Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the Insulin Theory of Obesity Over?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    At my age I have no idea how I evolved into a "carboholic" in my case but I expect in my case it had something to do with my gut microbial make up and that is the reason I still start each day with 600 calories from just coconut oil of my 2500+ daily calories to maintain at 200 like I have for the past year.

Many can take or leave carbs but my craving for carbs lead me to suicidal eating of them. While I understand LCHF Way Of Eating is for very few people, I think it worked in my case due to the fact for the last 1.5 years it cut my cravings for carbs to ZERO unlike the prior 63 years of my life. Managing my pain well this WOE is a no brainer in my case. As a kid I burned all of the carbs I eat on a daily bases by hard work on the farm. In hindsight the arthritis started around age 15 but it took another 10 years to figure out that and another 38 years to figure out it was due to my abusing of carbs.

Calling others names just illustrates the emotional level of operating of the one calling others names.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Why is it always assumed that those not following low carb diets are always hungry.

I use three points of evidence - one is the reduced calorie consumption of ad-lib low carb arms of diet studies where subjects have a habit of eating less than the calorie limited low fat arm.

The 2nd is this place, the "OMG I would eat my arm off on 1300 calories" response.

3rd is the carboholic vegetarians that I can never get out of the damned kitchen as they eat continually.

So these measures tell me what at least a sample of other people do, though as always the sample variation will be high. Do you have butter on your baked potato ? I think there's a study of potato satiety that points to that being helpful.

You know, that doesn't necessarily lead to "fat keeps you less hungry".
    Too fatty cuts of meat make me nauseous for example, taht would also lead to less ad-lib intake but not for the desired reasons.

One reason I almost never eat bacon is that I find it completely non satiating. I don't know that that's macro-related as I find eggs (which I eat most mornings -- 2 eggs with vegetables and feta cheese) quite filling.

I find most meats quite satiating (including chicken with skin).
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    Options
    At my age I have no idea how I evolved into a "carboholic" in my case but I expect in my case it had something to do with my gut microbial make up and that is the reason I still start each day with 600 calories from just coconut oil of my 2500+ daily calories to maintain at 200 like I have for the past year.

Many can take or leave carbs but my craving for carbs lead me to suicidal eating of them. While I understand LCHF Way Of Eating is for very few people, I think it worked in my case due to the fact for the last 1.5 years it cut my cravings for carbs to ZERO unlike the prior 63 years of my life. Managing my pain well this WOE is a no brainer in my case. As a kid I burned all of the carbs I eat on a daily bases by hard work on the farm. In hindsight the arthritis started around age 15 but it took another 10 years to figure out that and another 38 years to figure out it was due to my abusing of carbs.

Calling others names just illustrates the emotional level of operating of the one calling others names.

So when you were craving "carbs" would carrots have sufficed? Or was it specific "carbs"?

I've never had a craving for a macronutrient, so I always find this claim interesting.

I haven't noticed any name calling here.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

my personal stance has always been that LCHF or ketogenic hypocaloric diets appear to suppress hunger, rather than any issue about an individual meal or food in isolation.

Individual meals can be (and have been ) tested, but typically in a single dietary context.

I guess the question comes down when switching to lchf or keto is there a subsquent increase in protein and/or fiber due to the severe restriction of a macronutrient.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

So when you were craving "carbs" would carrots have sufficed? Or was it specific "carbs"?

I've never had a craving for a macronutrient, so I always find this claim interesting.

I'm not the one you asked, but for me it was straight up pure sugar OR high sugar/high fat that I craved. Complex carbs, which absorb more slowly, just didn't cut it. By stepping down my carb intake I was able to negate the cravings for both. In my worst binges I would eat jello or juice powder right out of the box. Or sugar by the spoonful from the container.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So not really just "carbs." That makes more sense to me, even though I can't imagine consuming pure sugar (include powders that are basically sugar).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

my personal stance has always been that LCHF or ketogenic hypocaloric diets appear to suppress hunger, rather than any issue about an individual meal or food in isolation.

Individual meals can be (and have been ) tested, but typically in a single dietary context.

I guess the question comes down when switching to lchf or keto is there a subsquent increase in protein and/or fiber due to the severe restriction of a macronutrient.

Fibre I would say is similar, could go either way. Less cereal, potentially more veg.

Protein perhaps goes up, depends on the individual. People disposed towards LCHF tend not to be eating low protein to start with.

Low carb used to be the de facto weight loss approach in the UK, papers from >40 years ago show an ad-lib diet such as :-

"The macronutrient consumption was 83 grams of protein, 105 grams of fat and 67 grams of carbohydrate. Putting this into percentages of overall intake, we find that diet was 21.3% protein, 60.6% fat and 17.1% carbohydrate. The energy intake was 1560 calories per day, "
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

I'm not the one you asked, but for me it was straight up pure sugar OR high sugar/high fat that I craved. Complex carbs, which absorb more slowly, just didn't cut it. By stepping down my carb intake I was able to negate the cravings for both. In my worst binges I would eat jello or juice powder right out of the box. Or sugar by the spoonful from the container.

I used to crave rice. And bread. Pasta. Potatoes. Fruit. Crackers. I craved the sweets and the sweet/fat combo stuff too, but I craved all the carbs. I didn't discriminate. I may be odd tho.

ETA - I could never make larger batches of rice <smh>. I'd figure it takes just as much time to make a big batch as a small one, so why not make a big batch and portion it out to use at a couple other meals, right? Yeah.... Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options
    So not really just "carbs." That makes more sense to me, even though I can't imagine consuming pure sugar (include powders that are basically sugar).

It seriously grosses me out now.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I used to crave rice. And bread. Pasta. Potatoes. Fruit. Crackers. I craved the sweets and the sweet/fat combo stuff too, but I craved all the carbs. I didn't discriminate. I may be odd tho.

ETA - I could never make larger batches of rice <smh>. I'd figure it takes just as much time to make a big batch as a small one, so why not make a big batch and portion it out to use at a couple other meals, right? Yeah.... Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.

I am the opposite. I crave sirloins, prime rib, boneless chicken wings, bacon, ahi tuna, more steak. Although, my one exception is I love me a Klondike, but those cravings are rare
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Options

I am the opposite. I crave sirloins, prime rib, boneless chicken wings, bacon, ahi tuna, more steak. Although, my one exception is I love me a Klondike, but those cravings are rare

I do sort of crave that stuff but a little goes a long way. They aren't binge foods for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I do sort of crave that stuff but a little goes a long way. They aren't binge foods for me.

They aren't binges for me.. only about 12-15 oz.. depending on how hungry I am that day.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I don't crave meat. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong (and I can get very excited about certain things - chicken wings for example). But I used to just automatically reach for sugar and starch (didn't really crave fiber so much, although as a child I was one to grab a shredded wheat biscuit - you know the big ones - and just snack on it.... that probably should have told me something, lol). And since much of what I was eating was "complex" carbs, I didn't see how it could be the problem (since conventional wisdom tells us how "good" those are), and so I'd reduce fats further, and crave starches all the more. Once I reduced carbs overall, I was able to see what had been my issue all along. Now I can have a bit of rice with my dinner from time to time, end it, and not want any more. There's some leftover roast potatoes in my fridge right now (my husband and kids don't eat low carb). I have no desire to touch them. It's really pretty cool :)

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Alan Aragon posted this James Fell article today.....

An Open Letter To Low Carb Zealot Gary Taubes......Even Ted Cruz knows when he’s beat, but do you?

http://www.bodyforwife.com/an-open-letter-to-gary-taubes/

Just a snippet

"What I’m talking about, as you and everyone who is interested in the low carb debate is aware of, is how your own NuSi funded metabolic ward study found that the insulin hypothesis of obesity is BS. It’s not carbs fault that people are fat, but too many calories. The study actually found that the ketogenic diet was worse than a normal carbohydrate diet for fat loss."
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Not sure but most often I went for processed foods with added sugar and or grains. If the cravings were bad gut flora related then I doubt the carbs I craved were from whole foods.

I can see how one who has never had controlling cravings for any foods would be at a loss to understand it. Now that I no longer have cravings it is getting harder to remember what the cravings were like.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    @Wetcoaster is the latest Hall study published, or are these biased commentators just repeating their biased view ?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @Wetcoaster is the latest Hall study published, or are these biased commentators just repeating their biased view ?

They are various people reporting on the results.