural selection at work :)

To your question - how do we get our TDEE/BMR tested - EASY :)
    I do that for the last few month. I put all my data - the calories in, the calories out through exercise if any, and my weight in excel tables and calculate what my TDEE is as a result of that. This is my actual TDEE and it can't lie :) Fortunately for me it is very close to what the online formulas suggest it is (my calculation is experimental fitting of data, theirs is based on thermodynamics). This method can only work though if you are extra careful with your food measuring and logging.

One doctor associated with this study is quoted as saying that calorie rstricting diets just don't work. I thought it was a bit deprssing myself, I mean the whole thing was, for obese people and sortof hopeless.

Well that one doctor would be medically and physically wrong. The only diet that can work is one were you're restricting calories. There's no other way to get rid of fat, more energy needs to leave the body than enter.

I don't think he was saying restricting doesn't work. I think he was pointing out that our bodies figure out ways to get us to gain weight. Sure you can restrict calories, but in the case of the contestants, their metabolisms just slowed way down (I guess assuming they would continue to exercise 8 hours a day) to compensate for the weightloss. I don't think our bodies understand obesity. It just sees keeping the weight on as being the best thing it can do. When we try to get healthy, it freaks. A disheartening article for sure, but it makes me realize this is a lifelong process. Losings weight in 7 months may work, but if you can't keep up that level of excercise good luck because you'll gain it back.
  • Gamliela
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I also hate that they say in the article that this info is important because so many people regain the weight and blame themselves. Everyone is so quick to find excuses so here's another one, "It's not my fault, I'm doomed to be overweight." It's my metabolism's fault. It's my body's set point. The food industry made me do it. Meanwhile just this one forum is full of people who lost the weight and kept it off by finding what worked for them and taking responsibility for it. :anguished:

Yeah, if there is any truth to it, even for obese people who lose fast, this study is still a big bummer for everyone then.

I hope the scientific report comes available, until then I'm going to discount this thing as another fear mongering hype article doing nobody any good.

But honestly, this is only depressing because people don't understand, not because of what it says! All I see is more proof that The Biggest Loser should be taken off the air. It is unrealistic, shaming, misleading, and does waaaaaay more harm than good to the contestants and the viewers. There is nothing in the article at least that gives any reason to apply these findings to people who lose the weight in a more moderate healthy manner. And it stinks that the article spins it that way.

Yeah. That's what I meant too, its just another one of 'those articles'.

and its kinda sad people went through that body punishing thing and now there is this article in the New York Times saying obesity isn't what they thought and low cal diets don't work.

I wish they would correct that statement. Obviously people lose weight when they eat less caloriea than they burn. Maybe they just mean it isn't viable over the long term for obese people, thats kinda what I got from reading it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    ANother thought I just had.

They didn't know what their BMR was before they gained weight. THis study ASSUMED the contestants were at the average before hand and when they lost weight and were below the average they ASSUMED it was a decline. All of these contestants were morbidly obese. It is very likely they already had lower resting metabolic rates than the average population which is probably why with poor eating habits they were able to get that large.

To do this properly you would really need to measure someones BMR at their low weight. Have them gain a crap ton of weight and probably live like that for an appreciable amount of time, then lose back to their original weight and measure.

It would also be wise to account for differences in BF% because I'm guessing all these contestants have higher than average BF% at a given weight due to how much muscle they likely lost from following the extreme protocol.

I'm pretty sure that was checked, the bmr thing, before weight loss.

I'm talking about their BMR at their low weight. I would 100% expect someone to have a lower BMR at 200 pounds then at 400 pounds.

In the article they their BMR was 800 less than they would EXPECT for someone at that weight. They are comparing against the average not that persons BMR at that weight before they got large.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

These were CRASH dieters. My n=1 says this does not happen when one loses weight sensibly.

Define sensibly.

No more than 1% of your body weight loss per week.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    if you don't lift weights while losing fat your BMR will go down more than you want. This is just 101 stuff.

I think you're overstating it a bit there. There are plenty of exercises that can help that don't involve lifting weights. Body weight training, swimming, biking, etc. can all help maintain and build muscle mass to help with BMR. Weight training has the advantage of allowing one to change weight and rep schemes down to a rather fine degree.

none come close to strength training.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    ANother thought I just had.

They didn't know what their BMR was before they gained weight. THis study ASSUMED the contestants were at the average before hand and when they lost weight and were below the average they ASSUMED it was a decline. All of these contestants were morbidly obese. It is very likely they already had lower resting metabolic rates than the average population which is probably why with poor eating habits they were able to get that large.

To do this properly you would really need to measure someones BMR at their low weight. Have them gain a crap ton of weight and probably live like that for an appreciable amount of time, then lose back to their original weight and measure.

It would also be wise to account for differences in BF% because I'm guessing all these contestants have higher than average BF% at a given weight due to how much muscle they likely lost from following the extreme protocol.

I'm pretty sure that was checked, the bmr thing, before weight loss.

I'm talking about their BMR at their low weight. I would 100% expect someone to have a lower BMR at 200 pounds then at 400 pounds.

In the article they their BMR was 800 less than they would EXPECT for someone at that weight. They are comparing against the average not that persons BMR at that weight before they got large.

Oh I get it. Thanks for the explanation.