Share - some of the crazy, underhanded, or bizarre food labeling and packaging you've come across

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was surprised by the packets of "low sodium" soy sauce... it had added sugar and corn syrup. I'd rather have the sodium! I can understand if you need a low sodium diet, but otherwise I think I can do without added sugar in my soy sauce.
    It's generally not even low sodium. Look carefully, it probably says "lower sodium" and has several hundred mg of sodium. But generally I see low fat stuff with higher sodium, than low sodium as higher sugar.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.
    Has 10% wood pulp in it, which is ok, but is it still 100% cheese?

That is sneaky! It's not 100% cheese but it is 100% grated.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Dana_E wrote: »
    Do any of you remember Olestra? Give it a google.

I remember Olestra, though I never had the privilege of trying it. It does remind me of the customer reviews on Amazon for Haribo sugar-free gummy bears. If you have ten minutes, a box of tissues, and no recent abdominal surgery, I highly recommend reading through them.

I'm nearly in tears- those reviews are hilarious!

Ah, what a pleasant trip down Memory Lane.

"Olestra - that's why they have Depends."

PS.
    Turns out Olestra wasn't food after all; it was (as you knew), an industrial product.

Olestra makes a comeback
    Olestra may no longer be in your potato chips and crackers, but you may see something close to it on the shelves of your local hardware store. Procter & Gamble, the company that makes olestra (brand name Olean), is now using olestra-like chemicals to make eco-friendly paints and lubricants.

Why would that bother you? You could use olive oil to make paint or lubricant. Would that make you stop eating it?

Not a cheat, just crazy: a can of Turkish beans in tomato sauce, net weight 450g or something, nutrition label defined a serving as 130g and claimed there were one and a half servings per can. That took a bit of sorting out, as the mfp database entry was also screwed up as a result.

I think the question is the highest economical use of the "foodstuff" in question...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I hate the labelling on soup cans. Never in my life have I eaten half a can of soup.

ETA: I have eaten just two oreos, though, because I'm a freak of nature.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    sylkates wrote: »
    [During the whole 'low fat' craze of the 90's and early 2000s, "low fat" was listed on many gummy and hard candies. *facepalm* I also remember an ad in Australia for a brand of gummy candies, and the ladies smile at the camera and exclaim that the candies are 100% FAT FREE!!!!!!! I think it was the 'Natural confectionery co'.
    Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.
    Has 10% wood pulp in it, which is ok, but is it still 100% cheese?
    Yeah, cellulose...but woodpulp is stretching it, considering cellulose is the structural component of green plant cell walls (can be used to make paper and cardboard). Cellulose is also used as a filler for many medications, and is a thickener for many foods. Hmm.

Lots of dietary cellulose DOES come from the lumber industry. Not just alarmist nonsense. Now whether or not that's bad, meh, it's generally recognized as safe. I was certainly surprised to find it out, too . I don't normally think of "trees" as "edible" but I guess I was wrong.

Cellulose is virgin wood pulp that has been processed and manufactured to different lengths for functionality, though use of it and its variant forms (cellulose gum, powdered cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, etc.) is deemed safe for human consumption, according to the FDA, which regulates most food industry
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »
    Do any of you remember Olestra? Give it a google.

I remember Olestra, though I never had the privilege of trying it. It does remind me of the customer reviews on Amazon for Haribo sugar-free gummy bears. If you have ten minutes, a box of tissues, and no recent abdominal surgery, I highly recommend reading through them.

I'm nearly in tears- those reviews are hilarious!

Ah, what a pleasant trip down Memory Lane.

"Olestra - that's why they have Depends."

PS.
    Turns out Olestra wasn't food after all; it was (as you knew), an industrial product.

Olestra makes a comeback
    Olestra may no longer be in your potato chips and crackers, but you may see something close to it on the shelves of your local hardware store. Procter & Gamble, the company that makes olestra (brand name Olean), is now using olestra-like chemicals to make eco-friendly paints and lubricants.

Why would that bother you? You could use olive oil to make paint or lubricant. Would that make you stop eating it?

Not a cheat, just crazy: a can of Turkish beans in tomato sauce, net weight 450g or something, nutrition label defined a serving as 130g and claimed there were one and a half servings per can. That took a bit of sorting out, as the mfp database entry was also screwed up as a result.

I think the question is the highest economical use of the "foodstuff" in question...

There's not much of a market for diarrhea potato chips.

Well, yeah, if there were a hair of truth in advertising, that's what they'd have to call 'em.
    Or maybe Wow! Anal Leakage Bites.
    https://otod.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/can-chips-cause-anal-leakage/

olestra.jpg

Sugar-free gummi bears would also need to be renamed.....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2DQNJRV27D3P0/

• CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My favourite will always be "C*ck Soup" complete with a picture of a rooster.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    In Norway, bags of nuts often have a warning on the label: "May contain nuts".

necro quote, but i can beat that. waiting to talk to an intake person for the canadian infantry reserves 20 years ago, i saw a tasteful little wall-mounted display showing a canadian soldier's lunchbox and all its contents.

true story. the 'meal bar' had the following words printed on it, and nothing else: DO NOT EAT WRAPPER. no wonder when i finally did talk to sergeant intake, he leaned over the desk after four minutes or so and said in this big loud whisper: why the *kitten* do you want to join the infantry?

Hmm... were these the same things eaten while bullets were flying?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

idk if there were any bullets flying in 2002. but no, this was a come-join-the-reserves-we-go-camping-and-haz-cookies thing. different at that time from the real military.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited March 2017
    Options

idk if there were any bullets flying in 2002. but no, this was a come-join-the-reserves-we-go-camping-and-haz-cookies thing. different at that time from the real military.

I know joining the military is serious *kitten* and I don't mean to make light of it...but cookies? I'm in! Did you hear about the peeps flavored oreos?

Customers Comaining Peeps Oreos Turning Poop Pink
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

omg, must be second childhood. i'm a woman who'll be 52 soon and i'm having a second-grade laughter attack. just to try and clear this thing up: i never did join the canadian army, i just mention this thing cuz it's true and it still stands as the most surreal thing i've ever seen on a foodstuff wrapper. and they did not promise cookies, but it was the reserve and the tone of their little recruiting office was very gung-ho and boy scout.

'baked' potato chips get my side-eye these days for aura usage. just cause they bake them doesn't mean that there's no oil involved.

not really on-topic, but i also found a pack of those ??shiratake?? noodles people are talking about recently and read the package for curiosity's sake. when i got to the part that said 'the smell will go away after a while' i put them right back on the shelf :tongue:

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,000 Member
    Options
    I hate the labelling on soup cans. Never in my life have I eaten half a can of soup.

Most times I eat half a can of soup - I heat up a can, I have half, my husband has half.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Most times I eat half a can of soup - I heat up a can, I have half, my husband has half.
    Usually I eat half a can and save the rest for later. But too much sodium in canned soup for me now.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

cmtigger wrote: »

Usually I eat half a can and save the rest for later. But too much sodium in canned soup for me now.

Wow. Big ups to you guys. Not being sarcastic.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Wow, it really is all fun and cookies till the war announcement comes down and the bullets come flying. :|

Regarding the wrapper, I was kind of wondering if they had to eat it when things were quite a bit more urgent; they might have been tempted to just eat it whole and there might have been some choking incidents...