Can you be a runner and still have a rear ?

Options

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have always had a bad case of "noassatol". Whether I run or not, no *kitten*. If I stop running I can only get a beer gut. So I say yes it's genetics.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Can you get the same results from running treadmill at highest incline as running hills ?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Strange. I see rears of many kinds at half marathons and full marathons, some seriously great looking ones too. Same as the variations in other areas of physique at these events as well. Yeah, I'm never in front so I see a great many rears. There may have been an occasion or two where people have picked up their pace a bit on a certain stretch just to keep a certain bouncy rear in view. Not that I am saying that is myself, mind you. Maybe treadmills are the problem, and not necessarily running? :lol:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I look at the girls on the treadmill all I see are flat rears

So pay less attention to the bodies of women on treadmills and pay more attention to your own routine, which should include resistance training for the muscles in your rear.

It's hard to not notice that's what scares me away from the treadmills and straight to the squat rack

I guess I don't have that much to offer you then. . . I am one of those people who minds my own business in the gym. If I want specific results, I research how to get them. I don't assume that I know the diet and routine of people on a specific piece of equipment or that the specific exercise they're going is what gave them the result I may or may not want to accomplish myself.

There are tons of people who do cardio and have rears. If you want to be one, fine. If you want to continue with your assumptions about other women, that's fine too.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    When I look at the girls on the treadmill all I see are flat rears

Try looking at sprinters.

Actually, don't. It's pointless without knowing how they work beyond the short time sprinting on the track.

If you want to keep or improve your butt, you have to work your butt. Long distance running does this if you've got a good amount of incline. If not, you can add in sprints (assuming you've got the running base for it) or you can add a glute strengthening routine (weights or body weight).

Look up Brett Contreras if you decide to do the weight routine.

Thank you I'll look that up yes I don't know what they do beyond running but I do see them everyday on it
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I have always had a bad case of "noassatol". Whether I run or not, no *kitten*. If I stop running I can only get a beer gut. So I say yes it's genetics.

I have worked to get it don't want to lose it over trying to drop body fat faster
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Really? "Kitten"??? Please replace kitten with A. S. S. and you'll have the correct link.

Jebus...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I keep my kitty away from the treadmill (or MFP spam filter strikes again).
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Really? "Kitten"??? Please replace kitten with A. S. S. and you'll have the correct link.

Jebus...

I don't care who you are, that there is funny.

...And duly noted on the RDLs contribution to the booty. I do most of my cardio on an Arc set for the mountain climb workout, or x-train on the elliptical (and do my sporadic running in the real world) so it might not present the same dangers as the treadmill.
  • lizzelspark
    Options

Jebus...

Lol I'll look it up if I can find it
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Well that obese cat lost 4 pounds on that treadmill so maybe I'll give it a try
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not blessed in thatdepartment, but by fitting in weights sessions I now have the best butt I've ever had in my 26 years; achieved whilst also training to get from not running 30 seconds to running 13.1 miles, so if I can improve the look and shape of my flat-as-a-pancake-even-when-chubby backside whilst running a lot, anyone can.

Plenty of women have better bums that I do, but a big proportion of that is probably genetic so there's no point me stressing about it.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Thank you all for your input I'll give it another try :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Then directly train your glutes with hip thrusts, pull throughs, and glute bridges. The glutes are a rather large muscle group and respond well to weight training. Are you squatting?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    LOL, I had zero butt before I started running. 30-40 miles per week has given me some roundness for the first time in my life. It doesn't even look like I'm the same person from behind.

I'm certainly not genetically gifted in that area and am still looking better every day from the ~8 months I've been running (and I do virtually no lower-body strength work or compound lifts.)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's mainly genetics. When I was young and very thin (in the 90s), my butt was still larger than I liked. A ___ once called out at me as I was running on the street, saying I'd "never run that fat ___ off."
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Jebus...

I was wondering why anyone would use such a dumb name.