Not wanting to work out around bodybuilders?

Options
spartan_d
spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Her loss. Guess she will have to work her schedule around the times when no "bodybuilders" are in the gym. Or find a new gym that caters to her kind of people.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What does this person mean exactly by "those types"..I could take that in a couple different directions, meaning fitness buffs or is your friend stereotyping the personalities of body builders?

I do no give a rats butt if body builders are around with I'm training.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Not so much bodybuilders but anyone who is obviously very fit, tends to motivate me more rather than make me want to give up. Think its down to two reasons, one, I don't want to look pathetic, (I may never be on their level but I can at least look like i'm trying). Plus two its a good reminder on why I do go down the gym regular. I may not have the same goals or aims as some of these people, but its a good advertisement, that working for what you want pays off.
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    some gyms are for show and some are for real workouts you just have to YMCA Lakeland Florida findbr1fx2tfugg3.jpg
    one you like
    o.jpg 147.2K
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What does this person mean exactly by "those types"..I could take that in a couple different directions, meaning fitness buffs or is your friend stereotyping the personalities of body builders?
    I decided not to ask. I figured it would be better that way.

Based on her phrasing though, I'd wager that she was buying into the some stereotype that bodybuilders are horrible people to be around.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

I can definitely relate!!

When I was a bodybuilder, I didn't mind at all. I was right in there with them. But then I got into cycling I haven't been into bodybuilding for years.

The last 3 gyms I've been a member of, I stuck to cardio because I very quickly grew wearing of being stared at, laughed at, yelled at, and shoved out of the way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »

I can definitely relate!!

When I was a bodybuilder, I didn't mind at all. I was right in there with them. But then I got into cycling I haven't been into bodybuilding for years.

The last 3 gyms I've been a member of, I stuck to cardio because I very quickly grew wearing of being stared at, laughed at, yelled at, and shoved out of the way.

Wow, hard to believe you've found three crappy gyms in a row like that. The odds are positively astounding. I've belonged to about 25 gyms in two different states over the last 38 years (and worked out in several more), and not once have I ever been stared at, laughed at, yelled at or shoved out of the way in any of them. And I look nothing like a bodybuilder.

One of the Gold's Gyms I was a member at was the home gym for several professional and amateur bodybuilders. Most of them were among the nicest, kindest, most helpful people I've met in a gym. A couple of them were just so tuned into their workouts that nobody and nothing else existed in the gym around them. They weren't unfriendly or mean, they were just in their own world.

But you're male, right?

When a relatively small middle-aged female walks into the midst of a group of 18 year old guys who are swearing loudly back and forth to each other, hogging all the equipment, wrestling each other in between the equipment etc. ... she's not going to be treated very nicely when she tries to take a turn at a weight bench or something ...

I've been a member of a lot of different gyms in two countries over the past 27 years, and most have been all right. But it probably didn't help that first one of the most recent 3 gyms was a university gym ...