Not wanting to work out around bodybuilders?

Options

Replies

• LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I prefer my gyms to have a bit of blood on the walls.

Yes... this, exactly. Just like when I go to a bar, I want it to be a little rusty. I don't want it perfectly clean and shiny. I want that gym (or bar) to look well-used, as it was meant.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I find it more motivating, and when I am out running when I see someone who is overweight running/walking I think good for them. Because I know how it can feel by exposing yourself to others in that environment. I am thinking most of them would think the same.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I hang out at the bar quite often ;)
  • LaMartian
    Options
    I've had to toss people from my gym before, but that was for blatant disrespect of other members and the equipment. Not cleaning equipment, leaving plates everywhere... *shudder* hate that crap
  • LaMartian
    Options
    I hang out at the bar quite often ;)

Well let's make a date. Haha
  • singingflutelady
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ok, meet me in the rack ;)
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There may be the odd person who makes ither uncomfortable but the people who are really into lifting are usually great and fall into 2 categories:
    1-willing to offer advice, a spot etc
    2-headphones on and getting through their sets

The DBs who make a lot of noise working on their beach muscles, taking every dumbell and talking about inappropriate things overly loud should ignored and hopefully management give them a chat.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    [quote
    When a relatively small middle-aged female walks into the midst of a group of 18 year old guys who are swearing loudly back and forth to each other, hogging all the equipment, wrestling each other in between the equipment etc. ... she's not going to be treated very nicely when she tries to take a turn at a weight bench or something ...
    [/quote]

I'm one of those middle-aged females (height wise small, weight wise, working on it) and I'm happy to say that I've never experienced this. When I started lifting heavy last year, I was intimidated by the whole idea, mostly due to my own lack of confidence about how I looked and my lack of knowledge. I bought a bunch of sessions with a trainer (she was 5 feet tall and used to powerlift) and following her stride right into that section of the gym worked wonders for me. Learned a lot and more importantly, increased my confidence and self-esteem so that I go on my own and feel like I belong. I do tend to go during hours I know it's not usually busy, and that's for my dislike of people in general :smiley: not "those kind of people." I just hate having to share.

Giving it a chance was definitely worth it because I'm getting so much out of going.

On my way there now.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow australia has some weird gyms.

2 of the 3 gyms weren't in Australia.

And I should add that I would count the most recent 2 of those 3 gyms among my favourite gyms. I would happily go back to both again ... and have done. But just not into the weightlifting area. If you swim, take a class, or stick to cardio, it's all good. :)

The first, as I mentioned, was a university gym full of uni students loudly blowing off steam ... that was the rudest one of the 3. I have no plans to go back there again.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

I can definitely relate!!

When I was a bodybuilder, I didn't mind at all. I was right in there with them. But then I got into cycling I haven't been into bodybuilding for years.

The last 3 gyms I've been a member of, I stuck to cardio because I very quickly grew wearing of being stared at, laughed at, yelled at, and shoved out of the way.

Wow, hard to believe you've found three crappy gyms in a row like that. The odds are positively astounding. I've belonged to about 25 gyms in two different states over the last 38 years (and worked out in several more), and not once have I ever been stared at, laughed at, yelled at or shoved out of the way in any of them. And I look nothing like a bodybuilder.

One of the Gold's Gyms I was a member at was the home gym for several professional and amateur bodybuilders. Most of them were among the nicest, kindest, most helpful people I've met in a gym. A couple of them were just so tuned into their workouts that nobody and nothing else existed in the gym around them. They weren't unfriendly or mean, they were just in their own world.

All of this

I worked for golds gym while I was in school. I've never ever saw people being laughed at , shoved or yelled at .

• singingflutelady
    Options
    I'm surprised they didn't get kicked out. My gym kicks people out for much lesser crimes
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Wow australia has some weird gyms. I have never been at a gym where anyone, let alone bodybuilders swear back and forth, wrestle, etc.

I have never been yelled at, laughed at or shoved at the gym by anyone either and we have lots of super competitive high level powerlifters including a world record holder, world champion and a few national champions. They are the nicest people in the gym. I get more looks from other women, especially cardio bunnies, in the gym who think I am weird and will get bulky because I lift heavy.

I'm a 40 year old women btw.

Yeah, I'm a 44 year old female who has been to gyms all over the world (but not Australia) and have never seen that type of behavior. Not in the university gym, not in South American gyms.

I knew Australia had all the most dangerous creepy crawly things, maybe that extends to gym goers?
  • Machka9
    Options
    I'm surprised they didn't get kicked out. My gym kicks people out for much lesser crimes

I doubt a gym is going to kick out half or more of the people there.
  • LaMartian
    Options

There are also a lot of *kitten* gyms nowadays, though, due to this new fitness craze. "entrepreneurs" are just jumping onto the "gym" bandwagon and renting out any old spot, throwing in whatever equipment they can find, and calling it a gym... and any judgmental idiot can join and stay.
  • Machka9
    edited May 2016
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    Wow australia has some weird gyms. I have never been at a gym where anyone, let alone bodybuilders swear back and forth, wrestle, etc.

I have never been yelled at, laughed at or shoved at the gym by anyone either and we have lots of super competitive high level powerlifters including a world record holder, world champion and a few national champions. They are the nicest people in the gym. I get more looks from other women, especially cardio bunnies, in the gym who think I am weird and will get bulky because I lift heavy.

I'm a 40 year old women btw.

Yeah, I'm a 44 year old female who has been to gyms all over the world (but not Australia) and have never seen that type of behavior. Not in the university gym, not in South American gyms.

I knew Australia had all the most dangerous creepy crawly things, maybe that extends to gym goers?

As I just finished saying ... 2 of the 3 gyms I mentioned were not in Australia. The one gym that is in Australia is a great place ... one of my favourite gyms and I would and have happily gone back there again ... but just not into the weightlifting area.
    2 of the 3 gyms weren't in Australia.

And I should add that I would count the most recent 2 of those 3 gyms among my favourite gyms. I would happily go back to both again ... and have done. But just not into the weightlifting area. If you swim, take a class, or stick to cardio, it's all good. :)

The first, as I mentioned, was a university gym full of uni students loudly blowing off steam ... that was the rudest one of the 3. I have no plans to go back there again.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I find the body builders to be just fine at my gym, mainly keep to themselves in a large group, and sometimes hog the equipment, but always nice, and not ever there to show off, or put you down. Now the powerlifters, I find that the powerlifters love helping people if asked, and are always the most friendly people at the gym, and will always talk to anybody.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

I can definitely relate!!

When I was a bodybuilder, I didn't mind at all. I was right in there with them. But then I got into cycling I haven't been into bodybuilding for years.

The last 3 gyms I've been a member of, I stuck to cardio because I very quickly grew wearing of being stared at, laughed at, yelled at, and shoved out of the way.

Wow, hard to believe you've found three crappy gyms in a row like that. The odds are positively astounding. I've belonged to about 25 gyms in two different states over the last 38 years (and worked out in several more), and not once have I ever been stared at, laughed at, yelled at or shoved out of the way in any of them. And I look nothing like a bodybuilder.

One of the Gold's Gyms I was a member at was the home gym for several professional and amateur bodybuilders. Most of them were among the nicest, kindest, most helpful people I've met in a gym. A couple of them were just so tuned into their workouts that nobody and nothing else existed in the gym around them. They weren't unfriendly or mean, they were just in their own world.

I'm with you. I'm an old guy. I've had the opportunity to workout in a couple gyms that make most top 10 lists of hard core gyms in the US while travelling. Some of the nicest people to train around in those places.