Not wanting to work out around bodybuilders?

Options

Replies

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness created an entire business around those people. Nothing like viewing other's success as your own failure and resenting them for your own internal monologue.

I've always wondered if Planet Fitness revokes your membership if you get in shape? Although, given the mindset of their customers, it's probably never come up.

The planet fitness I go to has a lot of people there who are in great shape. They're still going.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    It is nice to see a few folks here managed to reinforce the stereotype that OP is referring to. I mean, putting down folks who go to PF and disregarding it as a real gym because of their marketing strategy/business model? Really? How rude. How superior of you to laugh at them.

I don't go to PF due to other reasons (no way I am giving ANYONE my bank account), but how they operate their business is not one of them.

Wow point missed.

But anyway- THEIR ENTIRE MARKET STRATEGY SAYS THEY ARE NOT A GYM.

BY THEIR OWN WORDS.

Not a single person is putting DOWN someone for choosing to go their- we are pointing out that people who buy into the hypocritical marketing strategy and support that mentality- and yes- people do. And they claim to be none judgmental- and it's the single most judgey gym there is. VS- even a hard core black metal gym- those guys are SUPER nice- they may be loud- they may be big- and they may listen to viking death metal- but they are the first ones to run to help you if you get pinned on your bench- they are the ones who will spot you when you squat and not let you fail.
    They are the ones yelling for you to pull that lift.

You won't get that kind of support at planet fitness.

+1

Planet Fitness doesn't want me as a member and freely mocks my workout choice and I feel just as free to mock their use of the word gym. I also am completely free to encourage others to avoid the place like the plague.

I won't mock anyone for going there but if you ask questions about how to get better rests I will first suggest you start going to a gym.

I also never knew there were so many bodybuilders in the gyms, especially the young ones who shove people around. I guess I have a much different definition of bodybuilder. In any of the gyms I have been at I can just imagine how fast the real bodybuilders (and even more so the powerlifters) would be "helping" the young boys out the door.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it. Did your friend provide reasons for why they'd be less motivated by bodybuilders? Personally I love working out around people that are serious about working out. I think sometimes people assume bodybuilders are jerks because their hyper-focus may make them seem unapproachable or angry, but I find nothing can be further from the truth.

As I said earlier, I decided it would be best if I didn't ask. I did, however, ask how she'd feel about people who said that they didn't like having overweight people exercising nearby while they were working out. She didn't have anything to say in response.

BTW, I wasn't going to mention this, but because other people already brought it up... This friend is indeed a Planet Fitness member. In fact, the subject came up because she was explaining to me why she thinks highly of Planet Fitness and their policies.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it. Did your friend provide reasons for why they'd be less motivated by bodybuilders? Personally I love working out around people that are serious about working out. I think sometimes people assume bodybuilders are jerks because their hyper-focus may make them seem unapproachable or angry, but I find nothing can be further from the truth.

BTW, I wasn't going to mention this, but because other people already brought it up... This friend is indeed a Planet Fitness member. In fact, the subject came up because she was explaining to me why she thinks highly of Planet Fitness and their policies.

raw

• spartan_d
    Options
    The planet fitness I go to has a lot of people there who are in great shape. They're still going.
    Y'know, I've seen a lot of people claim that their PF locations are filled with highly muscular dudes and other people in great shape. The clear implication is that these people got that way because of PF.

I don't think that conclusion is warranted, though. The weight selection at PF certainly wouldn't be very conducive to putting on a whole lot of muscle. Even the cardio facilities there are quite limited. Good for treadmill running, for example, but not for a whole lot of other endurance training.

Based on conversations with various gym-goers and PF members, I'd wager that these people in "great shape" are probably using PF as a cheap secondary gym. I've had cheap secondary gyms myself at various stages of my fitness journey. I've also known people who got in shape elsewhere, but who wound up going to PF later because they needed to cut back on their expenses.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness created an entire business around those people. Nothing like viewing other's success as your own failure and resenting them for your own internal monologue.

I've always wondered if Planet Fitness revokes your membership if you get in shape? Although, given the mindset of their customers, it's probably never come up.

I shall go back to my original comment "planet fitness is an excellent second gym"
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    oh well what can you do? I agree that planet fitness is hypocritical with their policies and agenda. They advertise being 'judgment free', but instead place that judgment on bodybuilders or the fit community. If she doesn't want to work out around bodybuilders I would assume it is due to some insecurity on her part. I will say some PF locations are less likely to enforce the anti-fitness community rules (like those against certain clothing, gallon water jugs, or loading a machine to its capacity).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I don't understand that line of thought. I was intimidated by the weight section at first, but that was just me overthinking things and didn't really have to do with who was actually in there. So far (and it's been a little over a year now since I first ventured into weights), everyone has been nice and helpful.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The only people I side eye are those people who come in during rush hour, grab a bench with seven sets of dumbbells, put a towel to reserve the dip machine, put there water bottle in the squat rack and proceed to take up half the gym for their workout and if you try to work in any of those they take it as a personal insult.

There is a special place in hell for those people.

Moral of the story: If you are doing the above then yes they are looking at you and hope you leave lol.

Otherwise, in between sets there isn't much to do other than people watch.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    The only people I side eye are those people who come in during rush hour, grab a bench with seven sets of dumbbells, put a towel to reserve the dip machine, put there water bottle in the squat rack and proceed to take up half the gym for their workout and if you try to work in any of those they take it as a personal insult.

In that case, it's squat day for me. Even if yesterday was squat day.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    mrsjowen1 wrote: »
    I have just started at the YMCA and I really haven't talked to anyone at all. I'm sure everyone is friendly but the weight room is mostly men, most of which are the bodybuilder type. When I went in today they all watch to see who's coming in and it makes me uncomfortable. I have used weights before and I don't need to be monitored. They are mostly older men (50+) or teen guys sitting around lifting and watching everything the women do. Its just not an environment I am comfortable in. Maybe that will change as I meet people or become a regular but I don't like the "being on display" feeling.

I get what you mean about being on display. I've been at my gym for years, and I get the same thing with the young guys and the older guys. The young guys seem to be there for social hour instead of working out - they hang around on the equipment for 15 minutes without doing a set gossiping loudly about the people around them (guys and girls alike, moreso the guys). They're also not "regulars" - I'm near a college, so these guys will sign up for a few months then disappear after the semester ends, never to return. Some of the older guys are far worse. They'll come up and talk to me mid-set, and I catch them staring at me in the mirror. There's not much I can do about the staring, but I do let them know their interruptions aren't welcome.

As for the actual bodybuilders/regular lifters - those guys and gals are cool. They're there to work, and there's no nonsense about it. If the gym is really busy, I sometimes feel bad about taking up a bench with my puny 60 lb bench press, but that's fully my issue. They never give me pressure about finishing up a set. They spot me if I need it, and a couple of them have helped me fix my form.

Keep going to the weight area. The regulars who mean business will recognize you and stop thinking "oh, new person" very quickly. The others... Well, if any of them really bother you, talk to management about it. But you have every right to be there and do your thing, so don't let them intimidate you out of it with their behavior.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ITT: people arguing about who judges more and the PF business model. /thread
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ryry62685 wrote: »

In that case, it's squat day for me. Even if yesterday was squat day.

I think I know where you are going with this but not quite sure.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

What exactly is the mindset of planet fitness customers? Care to elaborate? Prey tell oh wise one.
    Everyone can't afford a 500.00 a year gym, and I highly doubt that dictates ones mindset.

Pompous jerks, as you've demonstrated.

I'm the pompous jerk yet you're the one stereotyping a group of people's mindset because they're planet fitness customers?

Yeah nice try, way to deflect.

Yet you see no issue with the stereotyping in Planet Fitness' marketing and commercials which deliberately portray people who are physically fit as being stupid and rude.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to protest the bad taste their commercials leave in your mouth lmao!

But I'm sure is heck not going to class folks that go there as having a lesser mindset.

The problem is people who frequently buy into Planet Fitness marketing often feel victimized by others at other gyms (as planet fitness likes to perpetrate). It's frequent they feel superior because they don't judge other people.

When the reality is that gym is the judgiest most hypocritical gym ever.

If you buy into why that gym exists- you are supporting that mind set.

Being said_ i think PF is a great 1st time gym. Or a perfect 2nd gym - open all hours- less people- great for a quick workout at 2 AM. So it's one of those- you're mileage may vary- but anyone who goes there thinking that the gym is some how void of judgement or is a superior center b/c it doesn't have "meat heads" is contributing to the problem.

So much awesome in this!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

As I said earlier, I decided it would be best if I didn't ask. I did, however, ask how she'd feel about people who said that they didn't like having overweight people exercising nearby while they were working out. She didn't have anything to say in response.

lol - that's actually the best part about PF. It helps keep these types out of real gyms. Still, it's brilliant marketing. Just like diet water and low fat cupcakes.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I like PF for no other reason than the price. It's a great value, but I just see their business strategy for what it is. It works for them.

I'll throw another controversial place out there that took almost the exact opposite approach and is also successful....CrossFit. Instead of building a place devoid of "meatheads" they make a place where you're forced to workout with them. Their pricing is crazy high instead of dirt cheap. They exclude treadmills, ellipticals, and weight machines, but embrace most free weights. Both places create a community environment either through exclusion (planet fitness) or inclusion (CrossFit). Both of their customer bases seem to be enthusiastic about where they work out.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Another difference: CrossFit is highly effective. Planet Fitness? Not so much.

"But I lost X number of pounds at Planet Fitness!" some people say. Good for them. The reality, however, is that when you're just starting out, just about any form of exercise will help you lose fat. People would generally be better of going someplace that provides more effective equipment and does not prohibit the more effective exercises.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Another difference: CrossFit is highly effective. Planet Fitness? Not so much.

"But I lost X number of pounds at Planet Fitness!" some people say. Good for them. The reality, however, is that when you're just starting out, just about any form of exercise will help you lose fat. People would generally be better of going someplace that provides more effective equipment and does not prohibit the more effective exercises.

Or going some place that they can afford. Not everyone can afford an expensive gym.
  • spartan_d
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Granted. At no point do I dispute that. I'm only talking about the effectiveness of a facility, and I don't disagree that finances may limit one's options.

PF is dirt-cheap, and that is one of it's few saving graces. It's pretty bad otherwise, but as I've always said, it might be the only reasonable option for people who are utterly broke.

BTW, there are a typically other options between "expensive gym" and "$10/month." Anytime Fitness, for example, costs only a little bit more than PF, and it does allow the more effective exercises. So do a lot of small mom-and-pop style gyms.