Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    rahmat805 wrote: »
    Hello friends, many people say that there is good and bad fat in the foods. Could you advise please whether that's true. If so we should avoid the bad one.thx.

That's not clearly known. Some studies have indicated that saturated fats are worse for you than unsaturated fats, but other studies challenge those conclusions. What is certain is that particular unsaturated fats, especially omega-3 and omega-6 unsaturated fats, are required by your body but cannot be produced by your body, so you need to consume these in your diet. Your body also tends to use unsaturated fats for other things like making your cell membranes. Saturated fats don't have any special chemical properties that make them useful for other reasons than as storage of calories.

Trans fats are believed to be the least healthy form of fat, and many nations, including the US, are banning the inclusion of artificial trans-fats in foods.

@rankinsect , I notice the various types of fat in my diary do not add up to the total fat grams. Is there another type we do not keep track of in the MFP diaries, or is it just bad entries?

Not all labels show all unsaturated fat. Per FDA regulations, total fat must be shown, as must saturated fat and trans fat, but unsaturated fat is not required, nor is it required to break unsaturated fat into mono- or poly-unsaturated fats.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hello friends, many people say that there is good and bad fat in the foods. Could you advise please whether that's true. If so we should avoid the bad one.thx.

That's not clearly known. Some studies have indicated that saturated fats are worse for you than unsaturated fats, but other studies challenge those conclusions. What is certain is that particular unsaturated fats, especially omega-3 and omega-6 unsaturated fats, are required by your body but cannot be produced by your body, so you need to consume these in your diet. Your body also tends to use unsaturated fats for other things like making your cell membranes. Saturated fats don't have any special chemical properties that make them useful for other reasons than as storage of calories.

Trans fats are believed to be the least healthy form of fat, and many nations, including the US, are banning the inclusion of artificial trans-fats in foods.

@rankinsect , I notice the various types of fat in my diary do not add up to the total fat grams. Is there another type we do not keep track of in the MFP diaries, or is it just bad entries?

Not all labels show all unsaturated fat. Per FDA regulations, total fat must be shown, as must saturated fat and trans fat, but unsaturated fat is not required, nor is it required to break unsaturated fat into mono- or poly-unsaturated fats.

Thanks! So if the entry is correct and there's zero trans fat, anything not sat fat is unsaturated?
  • rankinsect
    Options
    Hi, I like your quote "just make sure those callories comes from healthy, wholesome foods". I just dont want to be over confidence on callories control while neglecting food/drink contents. Also many thanks for advice to maximize unsaturated fats, minimize saturated fats, and if possible avoid trans fats. I just googling, unsat fats: olives, nuts, avocado, seeds, tuna fish, vegetable oils, etc. Sat fats: beef, coconut oil, milk fat, butter, cream, palm oil, shortening, chicken, etc. Trans fat: in many cakes, cookies, etc.

Depending on where you live in the world, trans fats may be nonexistent. They're basically eliminated in most of Europe and the United States is phasing them out, with a full ban in 2018. On the other hand, they're far more prevalent in nations like India where their positive qualities (excellent preservation and shelf life, good temperature stability, low cost) tend to keep the demand up.
  • rankinsect
    Options

Thanks! So if the entry is correct and there's zero trans fat, anything not sat fat is unsaturated?

Yes, except of course for rounding errors - e.g. you might have 3g sat, 4g unsaturated, 6g total depending on whether things are rounding up or down.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I look at everything including fat, but one needs fat for absorption of fat soluble vitamins and brain health. I think it's better to be sort of balanced. Having said that, my 2 most successful weight loss times were at age 11 (yes) on Atkins and at age 30 on very low fat. Both times I got really thin.

But is it really successful if you don't keep the weight off?
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    TheopolisAmbroiseIII Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    I haven't even bothered searching what a gluten is. .-.
    That's all gibberish to me >.> lol

Gluten is a protein in wheat. It, along with glutenin, are what give a wheat dough its stretchy texture. In some people with diseases like celiac, it causes severe GI distress.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My confuse, in the mfp formula if i add an excersize 500 callories for instance, does it mean that I can eat +500 more callories out of daily limit? Pls advise and thanks.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    My confuse, in the mfp formula if i add an excersize 500 callories for instance, does it mean that I can eat +500 more callories out of daily limit? Pls advise and thanks.

Technically yes, but MFP is notorious for overestimating calorie burns, so I would suggest only eating half - 250 extra calories.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Because fat is awesome! Check my diary.
    I eat 60% fat in my diet and have lost 35 pounds
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Amazing...
    Because fat is awesome! Check my diary.
    I eat 60% fat in my diet and have lost 35 pounds

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    Drives me so crazy when people think dietary fat makes you fat. Carbohydrates are the worst macronutrient.
    It drives you crazy when people demonize one macronutrient while you demonize a different one?

30 years ago, carbs were king and fat was terrible. That wasn't any more right or wrong than the reverse thinking that's widely disseminated now.

I blame Susan Powter for my decades-long fear of fat.

susan-powter_l.jpg

It's MUCH more complicated for that, but she did capitalize on it. Read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. He lays it out very elegantly.

I love Michael Pollan. It's been a while since I read "In Defense of Food" so I've put it on hold at my library.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks and i need time to think and understand that. Because It is different from information i got so far and my friend's dietary practices.

I remember low fat diets from decades ago. They were definitely a thing......but now they are a very old fashioned thing.

There is so much better information now. I remember when the bad fat was saturated fat.....trans-fats weren't even studied.

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    @Noel_57 I have diagnosed celiac disease and you have my permission to go there. The GF trend has made my grocery shopping experiences much easier, but it is more difficult than ever to eat out because people will insist that they are gluten free, but still eat croutons on a salad. I have developed the habit of telling servers that this is an allergy, not a prefernce and that no wheat anything can touch my plate. I need my salad made fresh, no croissant or dinner roll or hush puppy, no gravy. And I send it back to the kitchen if it is wrong.

Obviously, having eliminated wheat, barley and rye from my diet, carbs are not a big macro for me. I eat mostly protein and more fat than most people, I think. But that's me. I actually gained weight after my diagnosis because I could get the nutrients out of my food.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks and i need time to think and understand that. Because It is different from information i got so far and my friend's dietary practices.

Lots of good solid information given w scientific explanations. Use it and maybe your friends will choose to model their dietary practices on yours instead of the reverse. You're asking questions and researching so you're on the right path.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    My latest question is this one..
    Some already replied yes, can you confirm pls?

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

Sadly, just because the label says there's "0" grams of trans fats, doesn't mean there isn't any. Per the labeling law/policy established in the US, a food can have up to .5 grams of trans fat per serving and still say they have "0." Evidence of our powerful food lobby as many of them just needed to reduced their serving size and not really change the makeup of their foods to meet the new standard and not scare anyone away from their products. :rage:

If you want to avoid trans fats completely, read the label and don't eat it if it says "partially hydrogenated" anything.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My latest question is this one..
    Some already replied yes, can you confirm pls?

If you add the exercise to MFP, it will increase your calories automatically and you can eat what it tells you. I don't recommend eating them all though because MFP can give high and inaccurate calories for exercise. eating half of them would be safe.

Example:
    let's assume MFP has given you 2000 calories as a goal.
    You exercise, enter you exercise into MFP, and it happens to be 500 calories
    MFP will automatically give you a 2500 allowance (2000+500)
    You can eat 2500, but it's safer to eat 2250
  • rahmat_hidayat
    Options
    Thanks for enlighten...
  • Lenco007
    Lenco007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and for the longest time treated carbs as the enemy. In November my dietician helped me understand the role nutrients play in my diet and why it is more important to look at the overall picture rather than concentrating on just one component. Carbs, Fat, and Protein can be good or bad, depending upon the quality and quantity we consume. She also directed me to this site for am easy way to track my progress as well as testing my blood sugar twice a day to detect changes in how my body reacts to different foods.

As I result, I now eat a more balanced diet which, to date has resulted in a reduction in weight (49 pounds) and a more normal A1c level (from 13.3 down to 6.6). I still have a long way to go, but find everyone at MFP is there to support and help educate me.

It may sound too simple and silly, but for me this works. It is still a daily struggle (I love my cakes and cookies) but now I feel better prepared to deal with my occasional slip ups on diet.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Lenco007 wrote: »
    I am diabetic and for the longest time treated carbs as the enemy. In November my dietician helped me understand the role nutrients play in my diet and why it is more important to look at the overall picture rather than concentrating on just one component. Carbs, Fat, and Protein can be good or bad, depending upon the quality and quantity we consume. She also directed me to this site for am easy way to track my progress as well as testing my blood sugar twice a day to detect changes in how my body reacts to different foods.

As I result, I now eat a more balanced diet which, to date has resulted in a reduction in weight (49 pounds) and a more normal A1c level (from 13.3 down to 6.6). I still have a long way to go, but find everyone at MFP is there to support and help educate me.

It may sound too simple and silly, but for me this works. It is still a daily struggle (I love my cakes and cookies) but now I feel better prepared to deal with my occasional slip ups on diet.

nope. sounds exactly like i would expect once someone decides to actually make a lifelong change and educate themselves about nutrition instead of following the never-ending "dieting" path.

This is exactly what's worked for me and countless others once we got to that "okay, no seriously, i'm going to change for good" stage.