Theres ALWAYS chocolate in the office!!!

Options
And cakes and toffee and sweets! I don't even have a sweet tooth and its driving me nuts. I'm on keto so no sugar (including fruit). How do other people deal with this?

Lately its been really bad; right now we have a huge heavily iced sponge cake from a wholesaler, two boxes of chocolates, two bags of cupcakes/toffees, four tubs of crispy cakes/flapjacks as well as a bag of fun sized chocolate bars. There's only ten of us!

The worst part is theres a big box of fruit that has being going rotten for over a week and I wouldn't blame the company if they stopped buying it for us! I can't wait till my birthday to bring in some apples and strawberries sculpted in roses and baby plum tomates with soft cheese as tulips (I've told people not to buy any cake etc). It's the attitude of excess that annoys me most I think!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of junk food in my office as well. I just remind myself that much of it isn't going to even taste good (like that heavily iced sponge cake, blech).
    Stick to your guns. You got this.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of junk food in my office as well. I just remind myself that much of it isn't going to even taste good (like that heavily iced sponge cake, blech).
    Stick to your guns. You got this.

This -- I think about what I could eat instead of something I would eat only because it's there (and may well have been sitting out for who knows how long or been handled).
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I never understood posts like these. Just don't eat it. When I worked in an office I had no problem saying no to the cakes, cookies, pizza etc. that would be readily available. If there was a pizza party I'd bring my salad. Birthday? I'd politely decline a slice of cake. It's not that difficult and after a while people stopped bothering me with their food because they knew I wasn't going to eat it.

I don't have a hard time saying no, I don't have a sweet tooth which is one reason why keto works for me.

"It's the attitude of excess that annoys me most I think!" It's unpleasant to surrounded by an excessive amount of unhealthy food constantly. I think it promotes a bad attitude in our office, an enabling cycle.

I don't think you realise your comment appears to be very condescending, good for us on being able to say no but let's skip to the part where we think about the collective.
  • vxCricketxv
    vxCricketxv Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I already know what these things taste like, and that the disappointment and/or guilt isn't worth a refresher bite. It's hard to resist, but you stay strong! If you can stuff it in the fridge or somewhere out of site, it helps.
  • dancing_daisy
    Options
    They are not foods, they are products.

I'm writing this one in my scrap book! Hell I might print it and stick it next to my computer! Thanks!
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Haha! Awesome!! Stay strong.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    They find reasons for cake 1-2 times a week at my work. I almost always decline, and have had some very nasty comments thrown at me for doing so. Some people take it very personally when you don't accept their cake/cookies/candies, I hate to be rude and miss out on celebrating someone, but some times skipping the party and congratulating them later privately is the better option for me.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Same in my office and worse my desk is facing the table where it is. What works for me is every time I really want something I log on to MFP and check the calories - For me the urge is gone then. These days after 2.5 years I am able to just ignore it.
    When I started to ignore the table and vocally stating Thank you but no thank you, others started to follow my example and the amount has reduced (still enough to gain 5 kgs on the stop there though)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Could you have a discussion with the source of this policy? Do others feel the same way?
  • dancing_daisy
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Could you have a discussion with the source of this policy? Do others feel the same way?

I do wonder this! I'm relatively new so not sure yet, its been a bit of an eye opener! No one really talks about it, it would make much more sense if these things were to be spaced out or atleast balanced with the fruit thats kindly provided for free.

You know now you say it, I wonder why its so difficult to bring up? No on talks about the fact that food gets throw away routinely!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I never understood posts like these. Just don't eat it. When I worked in an office I had no problem saying no to the cakes, cookies, pizza etc. that would be readily available. If there was a pizza party I'd bring my salad. Birthday? I'd politely decline a slice of cake. It's not that difficult and after a while people stopped bothering me with their food because they knew I wasn't going to eat it.

I don't have a hard time saying no, I don't have a sweet tooth which is one reason why keto works for me.

"It's the attitude of excess that annoys me most I think!" It's unpleasant to surrounded by an excessive amount of unhealthy food constantly. I think it promotes a bad attitude in our office, an enabling cycle.

I don't think you realise your comment appears to be very condescending, good for us on being able to say no but let's skip to the part where we think about the collective.

Are you worried about the abundance of toffees, cakes, and sweets because you are worried about your co-workers?
  • dancing_daisy
    Options

cbelc2 wrote: »

No on talks about the fact that food gets throw away routinely!

By food I mean products! ;)
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have a supply of Hershey kisses in my drawer just for this. I find if I have just one and let it melt in my mouth, it satisfies the craving.

I would give my preferences about your own birthday, but I wouldn't say anything about the sweets in general. "Morale killer" is an ugly name, even if it wasn't your intent.
  • dancing_daisy
    Options

Are you worried about the abundance of toffees, cakes, and sweets because you are worried about your co-workers?

I guess I'm worried we only seem to bond over a sugar high. Maybes thats why theres so much of it.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I bet you aren't the only person in the office who is tired of the excess!

I like to think of junk food in the office as being like loud and irritating people at a party- they might be there and difficult to ignore but that doesn't mean you need to waste your time on them ;)