Depressed and Frustrated - I don't think I'm losing weight like I should

Options
Back in 2011-2012, I lost 150 pounds using myfitnesspal. I maintained a healthy weight for a year and a half maybe, then I started college. I gained about 40 pounds with the initial stress of my classes, but I was working my way back down again. Then a year and a half ago, my family lost my brother. That was hard enough as it is, but it also made my mom physically sick for 6 months, vomiting nearly 24-7. I had to take her to the ER 5-6 nights a week so she could get fluids and IV medicine. They would admit her occasionally, find nothing wrong, and we'd be at the ER again the next night. (Found out the trauma triggered something called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, which she is managing pretty well now, thankfully.) Back to me, I ate and ate and ate to cope with everything, until my binges just become regular meals. A week ago, I weighed myself at 350 pounds. That's 50 pounds more than I have ever weighed before. I. Am. As. Big. As. A. House. I went back to myfitnesspal and started eating 1300-1500 calories. It's been a week now, and I'm down 8-9 pounds (which I realize is mostly water weight at this point).

The problem is: I lost that weight within three days. The rest of the week I have been teetering around 340-342. No change except for it being that time of month, still eating less than 1500 calories a day. I should be losing faster than this. I should be losing more consistently. What am I doing wrong? I'm really struggling with understanding why I'm not losing the same way as I did before. TOM never affected me in the past, so surely that's not the problem. I haven't yet started exercising, but even so, I should be at a large calorie deficit.

I know it's only the first week and the overall weight loss trend is what should matter, but I'm getting really discouraged. I'm starting to think maybe I've killed my metabolism and I'll be a fat, disgusting whale forever. Why else wouldn't I be losing weight like I used to?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just be patient. It didn't take a week to put the weight on, and it will take longer to get it off. Sorry about everything else. Weigh your food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hugs! Sorry for your loss.

You are doing great so far, just keep going. It's not going to come off all at once, patience sweetie!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    A week is not enough time to see changes all the time. Your body changes, and the rate which you lose may change also. Give it at least 3 weeks to a month first :)
  • SaraLikesSunsets
    SaraLikesSunsets Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It takes time. You didn't gain all that weight overnight, so of course you won't lose it overnight either. It is important to remember to have patience, even though it can be hard not to get discouraged when you feel like you are not losing weight fast enough. You should try to make sure you are drinking enough water (at least 8 cups of water per day), and getting enough sleep, if you are not already, and see if that helps.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You haven't killed your metabolism, you are doing great. Keep up the good work and keep going. Feel free to add me if you are looking for new friends x
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Just hang on in there a couple more days and I'm sure in no time at all you'll be giving a big sigh of relief and have a massive smile on your face. Even a downhill road has bumps along the way, just grit your teeth and keep on the right track for another week or so. I am so sure you'll look back on this post in a few weeks time another few lbs lighter and closer to your goal.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you've had a rough enough ride as it is, just be patient.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hang in there with all the stress and tragedy that takes a toll on the body too. All stress is cumulative.

As far as the fat loss we all have to learn to trust the process, it's a skill you need even more after you reach your goal so right now you have to keep practicing positive mindset and focus on proces and life victory, non scale victories, and do not focus on the scale. It's not the best tool and the sooner you take your happy ball back from the body weight scale the better off you will be for life. Don't give away your happy ball, to others or to the body weight scale.

If you want to focus on a scale, let it be the food scale.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »

The problem is: I lost that weight within three days. The rest of the week I have been teetering around 340-342. No change except for it being that time of month, still eating less than 1500 calories a day. I should be losing faster than this. I should be losing more consistently. What am I doing wrong? I'm really struggling with understanding why I'm not losing the same way as I did before. TOM never affected me in the past, so surely that's not the problem. I haven't yet started exercising, but even so, I should be at a large calorie deficit.

I know it's only the first week and the overall weight loss trend is what should matter, but I'm getting really discouraged. I'm starting to think maybe I've killed my metabolism and I'll be a fat, disgusting whale forever. Why else wouldn't I be losing weight like I used to?

You are older. Stop comparing to the past and just deal with what you are doing now.
    It has been only one week. You have lost 8-10 lbs even with your period. Your metabolism is just fine. That is a great start and nothing to be discouraged about. Just keep doing what you are doing and be patient.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the previous posters. 8-9 lb loss already? that is super fantastic! I would like to mention stress can cause hormonal fluctuations as well and that will affect your weight loss. Just take it 1 day at a time. Weigh in once a week or like me I officially weigh in once a month. But periodically weigh throughout. Just don't stress over it. Keep eating healthy, add some fun exercises that you see as fun and not a chore. You will be golden.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hugs all around!

As mentioned, weight loss is definitely not linear!

I'm back at it again after losing 40+lbs 3 years ago. After gaining nearly 30, I was at 222 Easter weekend. I committed to weighing every day, and boy are there some serious spikes!

Starting April 10th, I was 220. I slowly dropped down to 216.8 over 2 weeks (not consistently), and shot back up to 222 in 3 days. That was a combination of a crazy weekend (2 birthdays and a movie) and my TOM coming. I was super frustrated at first, then I came on here to vent and it picked me back up to keep going.

This morning I was down again to 216.2. So, when I hit the 1 month comparison next week, I still expect to have lost weight since I'm going to stick with it. And that is what is important, the overall trend. Day-to-day, or even week-to-week, it may not feel like any progress is being made. But overall, each day will accumulate into future success.

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you can't wreck your metabolism - your metabolism is designed to adapt. each time one loses weight, it's a bit different. that whole destroy your metabolism thing is sort of pseudo science, and the articles about the people on the biggest loser? those people were eating unsafely low calories while exercising for hours per day.

are you weighing and logging ALL your food and anything you drink with calories?

btw, i used to gain between 2 and 5 pounds of water every month during my period for decades, so this may not be the best time to judge whether or not you're losing.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think it will help if you focus more long term than short term. I, too, have given up on many a diet due to not losing as fast as I thought I should. I kick myself because if I would've stuck with it the first time I would be at my goal weight now:/ I saw someone posted awhile back that said the time will pass anyway, why not spend that time being good to your body:)
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's just hard to stop comparing this weight loss "journey" with the last one. I've been so depressed and stressed this past year that it certainly FEELS like I just woken up and noticed I gained all this weight overnight. I keep thinking I can just pick up where I left off (like walking 10,000 steps a day, doing high intensity cardio, lifting weights, etc.), and it's bumming me out that I am LITERALLY starting over. (I just went for a little walk that I previously wouldn't have even broken a sweat doing, so of course it sucks to realize how out of shape I've gotten -- now that I'm huffing and puffing with something so simple.) Perhaps I'm a little anxious too, because I joined an online "dietbet" and have to lose 13ish pounds this month (not including the 9 I've already lost).

I really appreciate everyone's feedback/advice/kind words. I've been tempted to lower my calories down to 1200... But it's only the first week. 1500 should be fine, especially for someone my size. I know this. I'm going to stay off the scale for a week or so. And, yes, I do weigh all my food, for those asking, and I overestimate whenever I'm not sure. :)

Thanks again. I'll come back with an update in a few weeks maybe.
  • 415sarahb2
    415sarahb2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for taking action and facing your problems - well done! You can do this! You are so young, and have a long and healthy life ahead of you. You have done an amazing job taking care of your mom through this terrible time, and now you need to focus on your health and taking care of yourself. You will be amazed by how forgiving and resilient your body is. The weight will come off. Focus on putting the past behind you and finding new coping mechanisms for stress - exercise and healthy eating will help for sure. And don't get frustrated or worry about stupid bets. You are doing this for YOU, and indirectly for your family since you need to be healthy in order to support them best.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I felt like this in a few previous unsuccessful tries at losing weight. It really is so much harder to lose weight now than it was in my 20s and 30s, and it kinda made me mad and whatnot. But there was no real choice but to work with this imperfect aging body I have now and do my best, and once I got that attitude I've kept making progress. I exhort you to do the same, original poster. Your metabolism isn't irreparably broken, and neither are you. Redouble your efforts and adjust your attitude as needed. Good luck as you sail on in your weight loss voyage.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh every day, I highly encourage using a program to "smooth" out the line. Something like happy scale (iOS app), libra (android app), or trendweight.com (website, connects to fitbit if you have one). I use happy scale since I have an iPhone. I tend to be the exact same weight for anywhere from 2-7 days and then I'll drop 0.5-1lb. Or I'll be the same weight for several days, go up a lb, go back down to the original weight, and then drop some weight. It's not a linear process, but using one of the resources above can help smooth out that line so you can see what your body is doing over time.

Aside from that, I'm sorry to hear about all the stress you've gone through! Definitely not an easy time and I'm glad things are getting better for you and your mom. Hang in there, talk with people here who are going through the same thing when you need to. I only have 1 friend who is also trying to lose weight, all of my other friends don't understand. But the people here do :smile: