Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Biggest loser?

derek1237654derek1237654 Posts: 234Member, Premium Member Posts: 234Member, Premium Member
What do people think about what they do on the biggest loser?
«13456

Replies

  • RaeBeeBabyRaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,350Member Member Posts: 4,350Member Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    What they do on the show? I think people are going to die. I think it's surprising they haven't.

    You think people are going to die on the show? Or just die in general because they are morbidly obese?
  • questionfearquestionfear Posts: 528Member Member Posts: 528Member Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    What they do on the show? I think people are going to die. I think it's surprising they haven't.

    You think people are going to die on the show? Or just die in general because they are morbidly obese?

    I think it's shocking the show hasn't killed someone yet. Some of the activities are very, very questionable even for fit people (like running a marathon in the desert, or their "run your fastest mile ever in 90 degree heat" type activities-that mile run sent one contestant to the hospital with heat stroke, IIRC).
  • PackerjohnPackerjohn Posts: 4,859Member Member Posts: 4,859Member Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    What they do on the show? I think people are going to die. I think it's surprising they haven't.

    You think people are going to die on the show? Or just die in general because they are morbidly obese?

    Both. Someone, despite what they do for medical monitoring, will die during the production
  • singingfluteladysingingflutelady Posts: 8,675Member Member Posts: 8,675Member Member
    also you don't gain "a good amount of muscle" on a deficit. You can gain some but not much.
  • Wickedfaery73Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184Member Member Posts: 184Member Member
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied

    Muscle does not take up less space than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A cubic inch of muscle weighs less than a cubic inch of fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied


    Your statement is looking at it from the POV of volume or size and when said like that is correct but when people say "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat" it's just not correct. They are 2 different concepts


    Unless I am missing something, If i am please explain it to this stupid old lady OK?
    edited May 2016
  • Wickedfaery73Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184Member Member Posts: 184Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied
    Cubic inch to cubic inch, it does.

    The more dense a substance is, the heavier it is per cubic inch.
    Everyone in the world who hears this phrase knows what is being communicated, that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, that a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat.

    Saying that one substance is heavier than another is simply the common way of communicating that it is more dense because, given equal volumes, the more dense substance will weigh more.

    Seriously, if you say "muscle is more dense than fat" and I say "muscle weighs more than fat," the fact is that we both mean the same thing and everyone understands what we're communicating.

    The pointless argument over symantics on this issue makes me stabby.
    It's not like people are spreading derp and woo by using the common vernacular. They're simply stating a fact but doing so in such a way that leaves an unspoken assumption (equal volumes) yet that everyone understands.

    I understand that, You would be surprised how many people that I have met that do NOT understand that.
  • MerrysixMerrysix Posts: 336Member Member Posts: 336Member Member
    Mostly I feel really sad that people (like on Biggest Loser) don't get the support and education (CICO) to eat and exercise in a healthy sustainable way for a LIFETIME. That's why I like MFP -- we can get the support here, learn there is no magic, only CICO and lifestyle change to support CICO including exercise. Also, I have found support here to get my own knowledgeable and realistic trainers that help me with my CICO, and particularly the exercise part of it (I love weightlifting w/out injury)! Also we see what works for people over the long haul, and how the maintainers keep it off (surprise, CICO).
  • Carlos_421Carlos_421 Posts: 5,074Member Member Posts: 5,074Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied
    Cubic inch to cubic inch, it does.

    The more dense a substance is, the heavier it is per cubic inch.
    Everyone in the world who hears this phrase knows what is being communicated, that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, that a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat.

    Saying that one substance is heavier than another is simply the common way of communicating that it is more dense because, given equal volumes, the more dense substance will weigh more.

    Seriously, if you say "muscle is more dense than fat" and I say "muscle weighs more than fat," the fact is that we both mean the same thing and everyone understands what we're communicating.

    The pointless argument over symantics on this issue makes me stabby.
    It's not like people are spreading derp and woo by using the common vernacular. They're simply stating a fact but doing so in such a way that leaves an unspoken assumption (equal volumes) yet that everyone understands.

    I understand that, You would be surprised how many people that I have met that do NOT understand that.

    I would be VERY surprised because I've never met a single one (and I've met a bunch of people).
  • singingfluteladysingingflutelady Posts: 8,675Member Member Posts: 8,675Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied
    Cubic inch to cubic inch, it does.

    The more dense a substance is, the heavier it is per cubic inch.
    Everyone in the world who hears this phrase knows what is being communicated, that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, that a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat.

    Saying that one substance is heavier than another is simply the common way of communicating that it is more dense because, given equal volumes, the more dense substance will weigh more.

    Seriously, if you say "muscle is more dense than fat" and I say "muscle weighs more than fat," the fact is that we both mean the same thing and everyone understands what we're communicating.

    The pointless argument over symantics on this issue makes me stabby.
    It's not like people are spreading derp and woo by using the common vernacular. They're simply stating a fact but doing so in such a way that leaves an unspoken assumption (equal volumes) yet that everyone understands.

    I understand that, You would be surprised how many people that I have met that do NOT understand that.

    I would be VERY surprised because I've never met a single one (and I've met a bunch of people).

    I have, but these are also the heavy lifting make you bulky, gain 10 lbs of muscle in a few months from walking and turn your fat into muscle )or vice versa) type of people
Sign In or Register to comment.