Can you be a runner and still have a rear ?

Options

Replies

• aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, full depth squats in particular.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Then directly train your glutes with hip thrusts, pull throughs, and glute bridges. The glutes are a rather large muscle group and respond well to weight training. Are you squatting?

3 days a week I work my glutes but I'm really wanting to drop the body fat now just don't want to lose what I worked for last time I started running every day it started going flat I just don't know what that balance is that I can do both at the same time
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Your butt didn't go flat overnight. Run and train your glutes and it will work. The running will condition you and help you lose weight by giving you more calories to eat and still lose. The direct glute training will make sure your rear end is round and firm once the weight comes off. If you want an excellent lifting program that addresses your concern use Strong Curves by Bret Contreras.
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    It's mainly genetics. When I was young and very thin (in the 90s), my butt was still larger than I liked. A ___ once called out at me as I was running on the street, saying I'd "never run that fat ___ off."

That's the figure I have been working my butt off for :) that was very rude of that person to say
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I run and have a flat rear....I also lift so for me it's genetics (my mum is same shape)
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    LOL, I had zero butt before I started running. 30-40 miles per week has given me some roundness for the first time in my life. It doesn't even look like I'm the same person from behind.

I'm certainly not genetically gifted in that area and am still looking better every day from the ~8 months I've been running (and I do virtually no lower-body strength work or compound lifts.)

that's great:) I think I just need to try it again I really loved running
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    And since when was is the word *kitten* not allowed to be used?? I mean seriously it's in the Bible albeit in a different meaning but ya know what I mean! It's hardly a cuss word!

And where the heck did kitten ever get to mean the same???? Mind boggling. ..sigghh
  • lizzelspark
    Options
    aashwill wrote: »
    Lift weights, full depth squats in particular.

Squats still scare me I always wonder will I be able to lift the weight but I really love them
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's mainly genetics. When I was young and very thin (in the 90s), my butt was still larger than I liked. A ___ once called out at me as I was running on the street, saying I'd "never run that fat ___ off."

That's the figure I have been working my butt off for :) that was very rude of that person to say

Thank you. It was mean and made me even more self-conscious about exercising in public. Squats can also help to an extent.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited May 2016
    Options
    And since when was is the word *kitten* not allowed to be used?? I mean seriously it's in the Bible albeit in a different meaning but ya know what I mean! It's hardly a cuss word!

And where the heck did kitten ever get to mean the same???? Mind boggling. ..sigghh

Yes mfp now changes words automatically! !! It changed the word *kitten* to kitten! !!!!! I had to use dollar signs to get it to stay as is!

• lizzelspark
    Options

Thank you. It was mean and made me even more self-conscious about exercising in public. Squats can also help to an extent.

You might have only heard that but I'm sure there are many going by you that you are motivating them to get out there and exercise too so don't ever be self conscious I love seeing ones exercise
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited May 2016
    Options
    .deleted
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Heh, Balaam and his talking kitten. Palm Sunday, when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a kitten. Hmm.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Grrr ridiculing overweight people because they are exercising just makes me see red :mad: My first thought is "good on you for getting out and doing something". And they shouldn't give a flying flip what some close minded pig has to say!!!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Everyone tells me I need to do more cardio but I don't want a flat one

Genetics mostly.

Yep. I have a very ample rear and I run.

Me too!
  • lizzelspark
    Options

Genetics mostly.

Me too!

Do you feel you have to squat more to keep it up ? Or you just genetically got it ?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've had a big butt since the dawn of time. Had one when I was obese and I have one now. I also run and lift, but that doesn't really matter because my booty is genetics.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You want to run better and have a nice butt? Hip Thrusts.

I am not a runner but I occasionally run 2-3 miles at a time. I noticed less fatigue and better running efficiency after training glutes for a couple months. The glute activation seems to generate more power and speed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Genetics mostly.

Me too!

Do you feel you have to squat more to keep it up ? Or you just genetically got it ?

I was agreeing with it being genetics.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Genetics mostly.

Me too!

I've genetically got it, I'm a pear shape so hips and bum is the last place I lose from. I always used to wish my bum was flatter, luckily for me big bums seem to have become the fashion!