Cooking spray is NOT zero calories...I can prove it...start counting it in your calorie count!

Options
Tweaking_Time
Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
For this example I am using Pam Olive Oil cooking spray and reading right off the (misleading) nutrition label.

Pam states that there are 5 oz. per can

Olive oil is 238 calories/ounce - so there is a total of 1,190 calories in a can of Pam

Serving size is 1/4 second spray

So...1,190 cal. /473 servings = 2.5158562367864693446088794926004 B) calories per serving

so...a one second spray is

4 x 2.516 = 10.06 calories/one second spray - lets just round that down to 10 calories/1-second spray

Don't believe it??? - the main ingredient is the list of ingredients is extra virgin olive oil.

OK - so this is not a huge number - but every little bit counts. I figure the cooking sprays use a 1/4 second spray serving (2.51 cal) and then figure that is split among 6 servings of food (0.42 cal.) - getting it down to their (misleading) zero calories.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Cool beans.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Why I stopped using sprays is because I can't count .25 of a second for a spray. I'd rather just pour 2 teaspoons of oil in the pan and not worry about it.
    This

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's a surprise that cooking oil has calories?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    H
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's pretty common knowledge that olive oil has calories...even if you spray it.

Yeah, this.

I've always counted it, but it's not crazy to decide that it's too few to bother with, as many do. (I do this with black coffee.) No one actually thinks the oil is calorie free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No - It's not a surprise that spray oils have calories.

What I was pointing out is how misleading the nutrition labels are. Do the math - never trust them.

If one understands how nutritional labels work, it's not really misleading. The information is out there if people actually care...most people don't care or even look at the nutritional labels on things. If it's less than 5 calories per serving, it is permissible to put zero calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's maybe the capital letters and exclamation mark about something that isn't actually unknown or surprising that gets a "so what?" reaction.

All food labelling is an estimate as is exercise calorie expenditure. If you want to bother about 10 cals then good for you but seems a little extreme to me. Bet your cycling calorie estimates are going to be more significant for example.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    aamb wrote: »
    all that math for 10 cals... I would probably burn that many doing the sums :)

^^^This :smiley:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing what you learned, Tweaking_Time, I'm sure it's news to some.

I didn't know when I started using MFP - I just assumed zero calories meant, well, zero calories. I don't use those spays anymore since I've moved away from the low-calorie-diet-food sort of mindset but I remember lots of sites like Skinnytaste using these sprays liberally in their recipes (which is why I bought them in the first place) and not counting the calories.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So? Do you use enough of it for it to make a difference? If yes, count it. If you use it as advertised, it's really not worth it getting worked up over.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    This really should be a concern for people who are close to their goal. I'm nowhere near that and I log it. But I also log my black coffee. Fifteen calories might seem like nothing, but it matters over the long haul and it matters a lot when you have to be strict with your deficit because you have no wiggle room. Cooking spray, coffee, a calorie here, a calorie there...it does add up.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Are you spraying so much spray that it's really going to affect you? Unless you just keep spraying it, 10 calories isn't a big deal.