Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Biggest loser?

2456

Replies

  • Wickedfaery73Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184Member Member Posts: 184Member Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm very confused by this thread...how did it get into muscle vs fat?

    As to the OP, I think the show is dangerous and probably sets up a lot of viewers for unrealistic expectations or worse, copycatting. They basically starve the contestants and make them do incessant amounts of exercise...not good at all.

    1) Because I am an idiot, and can't read LOL

    2) Yes, the way they have these people lose weight is insane IMO . I know a girl right now that is only eating about 800 calories a day and exercising a lot. She is 5'7 and about 40 lbs overweight. I keep telling her there is no good reason that I know of to stress herself out like this but she wont listen. She's even said to me "Well thats how they do it on those TV shows"
  • lemurcat12lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886Member Member Posts: 30,886Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Saying that one substance is heavier than another is simply the common way of communicating that it is more dense because, given equal volumes, the more dense substance will weigh more.

    Seriously, if you say "muscle is more dense than fat" and I say "muscle weighs more than fat," the fact is that we both mean the same thing and everyone understands what we're communicating.

    The pointless argument over symantics on this issue makes me stabby.
    It's not like people are spreading derp and woo by using the common vernacular. They're simply stating a fact but doing so in such a way that leaves an unspoken assumption (equal volumes) yet that everyone understands.

    I could not agree more.

    No one thinks a lb of something has a different weight than a lb of something else. The same volume is implied when weights are compared (for other than specific objects/people).

    The reason "muscle weighs more than fat" is often a silly thing to say is that there's no reason to think you put on a lb or 2 of muscle in a short period of time (like a week), and people suggest that this is a possibility (usually from some mild cardio and at 1200 calories) all the time. Those people are wrong, but I'm sure they aren't confused about 1 lb=1 lb.
  • mommarnursemommarnurse Posts: 515Member, Premium Member Posts: 515Member, Premium Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    What they do on the show? I think people are going to die. I think it's surprising they haven't.

    You think people are going to die on the show? Or just die in general because they are morbidly obese?

    Die because of the ridiculous level of exercise they are put through. Everything about the program is unsustainable.

    I know they are being monitored by medical , but I always wonder how these people don't go into rhabdomyolysis.
  • mommarnursemommarnurse Posts: 515Member, Premium Member Posts: 515Member, Premium Member
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied

    Muscle does not take up less space than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A cubic inch of muscle weighs less than a cubic inch of fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied


    Your statement is looking at it from the POV of volume or size and when said like that is correct but when people say "a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat" it's just not correct. They are 2 different concepts


    Unless I am missing something, If i am please explain it to this stupid old lady OK?

    They weight the same. Muscle has more mass per surface area.
  • irenehbirenehb Posts: 236Member Member Posts: 236Member Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    What they do on the show? I think people are going to die. I think it's surprising they haven't.

    You think people are going to die on the show? Or just die in general because they are morbidly obese?

    Die because of the ridiculous level of exercise they are put through. Everything about the program is unsustainable.

    I know they are being monitored by medical , but I always wonder how these people don't go into rhabdomyolysis.

    Since rhabdomyolysis can have a genetic predisposition and it can be tested for with a dipstick in urine, it would not surprise me if contestants were tested prior the show for it. This would at least minimise the risk.
  • pixiestickpixiestick Posts: 839Member Member Posts: 839Member Member
    I used to feel motivated watching it, but I prefer extreme makeover now--mostly because the catty competitiveness and the artificial nature of the "week" sets unrealistic expectations.
  • yarwellyarwell Posts: 10,573Member Member Posts: 10,573Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The Biggest Loser boils down to this:

    If people did it on their own at home, they'd be diagnosed with an eating disorder.

    an exercise disorder actually, exercise bulimia. Their food intake isn't ridiculous, but the exercise is.
  • yarwellyarwell Posts: 10,573Member Member Posts: 10,573Member Member

    They weight the same. Muscle has more mass per surface area.

    oh gawd, now you're bringing shape into it as well.
  • GamlielaGamliela Posts: 2,487Member Member Posts: 2,487Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Saying that one substance is heavier than another is simply the common way of communicating that it is more dense because, given equal volumes, the more dense substance will weigh more.

    Seriously, if you say "muscle is more dense than fat" and I say "muscle weighs more than fat," the fact is that we both mean the same thing and everyone understands what we're communicating.

    The pointless argument over symantics on this issue makes me stabby.
    It's not like people are spreading derp and woo by using the common vernacular. They're simply stating a fact but doing so in such a way that leaves an unspoken assumption (equal volumes) yet that everyone understands.

    I could not agree more.

    No one thinks a lb of something has a different weight than a lb of something else. The same volume is implied when weights are compared (for other than specific objects/people).

    The reason "muscle weighs more than fat" is often a silly thing to say is that there's no reason to think you put on a lb or 2 of muscle in a short period of time (like a week), and people suggest that this is a possibility (usually from some mild cardio and at 1200 calories) all the time. Those people are wrong, but I'm sure they aren't confused about 1 lb=1 lb.

    Agreed. I roll my eyes when someone posts "help! I started drinking lemon water and taking walks but I'm not losing weight!" And derpers start with their "that's because you're putting on muscle which weighs more than fat!"

    But to me that seems like a misunderstanding about how muscle is built.
    I think that's where the misinformation should be called out but unfortunately the only argument anyone posts is "no, it's just more dense!" *eye roll*


    drinking lemon in water makes me feel hungrier and hungrier.......


  • derek1237654derek1237654 Posts: 234Member, Premium Member Posts: 234Member, Premium Member
    moe0303 wrote: »
    >:) There's too much agreement in this debate. >:)

    I like the show, but I accept it for what it is. It's not really a show about weight loss as much as it is a show about desperation. It's an absurd contest, but it's interesting. It kind of reminds me of that Schwarzenegger movie, Running Man.

    That reminds me of the arnie quote from the movie sabotage. He tells the fat cop and the skinny cop "you cant talk to me like that you dumb *kitten*. Look at you with your 48% body fat and you ,you scrawny *kitten*".
    LOL gotta love Arnie
  • zyxstzyxst Posts: 9,154Member Member Posts: 9,154Member Member
    moe0303 wrote: »
    >:) There's too much agreement in this debate. >:)

    I like the show, but I accept it for what it is. It's not really a show about weight loss as much as it is a show about desperation. It's an absurd contest, but it's interesting. It kind of reminds me of that Schwarzenegger movie, Running Man.

    I would love to see someone stab one of the trainers *cough*Jillian*cough* in the back with a pen.
  • Traveler120Traveler120 Posts: 712Member Member Posts: 712Member Member
    Am I the only one who actually likes the show? The only thing that bugs me is when they make those obese people RUN on treadmills (And there's always one who falls off!) Why put such stress on their joints when they could get just as good a workout on an elliptical with low/no impact?

    People say it's too hard and unsustainable. Well, they have nothing else to do all day so working out 4-6 hrs a day for a few months is not unreasonable. Construction workers and other hard manual laborers work all day long for years don't they?

    I don't see what's wrong with exercising hard for a few months in the luxury of the BL camp and learn how to implement lifestyle changes for the long term. Once they've lost majority of the weight at BL, they wouldn't need to workout so hard and would be able to maintain with an hour or so of daily exercise like most lean folks do. The problem of course is that most are regaining the weight because they didn't learn anything and went back to bad habits of overeating and not exercising.
    edited May 2016
Sign In or Register to comment.