Is There Anything That Doesn't Taste Good Anymore?

Options

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Never been a fan of store bought baked goods, box mix cakes or brownies or cheap chocolate, but I ate them if they were around.

Now I only waste the calories on the good stuff that I always liked better anyway, like homemade brownies, fresh gourmet donuts or good quality chocolate.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still love the taste of everything I ate before. My taste buds didn't suddenly become discerning and self-righteous just because I lost weight. I wish that brownies and salty fries tasted like doo-doo to me, but they don't, so I just eat them in moderation instead.

I don't think any of us who have listed foods or drinks that just simply don't taste as good to us as they used to are at all being self-righteous. If you note, most of what people have listed are highly processed boxed foods, fast food, and regular soda. For me personally, I had no idea my tastes would change as my diet changed. Not the case for everyone, which is fine. Not being self-righteous, either.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I'm not a food snob, at all. But it had been a couple of years since I had eaten McDonald's burgers and fries. I had both this last weekend, and they were not good. Bland, boring yuckiness that totally wasn't worth the calories. Even my 12-year-old agreed.

Burger King whoops McD's backside. So does Wendy's.
    Burger King has the better fries.
    MDs has the better nuggets. Their fries are extremely hit or miss.
    I prefer Wendy's sandwiches, ice cream or whatever you'd classify a Frosty as, and their salads. I don't like their fries though, never have.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I'm not a food snob, at all. But it had been a couple of years since I had eaten McDonald's burgers and fries. I had both this last weekend, and they were not good. Bland, boring yuckiness that totally wasn't worth the calories. Even my 12-year-old agreed.

I prefer Wendy's sandwiches, ice cream or whatever you'd classify a Frosty as, and their salads. I don't like their fries though, never have.

The fries and frosty you got right except that when the McD's fries are hot, they can't be beat.
    Now when they're cold. Poopsticks.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

The fries and frosty you got right except that when the McD's fries are hot, they can't be beat.
    Now when they're cold. Poopsticks.
    Yeah, it's kind of a luck of the draw with McDonalds. They're either among my favorite fast food fries or worse than *kitten*. My favorite would probably be Carls Jrs.

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I used to hate water and would only drink diet soda or water with Crystal Light in it. But a few years ago, after a few months of forcing myself to have nothing but plain water with lemon in it, or 0-sodium carbonated water, I ended up loving water and don't like sweet beverages for the most part, except the occasional Red Bull or VERY rare root beer or lemonade, and even then I usually go with the regular kind and not diet. The weird thing is I still can't drink water first thing in the morning- it absolutely disgusts me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Nope, I still love the taste of everything I ate before. My taste buds didn't suddenly become discerning and self-righteous just because I lost weight. I wish that brownies and salty fries tasted like doo-doo to me, but they don't, so I just eat them in moderation instead.

I don't think any of us who have listed foods or drinks that just simply don't taste as good to us as they used to are at all being self-righteous. If you note, most of what people have listed are highly processed boxed foods, fast food, and regular soda. For me personally, I had no idea my tastes would change as my diet changed. Not the case for everyone, which is fine. Not being self-righteous, either.

You would know this how, exactly?

And I beg to differ. Take a moment and read any number of the 'clean' eating threads on this board - the majority of the posts fairly ooze self-righteousness. If you're not of that limited mindset, you're miles ahead, then, and well done! :)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Cheetos is the only food off the bat that I think is gross since I started losing the weight. Overall, the range of food I like has greatly expanded, however, the quality should be high for the calories to be worth it to me.

It isn't that I hate fast food, but it is way too calorie dense, low quality, and/or expensive (for what you get) to be worth it to me 99% of the time. Now, if I have some yolo nfg cheat day or am back east for a quick visit, hell yeahz, I am going to go straight to White Castle and order me a sack of onion chips because they are great! But on just some random normal day going and getting fast food? Eh...I can make better deep fried chicken fingers, fries, and pizza at home for way cheaper.

I think also once you get in the habit of cooking for yourself on the regular, you get good at knowing what you (and your family) like as far as seasoning and preparation. Then you start to prefer your own food to the exclusion of others because no one knows how you like it better than you. The more you cook, the better you get at it, like any other skill. You can control for the quality of ingredients and it really does make a difference. We don't go out to eat even at sit down restaurants because we are often disappointed with the food and feel it wasn't worth whatever we spent on it. We try to limit eating out to places where I know I can't make such food myself or haven't mastered it for whatever reason.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm puzzled by the idea that NO restaurant food tastes good anymore. There's a huge diversity of restaurant food in the world (and even just in the US).

No kidding.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no. LOL
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Not for me. There are things that now taste good, but all the stuff I liked before I still like.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    This restaurant in particular has the best poutine I have ever had in my life. Good food from a restaurant, not puzzled at all, because good food is good and tastes good. Did I say good too many times. Sorry

http://thecorkandcraft.com/pages/menu

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    This restaurant in particular has the best poutine I have ever had in my life. Good food from a restaurant, not puzzled at all, because good food is good and tastes good. Did I say good too many times. Sorry

http://thecorkandcraft.com/pages/menu
    That's it, I'm coming to visit you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Never had poutine. I will keep the restaurant in mind should I travel out that way.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I think there is a huge difference between something not tasting good and not being worth the calories.

There are lots of foods that I think are really good, but right now I don't want to fit into my daily calorie goal. Doesn't mean those foods taste bad.

Yup! :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Never had poutine. I will keep the restaurant in mind should I travel out that way.

Poutine with really good fries and gravy and curds is good. Fast food poutine not so much
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    There are restaurants I used to love when I was younger (teenager, early 20ies) - like applebees, olive garden, red lobster, Perkins, etc. But then as I got older and was able to afford slightly nicer restaurants and groceries to cook better dishes those places have lost their appeal. I enjoy olive garden's salad, but their actual Italian food kinda stinks.

I still love red robin though! So maybe not so mature after all - lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    There are restaurants I used to love when I was younger (teenager, early 20ies) - like applebees, olive garden, red lobster, Perkins, etc. But then as I got older and was able to afford slightly nicer restaurants and groceries to cook better dishes those places have lost their appeal. I enjoy olive garden's salad, but their actual Italian food kinda stinks.

I still love red robin though! So maybe not so mature after all - lol

Applebee's! Can't think of a worse place to waste calories. The 600 and under menu isn't bad (although I haven't been recently because the options don't appeal to me anymore) but heck even before losing weight I found that the food was just not good...

But yeah, I don't really get the 'all restaurant food' tastes bad anymore either. I think that most of the things I don't like anymore is because they are either too sweet (which honestly is saying a lot for me, but it's typically drinks), or too salty (which I don't mind WHILE I eat it, but regret it all day after), or the formula has changed.

And just because some things don't appeal to me anymore doesn't mean that I wouldn't enjoy it if I ate them.. I'd just rather spend the calories on something else.