Not wanting to work out around bodybuilders?

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add, when I'm looking for a spot, I ask one of the guys who is doing the heavy lifting, even if it involves some grunting (sometimes that can't be helped). Of course, I wait until they're between sets, but every time, the guy I asked has been happy to help and encouraging me for that one last rep. In my experience, lifters are some really nice people.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have been at gyms inhabited by 'roid rats. Some of those guys can be rude and intimidating.

I work out at a gym on a military base, and I don't see those kind of guys. Everybody in the weight room is respectful and helpful. I'm in my comfort zone there.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Planet Fitness created an entire business around those people. Nothing like viewing other's success as your own failure and resenting them for your own internal monologue.

I've always wondered if Planet Fitness revokes your membership if you get in shape? Although, given the mindset of their customers, it's probably never come up.

What exactly is the mindset of planet fitness customers? Care to elaborate? Prey tell oh wise one.
    Everyone can't afford a 500.00 a year gym, and I highly doubt that dictates ones mindset.

Pompous jerks, as you've demonstrated.

I'm the pompous jerk yet you're the one stereotyping a group of people's mindset because they're planet fitness customers?

Yeah nice try, way to deflect.

Yet you see no issue with the stereotyping in Planet Fitness' marketing and commercials which deliberately portray people who are physically fit as being stupid and rude.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to protest the bad taste their commercials leave in your mouth lmao!

But I'm sure is heck not going to class folks that go there as having a lesser mindset.

The problem is people who frequently buy into Planet Fitness marketing often feel victimized by others at other gyms (as planet fitness likes to perpetrate). It's frequent they feel superior because they don't judge other people.

When the reality is that gym is the judgiest most hypocritical gym ever.

If you buy into why that gym exists- you are supporting that mind set.

Being said_ i think PF is a great 1st time gym. Or a perfect 2nd gym - open all hours- less people- great for a quick workout at 2 AM. So it's one of those- you're mileage may vary- but anyone who goes there thinking that the gym is some how void of judgement or is a superior center b/c it doesn't have "meat heads" is contributing to the problem.

Well the people I know don't really care what planet fitness uses as propaganda to elicit more members.

They are there to workout. In a perfect world everyone would look behind the ethics or politics of everything we purchase.
    However we don't all do that.

So I'm not going to say all planet fitness members buy into their agenda. The ones I know are there because it's affordable and accessible.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently surprised me when she said, "Nothing de-motivates me more than having a bunch of big bodybuilders around while I'm exercising. I don't want to work out with those kind of people around."

This took me by surprise, perhaps because I can't really relate to that feeling. Does anyone else feel the same way about working out around these hardcore types? If so, why?

My gosh no. The gym is almost my second home, well, next to work.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    But you're male, right?

When a relatively small middle-aged female walks into the midst of a group of 18 year old guys who are swearing loudly back and forth to each other, hogging all the equipment, wrestling each other in between the equipment etc. ... she's not going to be treated very nicely when she tries to take a turn at a weight bench or something ...

I've been a member of a lot of different gyms in two countries over the past 27 years, and most have been all right. But it probably didn't help that first one of the most recent 3 gyms was a university gym ...

I would have to strongly disagree with this. I've encountered nothing but politeness from these dudes at the gym. And I've been a regular for over 30 years.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Planet Fitness created an entire business around those people. Nothing like viewing other's success as your own failure and resenting them for your own internal monologue.

I've always wondered if Planet Fitness revokes your membership if you get in shape? Although, given the mindset of their customers, it's probably never come up.

What exactly is the mindset of planet fitness customers? Care to elaborate? Prey tell oh wise one.
    Everyone can't afford a 500.00 a year gym, and I highly doubt that dictates ones mindset.

Planet Fitness markets to and attracts customers who are intimidated by other gyms. So based on PF's own marketing strategy, the mindset of their typical customers is one of being so easily intimidated that they talk themselves out of joining a gym based on the imagined possibility of maybe someday in the future someone doing something that might be interpreted as intimidating. These are people who go around imagining that everyone else is constantly "judging" them.

I pay $120/year at my gym btw.
  • ummijaaz560
    Options

Planet Fitness markets to and attracts customers who are intimidated by other gyms. So based on PF's own marketing strategy, the mindset of their typical customers is one of being so easily intimidated that they talk themselves out if joining a gym based on the imagined possibility of maybe someday in the future someone doing something that might be interpreted as intimidating. These are people who go around imagining that everyone else is constantly "judging" them.

I don't know any of my family or friends who walks around thinking about people in gyms judgment of them. They go to workout.

Two of my 17 year old younger cousins working part time weekend jobs go because they can afford it.

My husband goes because we have two young children and it would take him 90 minutes traveling to and from the nearest big box gym. Not including getting his workout in.

Never once have I overheard them extolling the virtue of planet fitness' platform, avowing to be life long members. Because they "love what planet fitness stands for"?

Whole Foods sells meat, guess who some of their biggest customers are.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    Options

Planet Fitness markets to and attracts customers who are intimidated by other gyms. So based on PF's own marketing strategy, the mindset of their typical customers is one of being so easily intimidated that they talk themselves out if joining a gym based on the imagined possibility of maybe someday in the future someone doing something that might be interpreted as intimidating. These are people who go around imagining that everyone else is constantly "judging" them.

I don't know any of my family or friends who walks around thinking about people in gyms judgment of them. They go to workout.

Two of my 17 year old younger cousins working part time weekend jobs go because they can afford it.

My husband goes because we have two young children and it would take him 90 minutes traveling to and from the nearest big box gym. Not including getting his workout in.

Never once have I overheard them extolling the virtue of planet fitness' platform, avowing to be life long members. Because they "love what planet fitness stands for"?

Whole Foods sells meat, guess who some of their biggest customers are.

The marketing department at PF disagrees.
  • tinaisstillwell
    tinaisstillwell Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym to get fit! If you care about other people's opinion of you, you're there for the wrong reason! I've never had a problem with bodybuilders in the gym, but in the beginning, I was intimidated, but soon realized it was me that had the problem, not them with me. I hope your friend gets over it, and focuses on the process of getting fit.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Planet Fitness markets to and attracts customers who are intimidated by other gyms. So based on PF's own marketing strategy, the mindset of their typical customers is one of being so easily intimidated that they talk themselves out of joining a gym based on the imagined possibility of maybe someday in the future someone doing something that might be interpreted as intimidating. These are people who go around imagining that everyone else is constantly "judging" them.

I think their strategy is actually to attract people that will not go to the gym. It's genius, if you think about it. The idea is to discourage the serious weightlifters (aka the segment of their potential customer base that would take the most advantage of their super-low price) and attract the more casual gym-goer who is more likely to keep an unsed $10/mo plan because they might workout next week. It's a whole business based on slippage.
  • ummijaaz560
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

I think their strategy is actually to attract people that will not go to the gym. It's genius, if you think about it. The idea is to discourage the serious weightlifters (aka the segment of their potential customer base that would take the most advantage of their super-low price) and attract the more casual gym-goer who is more likely to keep an unsed $10/mo plan because they might workout next week. It's a whole business based on slippage.

Exactly, that's why they won't get a power rack. All about the dollar.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    Options

Which is exactly the mindset I mentioned in the first place. PF doesn't have to worry about people with that mindset ever getting "too fit" so they'd have to revoke membership. I'm glad you've finally come around to agreement with my original point.
  • ummijaaz560
    Options

Which is exactly the mindset I mentioned in the first place. PF doesn't have to worry about people with that mindset ever getting "too fit" so they'd have to revoke membership. I'm glad you've finally come around to agreement with my original point.

Nope I never debated with you on what PLANET FITNESS stands for. I challenged you to not put everyone of their customers in the "lesser mindset " category simple because they go there.

My people go there, and they are decent hardworking individuals that just want to get fit.
    They don't care what foolishness planet fitness tries to pass off as their agenda.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    Options

Nope I never debated with you on what PLANET FITNESS stands for. I challenged you to not put everyone of their customers in the "lesser mindset " category simple because they go there.

My people go there, and they are decent hardworking individuals that just want to get fit.
    They don't care what foolishness planet fitness tries to pass off as their agenda.

Just not "too fit". As in so fit you'd need a power rack. Or a barbell. Or to work out so intensely that you involuntarily make grunt or appear to strain in any way. Or looked too fit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/too-fit-for-planet-fitness_n_5002658.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/18/nyregion/18grunt.html?_r=0
  • ummijaaz560
    Options

Just not "too fit". As in so fit you'd need a power rack. Or a barbell. Or to work out so intensely that you involuntarily make grunt or appear to strain in any way. Or looked too fit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/too-fit-for-planet-fitness_n_5002658.html

Yeah well whatever. As long as my husband is around to help raise our children we're happy.

And I'm proud of my 17 year old younger cousins that have taken to working out and being active. They are wise in knowing now what most people only have come to know from mfp.
    Any activity is better than none and the journey to fitness is yours alone.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    Options

Yeah well whatever. As long as my husband is around to help raise our children we're happy.

And I'm proud of my 17 year old younger cousins that have taken to working out and being active. They are wise in knowing now what most people only have come to know from mfp.
    Any activity is better than none and the journey to fitness is yours alone.

As long as you and your husband and your children are healthy and happy, I'm happy too. Have a great rest of your day :)