Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the Insulin Theory of Obesity Over?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    At my age I have no idea how I evolved into a "carboholic" in my case but I expect in my case it had something to do with my gut microbial make up and that is the reason I still start each day with 600 calories from just coconut oil of my 2500+ daily calories to maintain at 200 like I have for the past year.

Many can take or leave carbs but my craving for carbs lead me to suicidal eating of them. While I understand LCHF Way Of Eating is for very few people, I think it worked in my case due to the fact for the last 1.5 years it cut my cravings for carbs to ZERO unlike the prior 63 years of my life. Managing my pain well this WOE is a no brainer in my case. As a kid I burned all of the carbs I eat on a daily bases by hard work on the farm. In hindsight the arthritis started around age 15 but it took another 10 years to figure out that and another 38 years to figure out it was due to my abusing of carbs.

Calling others names just illustrates the emotional level of operating of the one calling others names.

So when you were craving "carbs" would carrots have sufficed? Or was it specific "carbs"?

I've never had a craving for a macronutrient, so I always find this claim interesting.

I haven't noticed any name calling here.

Not sure but most often I went for processed foods with added sugar and or grains. If the cravings were bad gut flora related then I doubt the carbs I craved were from whole foods.

So it's inaccurate to refer to it as a "carb" craving, it seems to me. You were craving specific types of foods that were probably made up of fat as well as processed flour or sugar (or both).

Not simply "carbs."

+1
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    At my age I have no idea how I evolved into a "carboholic" in my case but I expect in my case it had something to do with my gut microbial make up and that is the reason I still start each day with 600 calories from just coconut oil of my 2500+ daily calories to maintain at 200 like I have for the past year.

Many can take or leave carbs but my craving for carbs lead me to suicidal eating of them. While I understand LCHF Way Of Eating is for very few people, I think it worked in my case due to the fact for the last 1.5 years it cut my cravings for carbs to ZERO unlike the prior 63 years of my life. Managing my pain well this WOE is a no brainer in my case. As a kid I burned all of the carbs I eat on a daily bases by hard work on the farm. In hindsight the arthritis started around age 15 but it took another 10 years to figure out that and another 38 years to figure out it was due to my abusing of carbs.

Calling others names just illustrates the emotional level of operating of the one calling others names.

So when you were craving "carbs" would carrots have sufficed? Or was it specific "carbs"?

I've never had a craving for a macronutrient, so I always find this claim interesting.

I'm not the one you asked, but for me it was straight up pure sugar OR high sugar/high fat that I craved. Complex carbs, which absorb more slowly, just didn't cut it. By stepping down my carb intake I was able to negate the cravings for both. In my worst binges I would eat jello or juice powder right out of the box. Or sugar by the spoonful from the container.

I used to crave rice. And bread. Pasta. Potatoes. Fruit. Crackers. I craved the sweets and the sweet/fat combo stuff too, but I craved all the carbs. I didn't discriminate. I may be odd tho.

ETA - I could never make larger batches of rice <smh>. I'd figure it takes just as much time to make a big batch as a small one, so why not make a big batch and portion it out to use at a couple other meals, right? Yeah.... Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.

I am the opposite. I crave sirloins, prime rib, boneless chicken wings, bacon, ahi tuna, more steak. Although, my one exception is I love me a Klondike, but those cravings are rare

I love steak etc. The difference for me, if I eat a 6 ounce, or 8 ounce sirloin, I don't then start craving another meat.
    If I eat tortilla chips, then I'm craving some other refined grain, and then another and then another.
    for me (refined) carbs beget (refined) carbs.
    Doesn't particularly happen if I have fruit.
    Definitely doesn't happen if I have a yummy vegetable.
    Pretty much only foods that are primarily refined carbs, or refined carbs/fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »

I'm not the one you asked, but for me it was straight up pure sugar OR high sugar/high fat that I craved. Complex carbs, which absorb more slowly, just didn't cut it. By stepping down my carb intake I was able to negate the cravings for both. In my worst binges I would eat jello or juice powder right out of the box. Or sugar by the spoonful from the container.

I used to crave rice. And bread. Pasta. Potatoes. Fruit. Crackers. I craved the sweets and the sweet/fat combo stuff too, but I craved all the carbs. I didn't discriminate. I may be odd tho.

ETA - I could never make larger batches of rice <smh>. I'd figure it takes just as much time to make a big batch as a small one, so why not make a big batch and portion it out to use at a couple other meals, right? Yeah.... Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.

I am the opposite. I crave sirloins, prime rib, boneless chicken wings, bacon, ahi tuna, more steak. Although, my one exception is I love me a Klondike, but those cravings are rare

I love steak etc. The difference for me, if I eat a 6 ounce, or 8 ounce sirloin, I don't then start craving another meat.
    If I eat tortilla chips, then I'm craving some other refined grain, and then another and then another.
    for me (refined) carbs beget (refined) carbs.
    Doesn't particularly happen if I have fruit.
    Definitely doesn't happen if I have a yummy vegetable.
    Pretty much only foods that are primarily refined carbs, or refined carbs/fat.

For me it's never just carbs. I never crave a potato, but a potato that has been sliced up, roasted with oil and has salt sprinkled on it... LOOK OUT! Potato chips, doritos, cookies, cakes, chocolate ice cream etc... Foods that contain carbs, fats and salts...

Generally speaking, I think the foods that most people crave and call carbs are really a combo of carbs, fat and salt...

That definitely factors in, but for me, the potato doesn't really do it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    @Wetcoaster is the latest Hall study published, or are these biased commentators just repeating their biased view ?

They are various people reporting on the results.

they have access to the results, or are part of a PR campaign ?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    @Wetcoaster is the latest Hall study published, or are these biased commentators just repeating their biased view ?

The study has been available since monday.
  • yarwell
    Options

Where is it published ?
  • yarwell
    Options
    wrong link that's the Biggest Loser thing
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    You say it is "always assumed"--well, there might be something to it then?

This is exactly why snopes exists. :#
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    wrong link that's the Biggest Loser thing

Oh you're right, I mistook the two because it's both Hall and very recent.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Where is it published ?

I don't think its publicly released. Its possible that people are either privied to advanced copies or they are making assessments based on the webchat video. Either way, i dont put stake in the reviews but rather KHs discussion on the parameters and results of the study.
  • yarwell
    Options

Where is it published ?

I don't think its publicly released. Its possible that people are either privied to advanced copies or they are making assessments based on the webchat video. Either way, i dont put stake in the reviews but rather KHs discussion on the parameters and results of the study.

Here's the published (poster) abstract :-

KD-Hall-abstract.png
  • yarwell
    Options
    and the poster :-

xhr80btnnmgl.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

xhr80btnnmgl.jpg

Thanks, this seems to be consistent with what kh discussed in his interview.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    These are high quality studies designed to test a hypothesis and they do that very well. I think any reasonable person would conclude the same thing Hall has. Low carb diets to not work by providing a metabolic advantage, everything to date indicates they work by a spontaneous reduction in appetite.

I spoke too soon - a very reasonable person does not agree with Hall's conclusion. I'm definitely looking forward to what people have to say once the full paper is published.

Contradictions and Cognitive Dissonance: The (Kevin) Hall Effect
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the twisting of the data results by Kevin Hall had anything to do with Dr. Peter Attia leaving the group first of 2016? Over time I have found Dr. Attia to be a non BS type of guy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

xhr80btnnmgl.jpg

Thanks, this seems to be consistent with what kh discussed in his interview.

Sort of.... He seemed to stress some things in the interview that was not the main result of the the experiment, the main result being that energy expenditure (CO) increases following an isocaloric ketogenic diet in overweight and obese men.

I'm looking forward to seeing the full paper so I can get a clearer picture of what he did and did not do, and what all of his results are.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but for most people eating nothing but fruits and vegetables with a little lean meat thrown in is not sustainable over the long haul. I believe most people on MFP are not here for a "diet", meaning to lose weight then go back to their way of eating and regain the weight plus more, but to find a way of eating that will last a lifetime and help maintain their goal weight once it has been reached. It seems to me that many of these studies, whether it is low-carb, low-fat, or whatever tend to be grabbed and misunderstood by the public and become a marketing tool. Case in point, the current gluten free craze. There are people who have a definite medical need to remove gluten from their diet but for most it is not necessary. When I see a "gluten-free" label on things like meat and milk I have to laugh.